Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: removing rubber stuck to buttons  (Read 1222 times)

alexalexander

removing rubber stuck to buttons
« on: May 03, 2019, 09:03:16 AM »

Hi - I've looked through the forum to see if there were already suggestions for this odd problem but didn't find any.  I've been given a b flat/ e flat club Hohner, but for some reason a previous owner has stuck a piece of rubber on top of many of the buttons.  I want to remove these but would like advice on what solvents to avoid as obviously I don't want to damage the buttons underneath.  I was planning on cutting the rubber off as close to the buttons as possible and then dissolving off any glue, but if dissolving the glue seems impractical I could try polishing the buttons clean.  Any advice?  Many thanks, Alex.
D/G Club with Stradella bass (Mengascini), D/G Club with Stradella bass (Castagnari), Hohner Club IIIM D/G, Hohner 2-row D/G pokerwork, Hohner 1-row C, Hohner Club Bb/Eb,  anglo concertina.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: removing rubber stuck to buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 09:18:04 AM »

Difficult! I wouldn't cut the rubber off, as it gives you something to get hold of when removing them. I suggest that you try a proprietary brand of solvent that is sold to remove the gooey residue left by sticky labels. With the obvious proviso of testing it somewhere obscured, before using it on the rest.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 09:28:55 AM »

The buttons on older club Hohners are made of either casein or mother of pearl, neither of which are much affected by organic solvents.  But the keyboard top is celluloid which is. so remove the keyboard top plate before you start.

The rubber itself will also be impervious to many solvents, so I suggest trying to peel the rubber off, or if that doesn't work cut it off as close as possible to the button.  That will allow any solvents you use to get to the adhesive.  I would try the following (in approximate order of aggressiveness). 1 meths (alcohol), 2 lighter fluid (naptha) 3 cellulose paint thinners 4 acetone.  1 and 2 are safe on celluloid, 3 and 4 will dissolve celluloid on contact so be careful.  Work in a well ventilated space and take fire precautions.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

alexalexander

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 03:53:48 PM »

thanks for the suggestions.  I'll probably start next the work next week and will report back the success or otherwise in case anyone else finds this strange problem.
D/G Club with Stradella bass (Mengascini), D/G Club with Stradella bass (Castagnari), Hohner Club IIIM D/G, Hohner 2-row D/G pokerwork, Hohner 1-row C, Hohner Club Bb/Eb,  anglo concertina.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 04:21:31 PM »

Looks like a ploy to beat the disappearing into hole. button trick.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Broadland Boy

• Awful noises from Pokerwork, HA114G, BbEb Liliputs
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »

If the above do not work, a small rotary wire brush in a Dremel type hand tool ought to be controllable  enough to shift the remaining rubber & adhesive without spoiling the buttons, which will probably need a dress up anyway if the solvent attack works out.
Richard A
Venit ventus contrarius ventus egrediente,
Omnes prope quid ventum est circa

alexalexander

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »

I finally got round to working on this box.  It proved to be simpler than I feared.  On most of the buttons, the rubber pinged off with the glue leaving a clean button.  I cut and scraped the rubber off the rest.  I didn't need any solvent and polished all the buttons up with a dremel plus mop.  Interestingly, when I removed the fingerboard cover, I found details written inside showing the instrument had belonged to an accordeon academy in Geneva (one which shut a long time ago).  Still no idea why most of the buttons had rubber stuck on them though - it was like that when my friend who gave it to me first acquired it.  Many thanks to all who made suggestions on how to procede.

WestOz

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 01:53:14 AM »

My guess is you will find out why the rubber button extensions were put there when you play it - as Cugiok suggests, to prevent the buttons from disappearing down the holes - plenty on Melnet as to how to fix this issue.
Castagnari Dony, DB Oakwood, Hohner Pressedwood,Liliput,Preciosa,Octoput,etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal