Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My Pokerwork has a few screws loose  (Read 1872 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
My Pokerwork has a few screws loose
« on: May 15, 2019, 10:23:41 PM »

The screws holding the bass side panel on are getting a bit precarious. I was practicing standing up today and found two screws and their washers on the carpet afterwards. What's the standard advice on this? Toothpicks and wood glue?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: My Pokerwork has a few screws loose
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

That would work, but pre drill for the new screws, those wee corner blocks tend to be a bit fragile, and could split.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »

Pre-drilling plugged holes is good advice, but also I find that toothpicks tend to be a bit hard for plugging holes. I prefer to use a soft wood such as matchsticks - sometimes you only need a couple of thin wood slivers.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Peadar

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 10:59:21 PM »

Both bits of advice are good. you could probably get away with just chewing the end of a matchstick and feeding the splinters into the hole. The only problem with that is they tend to fall out when you remove the screw.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 05:25:40 AM »

Pre-drilling plugged holes is good advice, but also I find that toothpicks tend to be a bit hard for plugging holes. I prefer to use a soft wood such as matchsticks - sometimes you only need a couple of thin wood slivers.

Seconded.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 07:45:58 AM »

Both bits of advice are good. you could probably get away with just chewing the end of a matchstick and feeding the splinters into the hole. The only problem with that is they tend to fall out when you remove the screw.

Cut (or chew!) a matchstick or a couple of match slivers.
Add a drop of superglue to the hole.
Feed the matchstick or slivers into the hole
When the glue has set, cut off any projecting ends of matchstick flush with the surrounding surface.
Drill a short pilot hole in the new plug. It doesn't need to be very deep - no more than half the screw length, or less. For tiny screws, use a bradawl or spike instead.
Fix the new screw in place.
BYU.   
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »

Futher to my last post, I am a big fan of using superglue in hole-plugging situations.
A good method is to sprinkle some wood dust into the hole - perhaps a third to half full. Add a drop of superglue and once again BYU. As soon as the glue has set you can screw into the newly plugged hole.

Sometimes you don't even need the wood dust. For very tiny screws a drop of superglue in the hole narrows it sufficiently for the screw to hold snuggly. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 07:45:45 PM »

Well, now I've gone and done it. Played outside for the first time (for a maypole ceremony at my sons' school) and one of the screws and its washer are now lost in the grass somewhere.

What's my best source for replacements?
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 12:11:10 AM »

That’s to bad! I take it you didn’t get around to chewing on a match stick and mixing it with glue . :P
I just sliver off the piece needed (you don’t have to fill the hole unless it’s important to keep the hole exactly center or fill around the edge with pieces) glue and screw.

I’d get my roofer friend ( I ‘d get me) to come by with the magnetic broom use to pick up nails, it wil find that screw if the grass isn’t to deep. They find just about anything.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:50:08 AM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 02:13:03 AM »

I’d get my roofer friend ( I ‘d get me) to come by with the magnetic broom use to pick up nails, it wil find that screw if the grass isn’t to deep. They find just about anything.

This idea definitely came to mind. I'm pretty sure I know the general area that I must have lost it in. We have a "tool library" near us that I think has a big magnet on a stick I could borrow. Maybe I'll go back tomorrow and give it a shot.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 12:40:29 PM »

From my short career in playing melodeon - never play with a button or a screw loose - my D/G Erica has an extra 'ding' from a screw which came loose in the case, and when I got around to sorting the problem it was a few minutes work.
I used toothpicks and some tiny drills to remake the holes once the glue dried.
I have seen a couple of instruments with missing or broken buttons which were known to be loose, but taken out anyway.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Peadar

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »

The loose screw is something like the canary in the coal mine. When you notice it's loose it's a warning.

Somewhere not far from me, there lies a bellows pin.....
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2019, 04:19:29 PM »

There were never any canaries loose in the coal mines I worked in  ::)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »

Hey, it turns out I got lucky and lost them at home rather than in the grass! Found the washer in the trash can with the vacuuming and the screw on a ledge where someone must have picked it up but forgotten about it.

I'll be chewing some matchsticks ASAP!

george garside

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 06:51:02 PM »

I have started to use gorilla glue  for hole filling in woodwork ( havn;t  tried it on boxes so take this for what its worth.  It is an expanding glue   and a very emall amount is needed to fill the size of hole on a box. I apply a tiny bit using a matchstick  , leave for 24 hours  and cut of any surplus that comes out of the hole as it expands.  the hole can be then drilled to the reaquired size.  Alternatively the screw can be lightly coated with wax and then inserted into the hole along with the gorilla glue which then expands to grip the screw very tightly (24 hours)  any surplus that comes out during the expansion process can easily be trimmed off with a sharp knife

Try it on a bit of scrap wood first!

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 08:55:03 PM »

I have started to use gorilla glue  for hole filling in woodwork. 

It is an expanding glue.

george

Gorilla
Polyurethane glue

It’s also water activated, so either some moisture should be present in the wood or you wet one surface lightly.

Personally I think gorilla glue is more than what’s needed, regular wood glue works and you can clean up and get on with it quicker,  30 minutes and you could screw it back in. If you can wait longer all the better.

Great that you found them! definitely easier than finding a replacement  ;)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 12:10:19 AM »

As advocated earlier in the thread: use superglue (cyano-acrylate) to secure your hole filler material. It does the job perfectly and will be ready for drilling/screwing in a couple of minutes, especially if you breathe gently on it for a few seconds after applying (superglue also requires a trace of moisture to set).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 02:43:10 PM »

Having spent a few happy hours hotrodding my Hohner over the weekend (thanks Lester!) I test drove the box and spotted a bass end securing screw on the kitchen floor. Luckily, I hadn't thrown out all the off cut slivers of leather at that point. One of those in the screw hole and the screw tightened up a treat.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »

Having seen the references to Gorilla glue I'll just mention that Aldi currently have Gorilla WOOD Glue in stock. No idea what it's like...just for info...
(Other bargain supermarkets, wood glues and probably gorillas are available :|glug)
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »

A word of caution,  Gorilla make several different glues eg polyurethane, epoxy, cyanoacrylate, contact, wood glue.  Polyurethane glue was what they started with but it’s best if mentioning a glue brand to also say what type of glue.  Titebond is another maker that can no longer be assumed to by synonymous with the aliphatic resin wood glue that they started with.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal