Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: what can I play?  (Read 5268 times)

george garside

Re: what can I play?
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 12:05:42 AM »

You have to remember that the melodeon was designed to be cheap to make and easy to play simple diatonic music.  That made it very suitable for the popular music of that period, but when popular music became more chromatic it fell out of favour, except for folk music.  Nevertheless, it is possible to play music of some complexity, but it will always be limited by comparison with a fully chromatic instrument such as the PA or CBA. 

In particular, with only 8 bass buttons your chord choices will inevitably be constrained.  There are ways to fudge chords, as already explained, and sometimes you just have to make do with the chord which fits best even if it isn't the proper one.  You may have to transpose, and sometimes the best key isn't the most obvious, especially when playing in minor keys. 

If you are determined to play more complex music then having a 3rd accidental row (rather than one in another diatonic key) will increase the options on the right hand, and having 12 or 18 basses will increase the chord options.  However you are then starting to drift towards what your PA is already capable of. 

Part of the challenge of melodeon is trying to find ways around its limitations, however you have to accept that some tunes just won't be possible, they are not what the instrument was designed for.  However as the link in the original post shows, 'Monkey Island' can be played on a melodeon.  The differences between club and standard layout aren't so great that they can't be got around.  Study the video - he seems to be using different combinations of chord buttons to achieve non-standard chords - and try to work out what can be done on your own box.

I totally agree that a bog standard 8 bass dg box has its limitations as do any other melodeon set ups be it two and abit rows or 3 rows.   Trying to play a melodeon in the same way as a piano or continental chromatic accordion whilst possibly being a challenge is often a hiding to nowhere - why not get a pinao or continental chromatic box and have done with it!

On the other hand  treating the simple 8 bass 2 row box  as a folk instrument   and accepting its liimitations can lead to a great deal of enjoyment .  Thre is absolutely no need to play 'correct bass' whatever that means and in some cases its fine to play treble only which can in many cases be enhanced with RIGHT hand chord and sod the bass. It is also perfectly acceptable to play treble only as do many Irish trad BC players.

Enjoy the melodeon for what it is  rather than trying to make it sound like something like something it isn't!

george ( probably 3 sheets to the wind after an evening of real ale!)

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Dick Rees

• Neo-Luddite
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 01:39:48 AM »

I play music on various instruments.  Each has its advantages and disadvantages.  For instance, I can easily harmonze RH triads spread over a tenth on a 2-row diatonic while the same intervals on my PA's are difficult if not impossible.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 02:29:04 AM by Dick Rees »
"You're making the wrong mistakes."
...Thelonius Monk

"I never made one of my discoveries through the process of rational thinking."
...Albert Einstein

Cogito ergo bibo.
...Bacchus

Sebastian

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »

'correct bass' whatever that means
Correct chords means chords that are interpretable as following the tunes harmonic progression.

Enjoy the melodeon for what it is  rather than trying to make it sound like something like something it isn't!
Yes. Why trying to reach sour grapes.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 09:13:10 AM »

Correct chords means chords that are interpretable as following the tunes harmonic progression.

As a 1 row 4 stop player the correct bass is either the only one available or none.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:38:26 PM by Lester »

george garside

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 11:43:56 AM »

to me 'correct chords' are those that are not dischords

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »

As a 1 row player the correct bass is either the only one available or none.

Unless you're on a 1040 when ot might be "oh it's that one..." :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »

As a 1 row 4 stop player the correct bass is either the only one available or none.

Unless you're on a 1040 when ot might be "oh it's that one..." :|glug

Updated my post   ;)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2019, 01:04:54 PM »

Well, in some cases even if we're the only ones left in the world, I still wouldn't press that chord.  >:E
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2019, 03:01:47 PM »

Well, in some cases even if we're the only ones left in the world, I still wouldn't press that chord.  >:E

Step away from the left hand...(unless you're left handed...) >:E >:E
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Sebastian

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2019, 01:48:28 PM »

Thank you for your kind hint. Original Poster plays 3-row 12 basses.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »

to me 'correct chords' are those that are not dischord george

Maybe,George but that's to stay totally in a comfort zone?

1. 12 bar blues - all three chords of the bass set are discords. Indeed, in say D we
     might accent that further by playing A7#9 as the turnaround cord? Works just
      fine and also present on main rows of a D/G!

2 Minor ii V progression: eg F#min,b5 | B7 | Em (again, all there on standard kit)?

3 Sus chords, clashing adjacent notes (ditto)

4 My current favourite chord Am9 on C base = Cmaj7#11 😜 Another freebie on DG

… or just Em9, or Am9 as substitutes for trichords? "Texture" is in the chord extensions
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal