Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shipping insurance  (Read 3243 times)

Larry Powers

• Good talker
  • Bouchard 10+4 in D, Lilly D/C#
Re: Shipping insurance
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »

I have considered buying a melodeon that is for sale from the UK and I have done some research on shipping.  When declaring the item do not use the word melodeon.  In the USA the word melodeon commonly refers to a piano like instrument and has a very high duty on it.  I have seen it recommended to declare the item simply as a used accordion.  It seems in the USA that there is no duty on piano accordions but there is on button accordions.  Used accordion is not incorrect just not completely specific.  The instrument will often go through without a duty charge.  Again this is based on research I have done.  Others here may have more practical information.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:32:24 PM by Larry Powers »

invadm

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2019, 04:31:32 PM »

I haven't used UPS directly but full cover for loss and damage comes up as an extra option,once total value entered on the other parcel websites.

invadm

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2019, 04:36:49 PM »

I have seen it recommended to declare the item simply as a used accordion.  It seems in the USA that there is no duty on piano accordions but there is on button accordions.  Used accordion is not incorrect just not completely specific.  The instrument will often go through without a duty charge.  Again this is based on research I have done.  Others here may have more practical information.
when ever I send a box out side of the UK I write ''used /2nd hand small children accordion'' works most of the time  ;) never understood why pay custom-duty tax on used items anyways    :||:

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2019, 05:05:43 PM »

I also describe as “used accordion” because the word accordion is well understood. 

I also include the Harmonised Tariff Code, which for concertinas and accordions is:

This is an internationally recognised code and covers accordions of all types (piano, button, diatonic) and concertinas as well.

My experience is that it’s a matter of chance if the US customs charges import duty.  If they do the rate is very low, about 3% I think.

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »

Very many thanks for the invaluable advice. I really do appreciate the help .

I saw the Harmonised Tariff Code on the form but did not understand.... Another thank you Theo..

I'll let you  all know how I get on.

Lizzy

lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2019, 11:20:10 PM »

I’m posting a smaller item though the us postal system, it went out on Tuesday we’ll see how long it takes....  16oz @ $20 overseas rate.
So if the package is close to 15lb, $300 sound right.
I’m pretty sure the us postal will insure to full value if others don’t.
Package arrived in 6 days , no insurance, standard post.
I was told by the postmaster that it would take 3 days, always double it, like when a carpenter tells you it will take 2 months to do the job, in reality its 4 plus. 8)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

tiny

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 12:24:28 PM »

I'm pleased to report back that after 24 scans and 10 days the melodeon was delivered to its new home in the USA.

It got a bit stuck in Philadelphia due to customs but UPS were really helpful and reassuring and eventually it popped out.

(:)

Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal