Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020  (Read 12888 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:32:52 AM »

No sooner have we finished a very successful Melodeons in Wensleydale 2019 than we are planning for 2020! The dates are fixed (24-26 April 2020) and the line-up of tutors has been finalised. We have John Kirkpatrick, Hazel Askew, Steve Dumpleton and Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne, all of whom are virtuoso players and very good tutors, so we are looking forward eagerly to next year. Good weather has also been booked, although it cannot be guaranteed - what are the odds on glorious weather for three Melodeons in Wensleydale weekends in a row?

As usual, bookings won't open until 1 November, but people might like to start booking their accommodation earlier. We have reserved all the rooms in the Fountain Hotel, so please mention if you book there that you are booking for Melodeons in Wensleydale. We need to take all the rooms there to ensure that the evening sessions can take place without disturbing other guests. If you are staying on for Sunday night as well, the hotel will book you into the rooms directly above the session room so that we can have a Sunday night session, as we did this year.

Please spread the word and we look forward to seeing many of you in Hawes in 2020.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:43:34 AM »

Good heavens, that's a stunning line up of tutors.
Congratulations Bob and team...…
Might have to dust off my passport  ::)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 11:59:04 AM »

Sounds like another trip to Wensleydale is obligatory for me ! Excellent tutors...

J

Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 02:21:49 PM »

Yes, hoping to come back. Just got a resurgence of my mystery throat reaction, too much playing probably. But I'll hope to put that to rest, and as I so much enjoyed this year's one I wouldn't want to miss it next year.
Can't wait to see the intended workshops. Doesn't sound like there'll be a GC one from the line up.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 09:32:14 AM »

Doesn't sound like there'll be a GC one from the line up.

With the weather already booked (thanks Bob!), we can have an unofficial G/C session outside at the end of Saturday afternoon without even imposing on one of the "spaces" ;-)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 11:28:46 AM »

Yay - booked Hotel already. Must remember to pack the sun tan cream as the heatwave has been organised   >:E

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 11:40:48 AM »

This sounds like a truly wonderful weekend, and the line-up of tutors must surely be unsurpassed!
Please Bob, could you tell me (as my feeble brain cannot recall what happened this year) will attending the Saturday evening Tutor's Concert be restricted to paying participants in MIW?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »

Another great bunch of Tutors. We booked our flat before we left Hawes! Get in there.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 01:23:13 PM »

Right..... presume this is the pub recommended in Bob's first post?
http://www.fountainhawes.co.uk/

Also, please can someone give me a rough timescale of the event...….
i.e. start Friday, a 'meet' or session? ….end sunday evening?
etc. etc.
Just so I have a rough plan of it all.
ta
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 01:34:39 PM »

please can someone give me a rough timescale of the event...….
Friday afternoon-informal session in pub
Friday evening - informal session in venue followed by informal session in pub
Saturday day - workshops
Saturday evening - Tutor Concert followed by informal session in pub
Sunday day - workshops
Sunday evening - informal session in pub
In spare time, have a play on boxes from Acorn, Wesson, Gibb stores and buy one!
We arrived on Thursday to soak up the atmosphere of this lovely village. We left on Monday - knackered.     

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 01:38:13 PM »

Great, thanks Nigel.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 02:13:13 PM »

This sounds like a truly wonderful weekend, and the line-up of tutors must surely be unsurpassed!
Please Bob, could you tell me (as my feeble brain cannot recall what happened this year) will attending the Saturday evening Tutor's Concert be restricted to paying participants in MIW?

Concert is part of the weekend fee - you can purchase extra tickets for partners etc.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 02:14:19 PM »

Right..... presume this is the pub recommended in Bob's first post?
http://www.fountainhawes.co.uk/

yes.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 02:16:17 PM »

thanks Brian.....
Thrupenny Bit

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2019, 11:40:59 PM »

It would be lovely to be able to open up the Saturday evening concert to a wider audience, but the concert hall only holds around 100 people and is filled to capacity with course members and their partners plus a few members of the museum staff and the local community who contribute to the event. There just isn't room for anybody else. Sorry!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2019, 11:47:40 PM »

Can't wait to see the intended workshops. Doesn't sound like there'll be a GC one from the line up.

Although the workshop topics have not yet been agreed, it is unlikely, as you surmised, that there will be a G/C workshop on offer from any of the main tutors. However, it is quite likely that one of the mini-workshops (80-minute sessions late on Saturday afternoon with different tutors) will cater for G/C aficionados. We did this in 2018 and it seemed to be well received. Watch this space or sign up to the mailing list on our website to be kept informed of further details.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2019, 10:28:55 PM »

Thanks to the courage gained at Wensleydale I found myself playing in public last night. I was accompanying students for the early evening (on piano) but they needed a break (we were supporting an art opening). It was quite noisy, so I sat down and played about a dozen tunes, even having to talk to guests while playing - couldn't they see I was concentrating? Of course I had music there, and most things were in A minor, but still. Thanks Wensleydale (and Pascale especially).
Looking forward to playing with Heartshaped next week. Still hankering after that Castagnari 1914 that I tried from Pete of Acorn of course. But I'd have to sell everything else first.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »

Hi
Calling all lady melodeon players.  I have provisionally booked the last remaining room at Fountain Hotel for 2020.  It is a twin bed room, and I would like to ask if another lady player would like to share with me,  to go halves with.   :|||:  They will hold the room until they get the next booking, so if anyone is interested please get in touch or message me
Lin

This is now sorted  :|||:  The room is booked  :|||:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 07:03:24 PM by Lin Erica »
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2019, 09:43:41 AM »

Although the workshop topics have not yet been agreed, it is unlikely, as you surmised, that there will be a G/C workshop on offer from any of the main tutors. However, it is quite likely that one of the mini-workshops (80-minute sessions late on Saturday afternoon with different tutors) will cater for G/C aficionados. We did this in 2018 and it seemed to be well received. Watch this space or sign up to the mailing list on our website to be kept informed of further details.

Just took a look and lo! there are workshop details up on the website

And Bob has done it again: I want to go to all of them!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:26 AM »

ooooh some juicy workshops there!
I've never been before, so am not sure of the etiquette.
Do I sign up somewhere now or make choices on arrival?
Q
looking forward to this!
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal