Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Halsway Melodeon/Leveret weekend  (Read 5731 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Halsway Melodeon/Leveret weekend
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2019, 10:52:19 AM »

I’ve been involved as an an admin at many music events over the years and it’s very common to find that good players underestimate their ability, and that less good players often overestimate theirs!  If in doubt contact the event organiser for guidance.

https://halswaymanor.org.uk/halsway-melodeon-playing-levels/

Yes, in this case it's perhaps best not to look.

(:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2019, 02:25:54 PM »

Oh dear. Just described myself as an 'advanced' player for the melodeon weekend.
 Is it too late to get practicing ? ::)
J
I've seen and heard you play. Definitely advanced. Fortunately at Wensleydale, the Intermediate and Advanced were the same groups. Enjoy the weekend.
Yes - what P&T said. I've heard you play several times now and not just in workshops. Julian - you're an advanced player. Believe in yourself! 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 02:41:11 PM »

There you go Julian, I'm not the only one of that opinion!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

heartshaped1

• Good talker
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 02:50:06 PM »

There you go Julian, I'm not the only one of that opinion!
Q

Thirded or fourthed, wherever we’re at now!
Having sat next to you Julian at both Andy Cutting’s workshop in Holmfirth and while we both tried to keep up with Toon’s ‘let’s all play in 7/8 now but in b minor’ at Wensleydale I would say definitely advanced! Enjoy!!!!
G/C/Acc VanDerAa, D/G/Acc Hohner Lucia, D/G Pariselle, D/G Castagnari Mory, G/C Castagnari Lilium, C/F Hohner Club I, D/G Hohner Pokerwork

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

Ok ok...how many beers do I owe now ? (:) :|glug
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »

Damn you've seen through my subterfuge   ;D
No, all honestly meant, and looking forward to sharing a pint in a couple of weeks time!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 09:33:00 PM »

And the Halsway Melodeon weekend was really excellent.
Great tuition from Mel Biggs, Andy Cutting and Anne Niepold - lots of things to digest technique wise. (The benefits of using different fingers for repeat notes being just one thing to focus on personally - not to forget cross chords on left hand and really practising those right hand chords )
Then there were the incredible performances in the concert...lovely playing from the tutors.
It was also great to catch up with friends and be tempted by the Acorn stall, yet again !

And for me a few days to recover before Leveret weekend...

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »

I totally agree, an excellent weekend!
...and lovely company too.
Just great all round  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2019, 10:14:54 PM »

And the Halsway Melodeon weekend was really excellent.
Great tuition from Mel Biggs, Andy Cutting and Anne Niepold - lots of things to digest technique wise. (The benefits of using different fingers for repeat notes being just one thing to focus on personally - not to forget cross chords on left hand and really practising those right hand chords )
Julian
Glad to hear that you've been enjoying yourself Julian. I wish I could get out more.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »

Glad to hear that you've been enjoying yourself Julian. I wish I could get out more.

What P&T says. Wish I could of gone. They insist on holding this event on my wife's birthday.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2019, 07:48:24 AM »

Greg, next year it's on the first weekend in July.
See you there!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2019, 08:46:53 AM »

They've seen sense at last.

I shall plan for it.

Last year I did the Leveret weekend which was brilliant, but a bit lonely  (:)

Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:00 AM »

Brain = mush.

Well, wasn't that just marvelous?!

Dates for next year are 3-5th July with myself, Anne, Andy and Hazel.

I've prepared a playlist of my YouTube videos of tunes/accompaniments as promised to help with your ongoing learning (and to help piece your brains back together!):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQWRRYxpOfwhLqqHX5GN3H60-H7evOhAZ
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »

Yep utter mush here too..... but wasn't it great?
thanks again
Q
Thrupenny Bit

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2019, 01:35:02 PM »

Great weekend,good to meet previous and new customers
Not rushing about much today,totally shattered,drove all the way home last night,280 miles,got home midnight
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 01:40:21 PM by pete /acorn »
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Dave Praties

• Regular debater
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2019, 02:44:22 PM »

As above - fantastic weekend, and such talented and lovely tutors. Also, how great to have Acorn, probably the most expensive toy-shop in the country! good to talk to you Pete, my bank cards are still itching! Soon perhaps. Cheers all, Dave
Castagnari Mory D/G.  Saltarelle Bouebe D/G. Hohner Club 2 C/F. Bachenbulach Bb/Eb. Matzini C/F. Some of them even work.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

Glad you got back safely Pete ( and all those with long journeys home).
Lovely to chat, and your Toy Shop was great! It is a rare treat to see such a lovely set of instruments all in one place and having the time to go back and try various models in such a relaxed environment.
It gives much food for thought  ::)
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Howard Jones

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »

Due to diary clashes I haven't been able to attend either of these. I'd particularly like to attend a Leveret workshop, maybe next year.

Whilst I know it should be regarded only as a broad guide and perhaps not taken too literally, I am a little surprised that Halsway Manor's "playing levels" emphasises sight-reading at "Advanced Intermediates" and "Advanced Professional" levels, and even "Lower Intermediates" are expected to read music.  It also suggests that at the two highest levels you should 'probably' be playing 2+ rows and 12 or 18 basses.  I can think of a number of highly-regarded players who wouldn't meet these criteria, especially the second, including some professionals.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2019, 08:04:13 PM »

I admit I found the implication that as you progress a 2 row 8 bass isn't good enough somewhat odd.
Saying that, the Advanced group had about 3 2.5 row/12 basses and 4 2 row 8 bass players. You didn't need anything more than a 2 row 8 bass for the tuition.
The tunes we tackled  were all 'by ear' though one tutor had some dots to remind us later. Sight reading was not necessary.
I think the tutors found it easier to split the groups and as the broad playing levels went out before hand to all participants, the tutors then had an idea of numbers in each group. That helped them put the largest group in the largest room etc. and work out before hand the logistics of the mass of people walking through the door.

This was the third DG weekend and I attended this one and the second one was my first time. They are relatively new weekends and I've seen improvements in organisation between the second and third weekend. They are working to improve it year on year for the people attending them.
As ever the accommodation and hospitality is superb, my wife coming along as a non-participant simply to enjoy a weekend away in gorgeous surroundings and being waited on hand and foot. In fact we've just booked for next year!
They really are brilliant weekends, I've learnt a lot and also met a lot of very nice people along the way.
…..but of course they're nice people, they play melodeons  (:)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2019, 11:46:03 PM »

I am a little surprised that Halsway Manor's "playing levels" emphasises sight-reading at "Advanced Intermediates" and "Advanced Professional" levels, and even "Lower Intermediates" are expected to read music.  It also suggests that at the two highest levels you should 'probably' be playing 2+ rows and 12 or 18 basses.

I find pinches of salt are in order, so far as Halsway's definitions of levels are concerned.
Going on my experience of last years Leveret weekend, the ability to pick up tunes, reasonably quickly, was a a lot more appropriate and useful, at any level, than any amount of dot reading. 2row v. 2+ rows was irrelevant. Ear playing, on two rows, was pretty much what it was all about, so far as diatonic accordion playing went (don't call it a melodeon when Andy's around).

If you plan to do a weekend next year and your ear playing could do with more work, start putting the work in now. I certainly felt the lack, even though my dot reading is ok.
Greg Smith

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal