Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: unusual (?) concert pitch setting  (Read 2027 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
unusual (?) concert pitch setting
« on: June 01, 2019, 08:29:16 AM »

Anyone on here ever come across instruments tuned to 441.5Hz concert pitch (CP)...by design I mean?
That is what is being claimed (by somebody who contacted me) and my immediate rationalisation is that that the instrument (a PA) was tuned to 442 and the 0.5 drop is the difference between blocks out and in the case. So I'm curious to hear of other's experience.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: unusual (?) concert pitch setting
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 08:47:11 AM »

I doubt that the difference between blocks in and out would be consistent enough to allow someone to measure a difference of 0.5 cent.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 08:50:06 AM »

Well..quite...though it's 0.5 Hz, which is pretty small. If they were trying to establish the CP i'm struggling to see how they would identify 441.5...and anyway, why would a manufacturer (for instance) deliberately tune to 441.5? 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 08:58:56 AM by RogerT »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 09:09:25 AM »

Probably best to keep an open mind until you can check for yourself.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 11:56:16 AM »

Interesting subtleties here...using a tone generator and Dirks tuner...
Difference between A440 and 441 = 3.8cents, 440 and 42 = 7.5cents, 440 and 41.5 = 5.6cents, 441 and 41.5 = 1.9cents.
So 442 is a perceptibly (just) a *bit* sharper than 440. I suppose it sounds much sharper (than a 440 tuned instrument) when/if you add in M+ reed.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

I'd say 442 was noticeably sharper than 440. Slot of modern orchestral instruments are built to play at 440 with minimal warming up. 442 is quite common for concert pianos to save the blushes of modern wind sections. I don't think anyone deliberately aims for 0.5 of a Hertz.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Rog

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 06:18:30 PM »

You'd have thought so, but 7.5cents isn’t a huge jump. When you play a 442 MM+ box with 440 tuned instruments then it is more noticeable, probably because the perceived pitch is the difference between 442 and (say, for a medium tremolo) 445 or even more.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:40:06 PM »

I'm sure you're right, but I've seen rows drag on about someone playing at 442 instead of 440, and the other way round. It's a big enough difference to lose your job over if you are stubborn enough not to shift. That is of course on instruments that you can adjust as you play. Of course you are right about the tremolo etc. Talk to a harp player about orchestral pitch. Concerts start at 7.30 sharp and finish at 9.30 even sharper.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:58:16 PM »

I'm sure you're right, but I've seen rows drag on about someone playing at 442 instead of 440, and the other way round. It's a big enough difference to lose your job over if you are stubborn enough not to shift. That is of course on instruments that you can adjust as you play. Of course you are right about the tremolo etc. Talk to a harp player about orchestral pitch. Concerts start at 7.30 sharp and finish at 9.30 even sharper.

And 4 in the bar by 9.40..........  >:E :|glug
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal