Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unidentified Hohner - AD - Does anyone have a clue as to likely age/model?  (Read 1061 times)

Peadar

Bought recently along with a project box and a pile of Hohner varia. Arrived from the Netherlands. Key A/D. Age unknown but originally fitted with Bronze H reeds (now a mixture of bronze and steel).

My first 2 row button box.

Any information about model number /likely manufacture date gratefully received.

The following may suggest not before/not after dates to different people: The Lettering, Anchor mark, Finish (faux hard wood colouring..but not quite sure what it was meant to represent) and push air button (rather than the Hohner handbrake) may be indicative. Bass buttons are mother of pearl on wooden stems. Treble buttons are I think composition/imitation bone fixed with brass centre screws. The feet are not original and the melody grille does not appear to be either. The bass panel shows signs of originally being fitted with (prewar type?) feet that incorporated rotary side hooks.

And the wooden keyboard with rectangular metal cover plate

Any answers?

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:55:19 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Peadar

Any advance on post 1904?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Treble buttons appear to have central screws, so wooden action. The metal action which replaced it was introduced around 1929/30. I suspect the two types were in production together for a short time, so yours is most likely pre 1930, or possibly early 30s.  If it has its original steel reeds they will be lovely and well worth keeping.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Peadar

Thanks Theo - Most of the reeds appear original and sound sweet- but they are brass. There's a small plate on top of the treble casing "Voces de Bronze"- There are a few replacements in steel ( F# seems to have had a bad time in the lower octave of the treble- both of the D row F#/G and one of the A row E/F# plates have been replaced).

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place

Brass reeds would suggest an earlier date, perhaps 1920s
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal