Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Streb Digital instruments still in business?  (Read 3739 times)

Bryan Scandrett

Is Streb Digital instruments still in business?
« on: June 01, 2019, 01:12:34 PM »

HI all,
Have a question for those who may know of Steve Rouse of Streb instruments.
I have his site and face book page and have sent an email early last week.
Given there's no response and his fb page has been inactive since 2016, I'm wondering if the man is still in business.
Can anyone please shed any light in him please?
Thanks,
 :|glug

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
Re: Is Streb Digital instruments still in business?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 01:14:24 PM »

He certainly was earlier this year. He doesn't always reply immediately to emails, I've found.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Bryan Scandrett

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 01:16:38 PM »

OK, thanks.
 :D
Doesn't post very often either

Corinto

• Regular debater
  • Spain/Brasil/Belgium
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 05:38:13 PM »

Have a question for those who may know of Steve Rouse of Streb instruments, ... I'm wondering if the man is still in business.

Definitely YES, as I received an email from Steve past week.
Carpe diem, C.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »

Ol' Steve is a multi-task Renaissance Man with many irons in the fire.  Lot of Streb aficionados and owners here.  What do you need to know?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Bryan Scandrett

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 02:37:25 PM »

Was inquiring as to price and turn around or order lead time. He has replied thanks so all good.
One thing I didn't ask him was about the button noise. Not that I know much about boxes compared to many but that noise is controllable to an extent.
Strebs seem way more noisy than any other I have heard.
I know Michael Usiu has some info on his site about bringing button noise down.
Do any of the aficionados and owners here have any work arounds?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »

I’m surprised you think Strebs are noisy, my little experience of then is not so.  There is a slight click from the switch as you press a button,  but it’s not so noticeable while playing. All my noise reduction techniques are for the mechanism of reeded instrument and would not apply to a Streb.  I imaging M Usui’s methods would also be designed for reeded instruments.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 04:00:18 PM »

My experience is that recording the solo instrument from a microphone close to the unit does give some button click.

However in a band context or recording directly there is no problem.

I don't play my Streb in sessions, Probably no problem though due to all the other noise.

Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Steve C.

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 05:33:36 PM »

My old mom, 93 years old and deaf as hell tells me that the Streb makes a clicking noise that drives her hearing aid crazy. 
Theo's corrrect of course, it's the switch clicking on with each button push, but I NEVER hear any clicking from Strebs.

Me, I play with headphones on at home, main reason why I have it and main reason why one must own the only melodeon one can own that can be played with abandon at 3 am unless one lives a lonely existence.

When playing out, usually play into an amp and I PROMISE you will not hear any button clicks.

But to the point, Strebs do click and what Dancemaster does, they do to mechanical melodeons.

Bryan Scandrett

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 06:44:17 PM »

OK, thanks for the POV, I was taking it from the fact I could hear plenty of clacking on the videos and at least one owner made mention of it.
But as you say, it may be due to the recording process on an electronic. Great news as there was so much noise on the vids, it was sinking the idea of midnight practice for me. A light case of the spoons.
https://youtu.be/RK5r1MkPkbI?t=21
Good to see three people come back in agreement and with the experience I'm only too happy to hear.
Thanks again.

I have another question now that Michael brought up and that’s the choice between a BC or a C#D?
He recommended Stiamh’s vids on the subject which are very informative with well presented information on the technical details.
After a lot of watching and learning, Stiamh comes to the conclusion, and I can’t see any reason to doubt him, it’s a matter of swings and roundabouts.
I have heard the fingering on BC is a bit harder but that comes down to the tune, the key and the balance between push and pull. Perhaps that was ‘…a BC is a bit harder than a 4th-apart.’
The last issue, the balance in the bellows, I imagine will only be mastered in lopsided tunes, with practice on the release button, learning to breath through the tune.
Does anyone want to weigh in on the decision between BC vs C#D as they saw it when they were starting?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:50:59 AM by Bryan Scandrett »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 06:54:49 PM »

Me, I play with headphones on at home, main reason why I have it and main reason why one must own the only melodeon one can own that can be played with abandon at 3 am unless one lives a lonely existence.

You could also do that with a Roland FR18

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 07:02:26 PM »

I believe the clicking is because the Streb keyboard assembly is basically the same as that of a computer keyboard due to the necessity of it being sufficiently robust to take the level of use.

I love my Streb (#008 and the first 2.5 row) but I rarely play it out of the house, instead it is my box for practising at 5am or when my partner is practising in the conservatory  - that being the only room that's not attached to the neighbours' house and also virtually soundproof outside. I play with the volume turned right down because headphones annoy me and the clicking is definitely a feature.

I bought my Streb second hand and it has since had an upgrade and a repair and Steve Rouse has been nothing but super-responsive and super-helpful.  If he hasn't replied to an email you could try messaging him through the forum - perhaps there is a problem with his email at the moment?

I'd imagine the reason he doesn't post on his FB page is simply because aside from having other irons in the fire he doesn't need to promote the Streb e-melodeon - the waiting list speaks for itself.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve C.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:56:55 PM »

Bryan, I am no detective, but if you are a beginner, why not get on Steve's list and in the mean time, buy a nice learner box from Michael or one of the friendly denizens on this list. 
Talking 4th apart vs. B/C (maybe not yet playing either) is big stuff....
 :Ph

Bryan Scandrett

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 06:49:00 AM »

Thanks SteveC but I'm not considering a 4th-apart to a BC but the difference, (for a beginner,) between the two half tones apart, BC vs C#D? For a beginner, is there any advantage, one over the other, at all?

I'm going to attempt to rent a box locally for a few months to confirm I will stick with it. I have a few issues to overcome.
Once that is confirmed, it will be either one of Michael's 2 rows or one for sale that drops into my lap between now and then, a deal too good to refuse.
Michael's wait time is less than a month delivered, which is nothing.
When I have my own, I will go onto Steve's 18 month waiting list for a digital.
Or so goes the plans of mice and men.

@Helena Handcart, Steve has replied thank you, all good now.

streb

• Good talker
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 08:23:59 AM »

Yes, definitely still here. Sorry if I don't reply immediately. I have other things on at the moment as well as the day job. I am working steadily through my orders and am so far keeping to my promised/threatened 18 months.

Yes, admittedly the buttons are a bit clacky if you record at low volume with the mic close to the eMelodeon. Tim Edey recorded some videos while on tour. They are very, very good but he did record using a mobile phone on the table in front of him.

Steve

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 11:14:21 AM »

If you want to record it, why not connect the eMelodeon's headphone jack directly to the recording device? (assuming you have something that has an external mic or line input socket.)

And if that sounds too clean and synthetic and you want some natural room sound, hook it up to an amplifier and re-mike that, somewhere not directly in from of the clicky keys and with the mic pointing away from them.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve C.

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »

First essential purchase for Streb owner: Berringer Xenyx Mixer/USB.
It won't help you play like Clive, but your box can sound like his (!)

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 02:55:10 PM »

Yes, admittedly the buttons are a bit clacky.

Surely the trick is to pretend it’s a pokerwork.😉
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

gm0lze

• Good talker
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2019, 04:43:18 PM »

« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:52:15 PM »
ReplyQuote

Steve,
Can you describe your set up with the Berringer Xenyx Mixer/USB.Thank You.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:35 PM »

Steve,
Can you describe your set up with the Berringer Xenyx Mixer/USB.Thank You.

I tend to record from the headphone output, via a small preamp into the mic socket on a PC - key noise isn't an issue in that case. In practice, key noise would only be an issue if you're trying to play silently while someone else in the same room is doing something else - it does sound a bit like a manic typewriter. But for normal playing through the loudspeaker, or silent playing when people are busy or asleep in other rooms, it's perfect.

And yes, you can sound like me, because a lot of the samples came from my melodeons (initially anyway, Steve may have replaced them by now) :-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal