Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Diatonic box with "piano" keys  (Read 1665 times)

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
Diatonic box with "piano" keys
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:58:39 PM »

Just for fun, I thought to share this picture of an instrument my neighbor has in his basement.  He said it belongs to his wife's Swedish grandpa who used to play for dancing but hasn't played in many years.  I asked for a picture and he sent me this one, interesting that the piano keys are set up like a two-row... maybe?  I'd like a chance to give it a squeeze, looks in decent shape.  The grandpa is still living and visits some Fridays so even better would be talking him into picking it up...  I've been playing around with tunes at the playground while my littles are busy at play and its been fun when people want to tell me about their connection to the instrument.
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

pgroff

Re: Diatonic box with "piano" keys
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »

Hi LoonBox,

I've seen a few of these by Paolo Soprani, usually in GC or CF and voiced in LMM. Your neighbor's example looks exceptional!  Someone should be playing it!

The general type has been discussed here before. *

I'll edit to add some pics and links.

PG

* Edited to add this previous threads, that also references even earlier threads:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,6991.msg86962.html#msg86962

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:24:11 PM by pgroff »

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 07:26:57 PM »

I've seen an old picture of the Flanagan Brothers (1920s Irish American Band) with one like that.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

LoonBox

• Good talker
  • Minneapolis Minnesota 🇺🇸
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 11:03:40 PM »

Hi LoonBox,

I've seen a few of these by Paolo Soprani, usually in GC or CF and voiced in LMM. Your neighbor's example looks exceptional!  Someone should be playing it!

The general type has been discussed here before. *

I'll edit to add some pics and links.

PG

* Edited to add this previous threads, that also references even earlier threads:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,6991.msg86962.html#msg86962

Thanks, I should know to do a search before posting, appreciate the link.  Almost connected with the Swedish grandpa today, will  try for next week. I've been having good luck meeting people lately.  Finding real live folk to learn from and play with has been pushing me to new levels and my enthusiasm has really taken off.
My grandfather's 1930s GC Hohner Burlwood. AD Hohner Presswood. DG Pokerwork with 4th button start. CF Preciosa- 4th button and doubled fifths. Bunch of project boxes and an in progress tuning bench. Also fiddles.

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 11:14:23 PM »

I've seen an old picture of the Flanagan Brothers (1920s Irish American Band) with one like that.

The Flanagan Brothers  An Irish Delight classic recordings of Irish traditional music in America Topic Records 12T365 (1979)

A selection of the 78rpm records recorded by Joe Flanagan [accordeon, low vocals] and Mike Flanagan [tenor banjo, high vocals] from the collections of Reg Hall and Tony Engle remastered as a sixteen track LP. 

Topic Records 12T365
Side One
1   Jig: Paddy in London
2   Reels: Paddy Ryan's Dream (Paddy Ryan's Dream/The Merry Blacksmith)
3   The Beggarman Song; (The Auld Rigadoo) (Mike - vocal)
4   Hornpipes: An' Carrowath (Stack of Wheat); Longdance (The Stack of Wheat The Bird in the Bush)
5   Medley of Irish Polkas: (No name/My Aunt Jane/ The Rakes of Mallow) (Joe - accordeon solo)
6   The New Irish Barn Dance
7   One Step: Irish Boy
8   Irish Delight (Vocal with accompaniment [the lilted reel is The Moving Bogs])
Side Two
9   Reels: The Auld Blackthorn (The Auld Blackthorn/ Connemara Stockings)
10 My Irish Molly O (Vocal with orch.)
11 Old Fashioned Waltz Medley: (Hills of Donegal/ Come Back Paddy Riley/ Stone Outside Dan Murphy's Door)
12 Reels: The Schoolmaster (The Scholar/Cregg's Pipes)
13 Highland Fling Medley: (Flowers of Milltown/ Some Say The Devil's Dead/ The Keel Row)
14 The Bandy Legged Mule (Mike - vocal)
15 Sprig of Shillelagh Polka (Sprig of Shillelagh/ The Rose Tree)
16 Exhibition Hornpipe The Blackbird

Reg Hall is credited with supplying the cover photograph.  The sleeve notes by Mick Moloney are available at http://www.theballadeers.com/noa/mnf_flanaganbros.htm
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 11:47:49 PM by Alan Pittwood »
Hohner Erica D/G.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 12:13:49 AM »

I saw one of these for sale in a junk shop in Macclesfield c.1978. To this day I regret not buying it.

wrt flannigan bros. I am a long term fan. there are other recordings which are not included the Topic compilation. I bought several from the 78 record exchange on little Underbank, Stockport in the late seventies. I don't think I paid more than 10p for any.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Alan Pittwood

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 09:35:20 AM »

wrt flannigan bros. I am a long term fan. there are other recordings which are not included the Topic compilation.

Various Artists  Past Masters of Irish Dance Music    Topic Records TSCD604 (2000)
track 17:  Flanagan Brothers: Rakes of Clonmel introducing Sarsfield 's Jig   Irish jigs

Various Artists  Round the House and Mind the Dresser Irish Country-House Dance Music  Topic Records TSCD606 (2000)
track 11:  Flanagan Brothers: Untitled / Untitled / Lord Moira    flings for the highland

Various Artists  Three Score and Ten  A Voice to the People   Topic Records TOPIC70 (2009)
CD Three — Ireland Boys, Hurrah  track 7: The Flanagan Brothers: My Irish Molly O [this is side two, track 10 on 12T365]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 09:37:21 AM by Alan Pittwood »
Hohner Erica D/G.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 10:33:02 AM »

my boxes with keyboard like this.
First - Hohner/Koch
Second - may be Royal Standard
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2019, 10:34:23 AM »

third - APS
not restored :-(
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 01:17:25 PM »

Dedenis also made accordeon diatonique, with similar style keys.

http://jeanluc.matte.free.fr/articles/typologie/dedenis.htm

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »

And to bring things up to date here is my example made by Karel van der Leeuw.

https://www.leeuwaccordeons.nl/productie/
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 01:26:38 PM by Theo »
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:45:04 PM »

So..these are diatonic 4th apart?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal