Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping insurance  (Read 3244 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Shipping insurance
« on: May 15, 2019, 06:57:26 PM »

I think this may have been discussed previously, but I can't find it, so here goes...

I've agreed to buy a melodeon (what another one!) from somebody in the United States. However, delivery to the UK is proving difficult because the shippers won't insure it for its full value. Priority Mail International will only insure up to $200 and Priority Mail Express to a maximum of $650, whereas the purchase price is $820. UPS charge a whopping $300+ for shipping, so we haven't even asked them about insurance. The seller is currently approaching FedEx, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I know some of you have bought boxes from the USA and had them shipped to England, so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced shipper who will insure the melodeon for its full value of $820?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Shipping insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:12:17 PM »

Plenty of experience shipping too US but none the other way.  I think it’s more important to choose a reliable courier and to pack well than it is to buy insurance.  That is a personal decision and I don’t expect others to agree.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 11:17:48 PM »

Plenty of experience shipping too US but none the other way.  I think it’s more important to choose a reliable courier and to pack well than it is to buy insurance.  That is a personal decision and I don’t expect others to agree.

I agree .........
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 01:12:51 PM »

I did not use to agree, but have changed.  Paying $30 in shipping and $70 in insurance will do it.

I do not know anyone who has either 1) filed a claim or 2) successfully had a claim paid for anywhere approaching the cost of the insurance itself.  Never have heard of a box totally lost/disappearing.  (could be I just have not heard....)

So I have fallen/changed to the Theo/Rees school of pack it really well, ship registered/trackable with the best available carrier.

One caveat about shipping in/out of the States: customs, especially at NY can be a black hole and scary.  Carriers that use a customs broker are expensive but avoid this to some extent (UPS/FDX).  Post Office/RoyalMail is near guaranteed to sit in the purgatory, but always seems to pop out sooner or later. 

Another is avoid shipping between late November and early January, if possible.

Some folks have told me to be wary of rare woods/banned materials.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 01:56:36 PM »

US Customs seems to work on a random check basis, at least inbound. I've had many things shipped from the UK (books, CDs, old coins, bicycle parts, and one melodeon) and I have never had anything held up in customs or had to pay a duty fee. I don't know whether outgoing it is stricter.

I'm sure endangered woods or ivory buttons on concertinas could be a problem, but to my knowledge I've never even had a box opened, so you would have to be unlucky in that regard first. Still, if you know that might be an issue it's probably best to get some kind of letter of exemption ahead of time.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 02:04:26 PM »

I’m posting a smaller item though the us postal system, it went out on Tuesday we’ll see how long it takes....  16oz @ $20 overseas rate.
So if the package is close to 15lb, $300 sound right.
I’m pretty sure the us postal will insure to full value if others don’t.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »

I think this may have been discussed previously, but I can't find it, so here goes...

I've agreed to buy a melodeon (what another one!) from somebody in the United States. However, delivery to the UK is proving difficult because the shippers won't insure it for its full value. Priority Mail International will only insure up to $200 and Priority Mail Express to a maximum of $650, whereas the purchase price is $820. UPS charge a whopping $300+ for shipping, so we haven't even asked them about insurance. The seller is currently approaching FedEx, but I haven't heard back from him yet.

I know some of you have bought boxes from the USA and had them shipped to England, so can anyone recommend a reasonably priced shipper who will insure the melodeon for its full value of $820?

Pull the pins, separate the halves and pack in two shipments each insured for $650 or whatever.
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2019, 03:12:22 PM »

You could do that, but if one half makes it and the other doesn't (lost or damaged) you'd end up with half a melodeon ( useless) and $410 dollars ???
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

invadm

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 03:45:53 PM »

I have sent a few boxes to Canada via parcel force(UK) they've all gone safely,some fully insured some weren't, have not sent anything to US but did buy a single row from US,arrived safely no problems but there is a duty/tax that I had to pay first, FedEx deals with all this them self,I think %18 of the total invoice value to be paid on arrival.
some company's don't cover/insure musical instruments some do, FedEx did on mine, they are fast and reasonable company,be aware if something goes wrong it takes a long time to sort out and mostly online forms to fill in and no one to talk to  :-\
i have been chasing a sent parcel; sat at the airport over 3 weeks for custom clearance  :P no one to talk to and no one to help,I will came back to me eventually but failed to reach to addressee.           

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 05:19:44 PM »

Like many things in life; pedestrian controlled traffic lights.........don't use 'em! Foods with allergic reaction causing ingredients.........don't eat 'em! Fragile packages.........don't trust anyone else to look after 'em! Unrealistic insurance costs and/or stipulations.........don't pay 'em!

I've been an enthusiastic eBayer for about 6 years, sending stuff all over the world with the (almost) cheapest courier I can find. I've ever only had one article damaged in transit. I thought it was well enough packed, but it was a very heavy meter and only a small size, it did suffer catastrophically at the hands of some utterly idiotic handling during its journey to Australia. Everything else, including accordions big and small, large brass marching drums and fragile decorative items or furniture, have always arrived safely.
As Theo and others have suggested, pack it to your personal satisfaction, to withstand any reasonable calamity. Take responsibility for it yourself.
I know this doesn't apply in the OP's case, but I think it's always worth repeating.

At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

mselic

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:42 PM »

I was always pack accordions in a cardboard box, with plenty of foam/bubble wrap/newspaper, and then pack that box in another box and do the same. I’ve never had any trouble, and people have always remarked how well-packed the boxes are for shipping. As others have mentioned, doing everything you possibly can to minimize any potential damage is the best practice.

Regarding the shipping costs, I’ve always taken a bit of a gamble and insured for partial value of the box, rather than in full, as the cost to insure tends to climb quite high quickly. It also bothers me that the courier requires me to pay extra to ensure that they don’t mess up...Ideally, they should be responsible for what happens in transit! Anyhow, back to reality ...

I’m in Canada, but when buying from across the pond I always assume it will be at least $100 in shipping, and I think that’s on the low end.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:35:27 PM by mselic »
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 08:35:23 PM »

I dont usually insure as they take your money but are unlikely to pay.I did get a pay out on a PS once but ended up down £100. I would recomend the more expensive fedex if coming from the USA for good piece of mind, pricey insurance if you take it but they bill you the customs charges seperately so you dont have the dreaded wait in the UK customs black hole, with dreaded parcelfore at the end.It was nearly next day with FedEx when I was  shipped an expensive mandolin, and its them all the way. Dont go near UK Mail. but even then you might have the last leg from customs assigned to them.I once had a concertina sent it was labeled antique concertina so had to pay a higher tax band than a concertina, live and learn, I have lost three boxes in total ,one to me was the sellers  problem ,the other two did turn up several weeks later, one from a different courier as it was sent back to the wrong one (Amazon wharehouse mix up nightmare) . Parcelfore also lost me a guitar that I had to find at a birmingham sorting office by my own efforts, as they just said not us its the Post Office (Agent different firm even though the only one you can give too!!!) The most frustrating thing is the total lack of customer care as soon as they loose something(.Or have it in customs). I once had the uk customs read a 1 as a 7 so had to stump up a very large Vat bill as its the only way they release it.Was claimed back latter with the correct invoice no problem but make sure everything is legible.  Having said that every other post many ,many times no problem.And all the above had sort of happy endings but the couriers wont do any legwork if there is an issue they dont care really!

Sorry you did ask.But melodeons are very hard to break. Its like crossing the road its not a problem.Easy: Until?
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:37 PM »

Perhaps this is an opportunity for some enterprising gad-about to start a melodeon courier service.
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 09:29:56 PM »

It seems to me that paying extra for faster delivery (two day or even overnight) is probably a better deal than buying insurance. I suspect couriers take better care of their "higher end" customers and just fundamentally the less time the box spends in transit the less opportunity there is for something bad to happen to it.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 11:11:51 PM »

It also bothers me that the courier requires me to pay extra to ensure that they don’t mess up...Ideally, they should be responsible for what happens in transit! Anyhow, back to reality ...

I was going to say the same, it should be part oof the cost.
You give your car to a shop to be repaired and they are responsible for it when its there.
I work on people houses and I’m responsible for the house when its being worked on.
Its the same thing (a service) and you have insurance for loss as a business.

Yes , Mr and Mrs. Smith the cost of the addition on your home is .... and the cost for me to not destroy anything is ...

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »

Perhaps this is an opportunity for some enterprising gad-about to start a melodeon courier service.

It is funny you should say that...Some American musicians who are good friends of mine came round for dinner this evening. Their verdict was: don't trust any of them and don't pay their ridiculously high charges for shipping and insurance. They are coming back to the UK in July, so they insisted that I get it posted to them ($45 incl. insurance) and they will bring it to the UK in their luggage. Job's a good 'un!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2019, 01:17:21 AM »

It is funny you should say that...Some American musicians who are good friends of mine came round for dinner this evening. Their verdict was: don't trust any of them and don't pay their ridiculously high charges for shipping and insurance. They are coming back to the UK in July, so they insisted that I get it posted to them ($45 incl. insurance) and they will bring it to the UK in their luggage. Job's a good 'un!

The question now is:

How many melodeons/concertinas constitute a security threat?
...Thelonius Monk

...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »

How many melodeons/concertinas constitute a security threat?

It depends whose playing them! >:E

tiny

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 03:06:45 PM »

I have a buyer for the Salterelle. They live in US. I have no experience in shipping but have decided to use UPS.

I have filled in the forms as far as possible.

Insurance...is required by the buyer and I can't see anywhere to apply this, can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Customs...I have said what is being shipped is that enough?

Any advice gratefully received.

Lizzy

lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 03:57:00 PM »

If you book UPS through the interparcel.com website you will be offered insurance when you enter the item value.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal