Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for a Simple Jig and a March/Polka, Recommendations?  (Read 1891 times)

Richard J Delong

• Good talker

Hello!

I'm a beginner on a G/C Pokerwork and I've learned a few simple French waltzes recently and a 2/4 French 'polkas' and I like to continue learning with a 6/8 (jig or otherwise) and a 2/4 polka or march, in any style, that would also have straightforward oom-pah bass accompaniments.  My thinking is that I don't want to get too subconsciously acclimated to the 1-2-3 oom-pah-pah of the waltzes (which have been wonderful), then struggle with other rhythms later. 

As a note, I really like learning with the tabs, as I can see how the basses are notated with the melody, but I'm open to any good suggestions you all may have for beginner tunes.  I'm familiar with some of French tab websites (Mr. Loffett's and a few others), but haven't found the right tunes yet.  I'm hoping for 'inspiring' or empowering tunes, in the sense that I do like a challenge but I'd rather get more familiar with the basic time signatures first and be able to play the basses, rather than bogged-down with more demanding and complex melodies.

Lastly, I do like English tunes and have never played any before, and I don't mind the resulting lower pitch on the G/C since its just me and the front yard...

Thank you all!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Re: Searching for a Simple Jig and a March/Polka, Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 03:18:17 AM »

The first jig I learned was The Cock of the North. Very simple tune on four fingers so you don't even have to move your right hand around.

I think in some ways you're lucky to have learned waltz time first, as many people seem to find it the hardest rhythm in which to get the two hands working independently.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 07:16:29 AM »

You might try Oscar Wood's Jig (or possibly Tiger Smith's Jig), as it's from East Anglian may well have been played in C

https://youtu.be/1eQRWP4Twwc

Richard J Delong

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:20:56 AM »

Wow both those are excellent tunes, thank you!  I feel comfortable reading the ABC notation from some tin whistle playing, but this will be my first attempt of working out the melody by ear and with the ABC notation as a guide - looking forward to it! 

I wondered if anyone knows of any websites that contain tabs for English (or Scottish and Irish) tunes worked out for melodeon?  I'm excited to learn more by ear and work with ABC, but my goodness it's so easy to have the button numbers, bellows direction, and basses all laid out in that tab format!  I've found plenty of French sites, and a few Italian and Dutch sites, all packed with diatonic accordion tabs, but wondered if English resources existed?  Such wonderful music!  It's been a pleasure to listen to Lester's YouTube page as well as Anahata's and become more familiar with the English style - very distinct and I love it!  I must say that from an entirely distanced perspective (of growing up in the rural US and now living in Hawaii for many years) English music sounds about as wonderful as you could hope for!  3/2 Hornpipes, incredible!  I love Irish and Scottish music and have had a little more exposure to those, but it's been meaningful to appreciate English music recently... I stumbled upon some old videos recently of folks flat-foot dancing to what sounded like a hornpipe played on what looked like an old Pokerwork (maybe in the 50s or 60s) and apparently in 'East Anglia'... lit me up!  You can really see the connection to buck dancing and other styles, which still thrives in some parts of the U.S...  Are these flatfoot dancing traditions still being kept alive in England?  Morris dancing looks like a world into itself, but perhaps different histories and cultural connections??

Lastly, if others read this, I meant to mention in my initial tune request that I've noticed that the less bellows-direction changes (in musical mid-phrase, I mean) the easier for me at this point... I'm really appreciating the simple, long movements of the bellows...  hoping that will change quickly though!

Thank you!

Rich

george garside

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »

a nice but very easy 6/8 march or 2 step is the Blaydon Races in which a lot of same notes notes are repeated  so to sound good its down to playing the right rhythm. Could also be played as a jig?. 

Winster gallop is possibly the most played English reel,

One example of a good tune book is 'English Folk tunes for accordion by DAve Oliver. and there are lots of others. Also stacks on t'internet. 

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 08:40:41 AM »

Wow both those are excellent tunes, thank you!  I feel comfortable reading the ABC notation from some tin whistle playing, but this will be my first attempt of working out the melody by ear and with the ABC notation as a guide - looking forward to it!

If you persevere with ABC it will open a whole world of tunes to you.
I recommend this guy for tunes played simply with ABC for them all.   ;)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »

Redesdale Hornpipe can be played with a fairly simple bass too.

SJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKIuxM47duI
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

george garside

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 01:31:17 PM »

I have persevered with abc but obviously not enough as I just cant get the hang of it. That's not because there is anything wrong with it its just me.  My brain must have odd wiring as  I struggle to site read from the dots on a DG box but find it comparatively easy on a semitone BC or BCC# . ?????????

george

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 02:43:40 PM »

Good guy too!

I think this tune was easy to learn.
 https://lesters-tune-a-day.blogspot.com/2013/04/tune-220-ty-gardd.html

I don’t pick up to many tunes straight away by ear but this one came to me easy ( the notes anyway;).
So if you listen it might come to you, you may not get all the notes ( I didn’t) .

You can play this one on four buttons (with a little adjustment on one note) treble side.
I like to mix it up and jump down one button to get the right note every now and then.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 06:16:41 PM »

A catchy jig in 4 parts:

The 42nd Atholl Highlanders.  Four theme parts backed with the same last bar. Good pipe tune and dead easy to put in some "warbles" on adjacent buttons.

https://youtu.be/WgBz_hb9QZ0

Daddy Long Les also has a tutorial and a "performance" video for it if you search YT.

Good luck, have fun!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 06:23:05 PM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 11:19:58 AM »

For a March I like Adieu aux fils de mon pays.   It is very straightforward as a simple 2 chord tune

But also easy to bring your D/G's C/C bass in as you learn more  … you can even do 'minor' things with it … should you go on to 'A' level  ;)

A simple easy play '4 button' tune with many ways to progress your skills later on (:)
  _       _    _      _ 

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 04:52:42 PM »

A catchy jig in 4 parts:

The 42nd Atholl Highlanders.  Four theme parts backed with the same last bar. Good pipe tune and dead easy to put in some "warbles" on adjacent buttons.

Be careful with this tune as its written in A and most people will play it in that key.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 05:23:40 PM »

A catchy jig in 4 parts:

Be careful with this tune as its written in A and most people will play it in that key.

True enough.  I tend to divide up the tunes to "outside row/inside row" tunes first, then the usual key second. 
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

george garside

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 07:58:32 PM »

tunes  in A played  on the D row of a dg box are not difficult to learn  ( faking the G# if its in the tune or using the chin end accidental with the thumb)  It soes however help considerably if  the A scale  is practiced

button 5 push/pull
           6  pull /push
           7  pull/push
           8  push/push   or push chin end acc the push button 8

easy tun es are cock of the north, 100 pipers,  and many other pipe tunes both G sharpless so no faking

the rowan tree  - needs G sharp in wrong octove or faked. 

Blaydon races - chin end G# in right octave

george

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 11:24:24 PM by george garside »

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:19 PM »

I stumbled upon some old videos recently of folks flat-foot dancing to what sounded like a hornpipe played on what looked like an old Pokerwork (maybe in the 50s or 60s) and apparently in 'East Anglia'... lit me up!  You can really see the connection to buck dancing and other styles, which still thrives in some parts of the U.S...  Are these flatfoot dancing traditions still being kept alive in England? 
Rich
Yes indeed! In particular in East Anglia(Norfolk and Suffolk) and Dartmoor. It is really fun/satisfying playing for this style.

Peadar

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 09:20:09 PM »

The Dorset Four hand Reel - is a really good rant ( Rant- a reel with four pounding beats to every bar). If you settle for playing it in the lower octave it's strictly four buttons- it also has a beginners bellows waggle in it, which is fun and all you need on the bass end is to hit the Fundemental/Major buttons rythmically  in no particular order ... though I suspect you find an order which sounds right to you - works for me on the old 3 stop anyway.

Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

george garside

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 10:51:10 PM »

tapping the bass buttons as if red hot  sounds better , effectively using the bass as slightly tuned percussion together with playing the bass to the dancers feet  makes jigs, marches and polkas sound good

george
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal