Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mirror image perhaps?  (Read 1261 times)

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
Mirror image perhaps?
« on: May 13, 2019, 02:59:20 PM »

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:François_Barraud_-_Le_Malcontent.jpg

I just came across this oddity.
Artistic error? Mirror image? Just careless?
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Mirror image perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »

Or left handed player?
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 03:27:43 PM »

I am - nominally - left handed - scissors, irons, saws - not melodeons though - nor guitars for that matter - Hmm - would it be a special build or a squeaky end at the top ….
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 03:34:01 PM »

I know one left handed player who just turns round the standard box and plays like that.  I know another player who is right handed that does the same - I have no idea why.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »

I know one left handed player who just turns round the standard box and plays like that.  I know another player who is right handed that does the same - I have no idea why.

I too play "left Handed", or more accurately Upside down !! by shifting the air Key on my boxes, and simply inverting the instrument. There are no alterations to the layout of the notes Etc.
 This came about because before taking up the melodeon I played a bit of guitar and bass guitar, and it seemed logical to make the notes by using the fingers of the LEFT hand whilst using the right for the more rhythmic/percussive functions, (Ie the basses and bellows) as one would on a guitar.
I don't think I'm that rare in being an upside down player,.. I know of at least four others in Kent and The west country. .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:26:28 AM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 11:31:04 AM »

I write left handed, hold a cricket bat right handed, played guitar right handed, start painting left, then transfer th brush to the right.... essentially use whatever hand is closest.
I play melodeon 'normally' right handed.
I've never met a left hander or upside down player but know they exist. I've also seen videos on YouTube where the camera or system has reversed the image to make a right hander look left handed!
All's fair in love and melodeons  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 12:19:27 PM »

I've never met a left hander or upside down player but know they exist. I've also seen videos on YouTube where the camera or system has reversed the image to make a right hander look left handed!
All's fair in love and melodeons  (:)
Q
[/quote].

I shall be Old Father Christmas for Sidmouth Mummers on the Opening (Thursday) Night of Sidders Folk Festival, as well as playing Upside Down Melodeon with The merry throng accompanying George The Sidmouth Giant on his Walk around Town on The Saturday !!   come and meet your first real Life Upside down melodeonist,...…  I don't bite, honest !!!.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:21:41 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 12:33:16 PM »

It's not a mirror image, there is writing in the bottom right hand corner of the picture that is the right way around. I'm another left-hander that plays guitar and box right-handed.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 05:04:00 PM »

The writing at the bottom is irrelevant to the query. It is merely the painter’s name and the title of the picture. While I can confirm it is possible to play some melodeons left-handed even without alteration (I tried my Hohner Club very briefly) I’m going for the mirror image theory. Several self-portraits by this artist all show him as left-handed. Not unusual for an artist – but his clothes always button up the ‘wrong way’. In this picture, the subjects appear to be the artist and his wife; her top buttons up the ‘wrong way’ as well, so my guess is that when he painted from a mirror reflection he didn't correct it.

Larry Powers

• Good talker
  • Bouchard 10+4 in D, Lilly D/C#
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 05:21:33 PM »

The writing at the bottom is irrelevant to the query. It is merely the painter’s name and the title of the picture.

Not irrelevant to me.  Often stock photos are flipped over (creating a mirror image) because they fit the page better.  That is the first thing I thought of when I read this post.  If this happens then the writing would be backwards.  Since this did not happen then it appears the artist painted it this way. 

Maybe a left handed model as others have suggested.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal