Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: The VMP Roose MS Project  (Read 24405 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: The VMP Roose MS Project
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »

Are these squiggles below the stave trills?
The first one I read as a '3' for a triplet, but then changed my mind after encountering the second.
I presume a trill?
Q
I think they are 'prall' trill* symbols. Basically the same as a mordent (a single shake to the note above and then back to the main note) but the downward squiggle at the end is probably indicating that it is an inverted mordent, so a single shake to the note below and then back to the main note.
In ABC the coding is !lowermordent!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordent

*Pralltriller - German for 'bounce trill'
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »

Thanks Steve, I will notate as you suggest.
Many thanks
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, it always does for me. I've been skipping along transcribing crystal clear 16 and 24 bar tunes and my worst problem has been working out a few titles written in the spidery script reserved for doctors writing presciptions. Then, out of the blue, musical hell breaks loose. I go from three or four tunes per page to a single piece that fills two pages. After the first few bars it resorts to 16 semiquavers to the bar, after another 20 bars of that it switches to flute music  based around e' on the third leger line above the staff, ad infintum.

Bah! Poo! Humbug! and lots of similar noises, I'm not a fan of these marathon transcriptions of stuff nobody is ever going to play! I had one a while back that even ChrisP baulked at checking and just decided to accept the transciption as it was about four times longer than the piece I'm moaning about here.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2019, 11:06:56 PM »

I suppose it had to happen sooner or later, it always does for me. I've been skipping along transcribing crystal clear 16 and 24 bar tunes and my worst problem has been working out a few titles written in the spidery script reserved for doctors writing presciptions. Then, out of the blue, musical hell breaks loose. I go from three or four tunes per page to a single piece that fills two pages. After the first few bars it resorts to 16 semiquavers to the bar, after another 20 bars of that it switches to flute music  based around e' on the third leger line above the staff, ad infintum.

Bah! Poo! Humbug! and lots of similar noises, I'm not a fan of these marathon transcriptions of stuff nobody is ever going to play! I had one a while back that even ChrisP baulked at checking and just decided to accept the transciption as it was about four times longer than the piece I'm moaning about here.  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

You want to swop it for a bunch of quadrilles?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »

Can you export abc from Sibelius files? I am happy to type this long one up into Sibelius. Just let me know.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2019, 11:20:30 PM »

I don't have Sibelius and I am limited to abc only. This isn't usually a problem, to be honest it's not a problem now, just a PITA.

My wife has/uses Sibelius constantly. Our bickering on the subject is a cause of constant amusement.  ;D
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2019, 11:23:19 PM »

You want to swop it for a bunch of quadrilles?

Erm no ta, B*gger off!
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2019, 11:31:23 PM »

I am finding this manuscript easier to work on (apart from many of the titles) than Buttrey, though less challenging seems to mean less interesting. However, it would still be nice to view it in its entirety at some point. Is this on the agenda?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2019, 11:52:56 PM »

I've no idea Greg. We are at the mercy of the new owner of the manuscript who seems to be massively ammenable to making the whole thing public and is content to simply own the original. I can't fault that!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 08:47:23 AM by Pete Dunk »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2019, 05:40:52 AM »

I go from three or four tunes per page to a single piece that fills two pages. After the first few bars it resorts to 16 semiquavers to the bar, after another 20 bars of that it switches to flute music  based around e' on the third leger line above the staff, ad infintum.

I've found similar examples of virtuoso passages written in a couple of MSS by early C19th rural fiddlers in Ireland and was astonished by their apparent technical expertise when playing in higher positions and the fiendishly quick runs of notes in some parts.  Spoils the stereotype of the "hack village fiddler" I've read about in writings by some contemporary observers from those times.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2019, 10:39:04 AM »

Sibelius - ABC.  I've not manged to find a way to transfer properly. Saving a midi file brings it over but not cleanly for a simply line tune. I haven't tried multiple voices.

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »

I am finding this manuscript easier to work on (apart from many of the titles) than Buttrey, though less challenging seems to mean less interesting. However, it would still be nice to view it in its entirety at some point. Is this on the agenda?
Do you mean as images of the original? What the owner does with the images is up to him, and I'll have a chat when we're done, but for my part I should point out that these compressed b/w PDFs altogether come to 240Mb, compared with the total capacity of my website, which hosts ALL the other VMP stuff, of 250Mb.
PDFs of the transcriptions, and of the total progress so far, are on my website.
The transcribing is proceeding apace, with fewer than 200 tunes still to allocate. I have a backlog of checking to do....

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2019, 10:50:45 AM »

Do you mean as images of the original? What the owner does with the images is up to him, and I'll have a chat when we're done, but for my part I should point out that these compressed b/w PDFs altogether come to 240Mb, compared with the total capacity of my website, which hosts ALL the other VMP stuff, of 250Mb.
PDFs of the transcriptions, and of the total progress so far, are on my website.
The transcribing is proceeding apace, with fewer than 200 tunes still to allocate. I have a backlog of checking to do....

I meant ABC/PDF transcriptions, this time, thanks, Chris.
Greg Smith

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:35 AM »

Please see the attached image of Roose 559.

Are the twiddles above and below the triplets in bars 4 & 12 the prall trills referred to a few posts back?
I can't quite decide...

Ta.

Roger
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2019, 11:29:01 AM »

Please see the attached image of Roose 559.

Are the twiddles above and below the triplets in bars 4 & 12 the prall trills referred to a few posts back?
I can't quite decide...

Ta.

Roger

The notation below bar 4 looks like "Pia" which I believe is Piano (quiet) There looks to be a For (Forte, loud) a few bars later. The mark under bar 12 looks like a triplet. [unless you mean the 3's]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 11:31:43 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Roger Hare

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »

The notation below bar 4 looks like "Pia" which I believe is Piano (quiet) There looks to be a For (Forte, loud) a few bars later. The mark under bar 12 looks like a triplet.
Yup. I was OK with the Pia and For, but I did wonderalso  about those twiddles being to
denote a triplet, though neither of them look (much) like a 3. I will proceed on that basis.

Ta.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2019, 12:14:50 PM »

if they are not triplets you have too many beats in the bar.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2019, 05:18:28 PM »

...neither of them look (much) like a 3. I will proceed on that basis.

Ta.

I saw very similar marks in the Buttery MS (when he bothered to put any in). I think that was just the way they liked to figure them, then.
Greg Smith

Roger Hare

« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2019, 06:04:37 PM »

if they are not triplets you have too many beats in the bar.
Absolutely! First, I tried assuming they were not triplets, and making the preceding crotchet
into a quaver just to see (hear) what happened. I wasn't impressed - at least not favourably...

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2019, 06:54:20 PM »

I am actually hosting the "official" VMP site at https://www.village-music-project.org.uk.
It's taking up about 750MB now. If It goes over 1GB, it will cost John Adams another £10 year.
I can arrange for large-volume data to be on cheaper storage though, with slightly slower access. I haven't worked out a customer price for it yet, because nobody's used it yet...

For now I'd be quite happy to host scans of the originals on that basis pro bono, if there's a demand for it. There's about 65GB of free space on that volume, not being used at the moment.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal