Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020  (Read 12892 times)

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2019, 07:37:02 PM »

yes, thanks for the update
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »

It's just over seven weeks to Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020. There are a small number of places still available, so don't delay if you would like to spend a weekend learning from John Kirkpatrick, Cohen Braithwaite-Kilcoyne, Hazel Askew, and Steve Dumpleton.

A twin room has also become available at the Fountain Hotel. It would be good if somebody on the course could take it because that would eliminate the risk of anybody upstairs complaining about the noise during the late evening sessions. Please let me know if you are interested in the room.

Sheet music and audio files have now been received from all the tutors and will be posted on our website (password protected) during the next few days.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »

Thanks Bob - looking forward to it
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Daz Barry

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »

Hiya Bob looking forward to the weekend it sounds day Daz😎

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »

Covid-19:  I know, I know, cheerful bastard etc. etc.  But I’m just wondering what thoughts have been entertained among the Hawes musical powers that be on the subject.  It seems that the current expectation among experts in epidemiolology is that case numbers will double each 5 days.  Putting my spreadsheet to use, and taking 275 cases today (9/Mar) by the time Wensleydale Melodeons start (24/Apr) we’ll be enjoying a national case total of around 150,000. 🤔😕🤯

A retreat to Hawes, provided that the weather controls have been set to the positions used at the preceding occasions, looks increasingly attractive.  There is, however, a possibility that controls on movement may have been instituted by then.  It is, arguably, a bit soon to start action <LanceCorporalJones> DON’T PANIC! DON’T PANIC!! </LanceCorporalJones> but given today’s COBRA meeting (somehow the image of venomous reptiles in Downing Street seems attractive) and the restrictions in force in Lombardy and Veneto, perhaps thought should be given to a rescheduling in the Autumn when the dust (inshAllah) has settled.

I shall probably come, but I fear there may be strong advisory recommendations from government for close social gatherings to be cancelled by then.  I do hope not. 
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2020, 12:31:29 PM »

A friend who is quite senior in the UK Border Force has dropped a hint that there will be a government announcement about corona virus sometime this week beginning 9th March. Possibly Wednesday?
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »

Chris, you are just being sensible and asking a question.

I am part of a group organising a major Morris birthday in early July. At practice last week I asked a similar question from an organising viewpoint. I want to know how much we are liable for if we are obliged to cancel. With hall, coaches, pub lunches and celebration meal booked for ~ 350 people there is a massive outlay..... and I don't want to bankrupt our Morris side.
We are in totally uncharted waters, any organisers of anything at present are feeling nervous.
I am.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2020, 01:22:19 PM »

Deep joy!  A nexpert on the radio just now said the doubling time is four days now.  This puts the score at just over a million by the time we’re off to Hawes.  😳😩
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 09:47:16 AM »

All of the thoughts raised in recent posts to this thread about coronavirus are constantly in the minds of the organisers and we are monitoring the situation closely. On the one hand, we don't want to over-react, while on the other hand we want to act responsibly. If we have to cancel, then it will have financial implications for me personally, but I will not let that influence the decision, which will be made solely in the interests of protecting those people booked on the course and the residents of Hawes. I think it is too soon to make a decision yet, but the situation will be kept under constant review. The opinions of people posting here will also be given careful consideration.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 10:11:49 AM »

Thank you Bob for keeping us updated and for a very sensible approach.
Best wishes.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 12:03:05 PM »

I've just sent out the email with the details for downloading the tunes for the workshops.

If anyone who has booked does not get the email, then please post here or email us direct.

Remember to look in your junkmail folder!

Cheers Brian
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2020, 04:12:35 PM »

Looks like I have lots of prep. to do. In a hazmat suit if needs be ::)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2020, 04:22:00 PM »

I do hope this goes ahead. It's a weekend I'd like to go to, but I'm not a good enough player, and a by-ear player only, so it's not going to happen for me.
Regarding the Corona scare, I am staying home, and haven't booked anything before Whitby, with no intentions of going to any of my usual weekends before then.
I don't mind admitting that as a 77 year old chap on several meds. it scares the shit out of me ;)

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2020, 05:30:04 PM »

agree with everything Thrupenny Bit said - thanks for the sensible approach.  Now, where do I get one of those hazmats Tufty???????

I am working hard going through the tunes for my choices, but my husband is one of those high risk oldies with underlying health issues, so will have to monitor the situation very carefully as I don't want to bring anything back to him.  Already decided the best thing to do is to avoid as many situations as possible before Wensleydale so not going  to a session at the weekend  :-[,
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »

...It's a weekend I'd like to go to, but I'm not a good enough player, and a by-ear player only, so it's not going to happen for me.
All other issues aside, I've heard and watched you play a good few times in sessions at Whitby and elsewhere. You are most definitely a good enough player to attend MIW. Nothing wrong with being a 'by-ear player only'. You would not be the only one.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2020, 06:17:53 PM »

...It's a weekend I'd like to go to, but I'm not a good enough player, and a by-ear player only, so it's not going to happen for me.
All other issues aside, I've heard and watched you play a good few times in sessions at Whitby and elsewhere. You are most definitely a good enough player to attend MIW. Nothing wrong with being a 'by-ear player only'. You would not be the only one.
I don't know your playing, but in a group I went to last year I guarantee that we, to a man (including those who weren't), thought that we were potentially going to be found out at any moment. None of us was. I know I had a frightful 30 minutes because I'd been asked to play something in a show-and-tell, and I still wish I'd said 'no' - but that aside it was the best thing I've done for years. Great people, great venue, great players, great modesty from those, great courage from those less experienced. This year will be all DG, so I've not got a bit of light relief, but still looking forward to it. If anxiety about being good enough is the only thing keeping you away, then I'll see you there.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:44 PM »

Could not agree more, you are well up to it but as a ear player I have learned to pick my workshops with care. By the by I am stunned that you are 77, have you a portrait in the attic

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 09:24:45 AM »

"Could not agree more, you are well up to it but as a ear player I have learned to pick my workshops with care. By the by I am stunned that you are 77, have you a portrait in the attic"

I try not to smile too much, it causes wrinkles .

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 09:50:26 AM »

I've just sent out the email with the details for downloading the tunes for the workshops.

If anyone who has booked does not get the email, then please post here or email us direct.

Remember to look in your junkmail folder!

Cheers Brian

No email yet.  Nuffink in junk neever.  chrisrayner@doctors.net.uk

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2020, 09:44:26 PM »

On the one hand, we don't want to over-react, while on the other hand we want to act responsibly.
Thanks, Bob.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal