Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020  (Read 12886 times)

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »

Bob. If you have to cancel, please hold onto my payment. You could call it an interest free payment which you might or might not return depending on how MIW is financed in future years.

I know that you would not let personal cost influence your decision but you shouldn’t have to cover this risk by yourself. You put so much effort into this event (along with others such as Brian, Pete, Rees, Theo and Steve). Many of us want MIW to continue for many years.

Note: Embarrassment and compulsion is not intended – each according to means! We can all appreciate Bob’s predicament. Come June, Mel Biggs and I will need to decide about running  NE Melodeon weekend but the finances are simpler. 

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »

As everyone booked on the course should already know from emails that were sent out yesterday, we have had to cancel Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020. With the predicted further spread of Covid-19 and the fact that quite a few of the course participants are in the high risk category, we really had no choice. It would have been irresponsible to go ahead with the event.

I am currently in the process of dealing with the consequences of cancellation and will be sending out refunds to those who have requested them in the next couple of weeks. Many people have decided to carry forward their booking to next year, which will reduce considerably the cash flow consequences of cancellation, so a big thank you to all of you.

As many of you will know, the publication of my book on Yorkshire Dales tunes and dances is tied financially to the Melodeons in Wensleydale event and cancellation has put publication in jeopardy. However, it is looking increasingly likely that publication will be able to go ahead as planned because the majority of people I have heard from so far are carrying forward their booking for Melodeons in Wensleydale to next year. A decision will be made about publication of the book once I have heard from and responded to everyone who was booked on Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020. I will keep people up-dated here.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »

My sympathy Bob. Got to the first one, (and should have been there for Pascale and Toon).

Massive contribution to melodeonism on your part. We owe you our thanks 😀
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »

Massive contribution to melodeonism on your part. We owe you our thanks 😀
Absolutely! What Chris said.
You are a Star, Bob. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »

I wasn't able to commit this year or last, but came to the inaugural MIW and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have you though of trying some crowd funding to cover any shortfall/losses? I for one would gladly contribute to help out in some small way as someone who has benefited from your vision and financial risk in the past,
Steve from Wakefield

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2020, 03:01:08 PM »

I have chosen to go the middle road, and asked for half my course fee back, and half to be donated to the Dales Tunebook printing job.
However, this leaves the room at the Fountain Hotel.  I know under normal circumstances that deposits are non refundable - does anyone know if this is the case here or whether we can ask for that to be refunded???
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »

I have chosen to go the middle road, and asked for half my course fee back, and half to be donated to the Dales Tunebook printing job.
However, this leaves the room at the Fountain Hotel.  I know under normal circumstances that deposits are non refundable - does anyone know if this is the case here or whether we can ask for that to be refunded???
Lin
The contract with The Fountain will be between the hotel and yourself, so you should contact the hotel directly. As of 16th March, with government advising that...

"Everyone should avoid gatherings with friends and family, as well as large gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres"
and
"People should avoid non-essential travel "

...you have a good case for requesting a refund of your deposit. I'm sure you won't be the only one asking.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2020, 03:29:31 PM »

Thanks Steve I will try the hotel in that case, though I did not get a reply from them to an email I sent previously regarding the evening meal   :(
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2020, 04:23:43 PM »

I have talked to the Fountain this morning.
My deposit will be kept and I have the option of using it during this financial year.
They are emailing and answering customers who have booked for all their holiday and weekend breaks. It's a hard time for them and anyone in hospitality.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2020, 04:38:12 PM »

mmm maybe I will just let them keep it - after all they are going through much harder times than me  ;D
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »

Indeed
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Geoff P.

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2020, 04:54:24 PM »

I had a room booked at Herriots. They let me carry the deposit over to next year for MIW2121.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 06:12:07 PM »

So, Bob, if I understand correctly - if we hold the payment over to next year's event, that will be the fee for attendance covered for 2021 and will help you out in terms of cash flow?

If that's the case, then I'm very happy to hold off until 2021. Does that mean you aren't liable for paying venues and such this year?
Last year's event will stay in my memory for a long time.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 08:34:03 PM »

Yes, P&T, what you say is true, and thank you for the kind words in your final sentence.

You and everyone else booked on Melodeons in Wensleydale 2020 should have received a cancellation notice offering you the choice of either a full refund or carrying over your booking to next year. Those who choose the latter option will have first choice of workshops and will be asked to make your choices sometime in late October before we open things up to new bookings from 1 November. Since you have indicated here that you would like your booking fee to be carried forward, I will email you confirming that in the next few minutes.

To answer your other questions, the museum which hosts the event has generously agreed to waive payment for the hire of its premises. However, people carrying forward their bookings will help to ease our cash flow situation. Having said that, I don't want to put pressure on anyone to carry forward their booking - we will happily refund anyone who requests us to do so, but we do need to hear from everyone so that we know and can act on their preferred option. For those who choose to carry forward their booking, the option still exists for a refund at some future date if their circumstances change and they find that they cannot make the weekend of 23-25 April 2021.

Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2020, 04:40:13 PM »

In that case Bob, please do not act on my previous email regarding a 50% refund.  Keep the whole fee for now to help your printing costs, and we can make a decision regarding next year MIW later
cheers Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2020, 07:00:41 PM »

Thanks very much, Lin. Much appreciated.

There are still some people who haven't responded yet. I would be grateful if those people could let me know whether they want us to carry forward their course fee until 2021 or whether they would prefer a refund.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »

Oh Bob, I was thinking about this during the week.
I was fully intending leaving God's Wonderful County and venturing 'Where Be Dragons'...… but it'll have to wait!
Take care my friend, and let me know how to grab one of your new shiny books!
…..and best not drink *all* the beer or you know how you'll feel  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »

I was so looking forward to a weekend in my homeland and all the music and good company...but considering all that has happened...and continues to...I just hope for better things to come.

I shall have a bottle of Theakstons or two, toast old friends and those that have passed, and play some Dales tunes over the weekend and try to keep positive...stay safe all.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal