Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for May 2019: The Fighting Temeraire  (Read 5032 times)

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
Re: Tune of the Month for May 2019: The Fighting Temeraire
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 04:45:17 PM »

Here's my version, you just pick up the old Preciosa, switch it on, and it do play itself :-)

https://youtu.be/NcFFsaj5j1s

We're in C minor on a Bb/Eb box.

I think I found my problem with the box.  I can't find that switch...
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Sebastian

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 07:50:51 PM »

It’s the last day(s) of May and maybe you will forgive me to supplement this thread with a non-melodeon entry of this charming tune. (For the past months I’ve concentrated on the concertina.) :|bl

Contemplating the dots I had decided that the B part has a major melody and hence forms a contrast to the A part. Furthermore I used "removed thirds" in the A part.  ;)

https://youtu.be/bEPY_2bcypw

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:41 PM »

Hello,

So, my adventure with The Fighting Temeraire has been pretty short and, ultimately, fairly straight forward. It's a great tune to spend some time with and play with the your box expression. Plus, it turns out, my parents have had a print of the Fighting Temeraire on their wall in their dining room for probably longer than I've been around, so, I thought there was no option but to bring it in as a special guest. It's a little worse for wear, but, aren't we all? I always thought the little post thing in the bottom right looked a little bit like a dog, turning to look at you.

At any rate, my submission is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPeASzPEfw

I opted for a shorter, fakeout-style ending rather than the 3 Bs Sandy goes for, and liked the idea of, over the course of the tune, pushing the basses almost at the expense of the melody, but, ultimately little license taken. At least I think, anyway, it's very hard to see the details of Sandy's bass end playing, and I've to date, little chance of figuring that aspect out by ear. I think I may have pilfered a C/E from McGrooger!

I'd also really like to commend Clive's submission, here, I really love the work he does with the the bass fundamentals. His bass end up set up is very effective for this tune, and I think he uses it really well.

It's been honestly very interesting to see all the different places people have taken this tune this month.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »

Thanks all (and thanks Gena for your kind words!); time to move to the next tune! As ever, please put late contributions (or even on time contributions, since I'm closing it a bit early) on the end of the thread - no problem.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 11:02:08 PM »

Hello,

At any rate, my submission is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPeASzPEfw

I'd also really like to commend Clive's submission, here, I really love the work he does with the the bass fundamentals. His bass end up set up is very effective for this tune, and I think he uses it really well.
Good, honest rendition.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ransom

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2019, 12:32:25 AM »

https://youtu.be/CFSb_69bam0

The octave switch was a great move, and I like the pickup you slipped in there to reset the bellows. That's one I should add to my toolbox.

BamaBino

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2023, 01:41:39 AM »

Hello,

Would someone share the chords that you used for this tune?

Thank you.

Saltarelle Bouebe B/C
Irish Dancemaster B/C
Billy McComiskey Learner Special Edition B/C

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »

Would someone share the chords that you used for this tune?

Probably take a watch of Sandy's fingers in her video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcC4H5jvv8o

I'm pretty sure she's playing with no thirds, so, here's an approximate guide, I've put in parentheses some of the extra bits I believe she's doing in the middle repeat through You can ignore these though, I'm just trying to be thorough. Probably best to listen to her playing for the rhythm, also, as I find it's best to avoid oom pahing through it if you can.

Em /  /  /  | Em /  /  /  | D  /  /  /  | D  /  /  /  |
C  /  C(+E5)| C(+E5)/  /  | D  /  Bm /  | Em /  /  /  |

Bm /  Em /  | C  D  G  /  | C  /  G  /  | D  /  /  D(+C)
Bm /  C(+E5)| C  D  G  /  | C  /  D  /  | G  /  /  /  |

The good news is I've learnt I should have paid a little more attention to the specifics of this tune and now have the knowledge to correct a couple of my own omissions. The distinct 2nd bars on each line of the B part of the music is something that somehow escaped many of us when this was TOTM but does seem quite clear in Sandy's Playing & in the transcription originally provided, sooooo ????
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal