Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shoulder Strap Recommendations?  (Read 5998 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Shoulder Strap Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2019, 09:03:04 PM »

Excuse the thread drift, but what system of box was he playing? He likes to throw Ebs in now and again, including one at 1:20 in a pasage that sounds like D-Eb-D played in one bellows direction. Not a semitone box surely??  :o

Quite possibly his infamous G/D box. If not the direction of the accidentals is variable so D-Eb-D is quite possible depending on the installation

Thanks.

Chris Brimley

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »

Notice how standing up players usually use the thumb grip technique?  Fine unless you have to move the fingers around a lot, I'm afraid.  Like I say, controversial but true!  Just Physics, I'm afraid.

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »

"thumb grip" (if it means pressing the thumb against the back of the keyboard) is probably most useful for a standing player using a fourth-apart box.  You need to move up and down the keyboard a lot more on a (B/C) semitone box and have to keep your thumb on the edge of the keyboard to enable this.  Having said that, I'd guess that some B/C players will probably now come forward to swear by the thumb grip.

I've found that I can play my PW well enough standing (with 2 shoulder straps and backstrap) for straightforward dance tunes, but faster or more complicated numbers are a lot less hair-raising if I'm sitting down.   Heavier boxes are more stable when played standing - they still move, but not as jerkily, because of their greater inertia - but spending three hours with the weight of a Nuage hung round my neck isn't my idea of fun.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2019, 12:16:55 AM »

I don't want to labour the point, but my favourite players are perfectly capable of playing standing (some with one strap, some with two) or sitting.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2019, 12:29:44 AM »

The good news is that not only do you eventually work out what strap arrangement works best for you, you also become more flexible in being able to play using other strap configurations when the need arises.

When the need arises...like anytime someone lets you get your sticky paws on their own beloved box.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2019, 08:12:21 AM »

You could, of course, use on of these and not need any straps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tai8QmSzho0

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »

Lovely bride and nice playing! Despite the stand, I see she is still using a thumb strap and a shoulder strap. Maybe the latter is to stop her falling over if she were to get too carried away with the excitement of the day. (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:19 AM »

Ha Ha. I was watching this only the other day. nice maggiore/minore strumenti.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal