Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Streb Digital instruments still in business?  (Read 3737 times)

NickF

• Regular debater
Re: Is Streb Digital instruments still in business?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »

First essential purchase for Streb owner: Berringer Xenyx Mixer/USB.

I would argue that the first essentail purchase would be good quailty rechargeable batteries!  ;D
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »

First essential purchase for Streb owner: Berringer Xenyx Mixer/USB.

I would argue that the first essentail purchase would be good quailty rechargeable batteries!  ;D

If you plan to play out with a Streb Behringer do a very useful battery powered Xenyx mixer. The 1002B. It's not the only battery mixer on the market (though they are very uncommon) and it is not studio quality (although it sounds pretty OK), but it is, at about £76, by far the best value I have found.

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Lighting/Behringer-XENYX-1002B-Mixer/AM5
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »

GM, as noted, the Xenyx setup could not be easier (or cheaper).  It's a mixer/pre-amp. They have a usb output to your pc/mac and inputs from either your Strebs headphone or line out. 

One can do all kinds of fun stuff.  It can put one on the road to achieving Clives' beatific melodeon face, if not his playing prowess.

Corrected by Nick: you are correct, high amperage C rechargeables and a recharger that holds 6 was the first purchase.  Set of 15' ¼" cables was 2nd and the pre-amp was actually 3rd.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2019, 12:07:06 AM »

The Streb is an amazing piece of kit.  Yes the keyboard does make a noise mechanically ... but no more than any acoustic melodeon does if you listen to that in isolation ... because it is basically computer keys, the noise is different to the sound of a real melodeon keyboard, but definitely quieter than a Hohner.

The common mistake people make when reviewing them is to compare them to a real melodeon with reeds - which they categorically are not!  When you press more buttons down on a real melodeon, more air escapes the bellows and you learn to compensate for that ... when you play a Streb, this doesn't happen - air flow is only via an adjustable constant air-flow hole and using the air button.  The sounds that are built in to the most recent instruments are impressive given the small chip they are stored on but are not high definition samples by any stretch of the imagination by modern standards.  However ... using an external sampler via the MIDI connection, the world is your oyster!  I have tried both the Roland and the Streb with a MIDI setup and the Streb is the hands down winner when used with external midi expanders ...the main reason being that the Streb mimics the playability of an average melodeon much more closely than the Roland.  I spent years trying to develop perfect melodeon sounds using cutting edge sampling software with the Streb and completed a whole tour of Canada replacing all 6 melodeons and a concertina with the single Streb and a computer.  It almost worked fine ... but after listening back to myself playing it - the latency in any MIDI instrument meant that I went back to solely acoustic instruments live.

Finally  in this post - we are so so lucky to have Steve, who is a very clever and innovative guy, on our side.  He doesn't have to make Streb instruments and it's unlikely that he makes much money out of it (if any).  He does it in his spare time outside a day job ... and yet his instruments are a more professional attempt at modeling the melodeon electronically than a whole big company (Roland) because they miss the point (playability) for the toys and trinkets they offer you.  If you are lucky enough to get a Streb and you accept it is just a melodeon MIDI interface, you should be very grateful ... if you expect it to be a real acoustic instrument, then you will be disappointed ... but that will be your own fault!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Howard Jones

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2019, 05:36:21 PM »

I have tried both the Roland and the Streb with a MIDI setup and the Streb is the hands down winner when used with external midi expanders

What kit are you using?  Are there any good melodeon sounds available?  Most of the ones I've come across are for accordion, and I don't want to sound like a Scottish accordion drum and fiddle band.

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2019, 01:15:12 AM »

Sadly no great melodeon sounds available commercially as far as I know ... I used my own recorded. samples with the Kontakt software run on a Muse Receptor.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2019, 12:58:43 PM »

I do like the Mory Swing and the Lachenal, as is.  The others are an acquired taste.
BTW, Howard, what's wrong with soundlng like a Scottish Drum Band?  The Paolo voices!  :|glug
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2019, 01:01:48 PM »

V3 SOUND from Austria has modules with melodeon sounds: V3 ACCORDION MASTER XL and V3 SONORITYXXL. Some V3 SOUND dealers do have sound samples available. For the UK, you may contact Roy Hendrie Music https://www.royhendriemusic.co.uk/. No relation with these companies.

Carpe diem, C.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal