Discussions > Instrument Design, Construction and Repair

Enhance Club IIB responsiveness

(1/3) > >>

-Y-:
Hello all,

I'm having difficulties in switching accordions these days, and I realise that it may have to do with the fact that when I switch from my Mélodie or my Castagnari (on stage, at home or when we rehearse) to the Club IIb, it feels so much less responsive, making it hard to play (I have to put much more energy to achieve the same result, and I lack the subtlety in volume I have with my other boxes).
I don't really know how to improve that. I was thinking that maybe I ought to use stiffer springs ? But I would gladly welcome any recommendation on any fettling that would go in the right direction !

Thanks in advance

Dick Rees:
Mind the gap...

-Y-:
I'm a bit frustrated, I don't get the joke (and explaining it would kind of spoil the thing).

Theo:

--- Quote from: -Y- on June 15, 2019, 04:50:13 PM ---
I don't really know how to improve that. I was thinking that maybe I ought to use stiffer springs ? But I would gladly welcome any recommendation on any fettling that would go in the right direction !

Thanks in advance

--- End quote ---

I do not think that stiffer springs would help.   Most reeds can have their responsiveness improved to some extent by adjusting the gap under the tip of each reed.  It is not difficult to do - just bend the reed a little up or down.   What is difficult and requires considerable skill is to get the gap set for the optimum response for the style of the player.  If you are a gentle player you can have a slightly smaller gap and get a better response, if you  use the full volume of your instrument then the gap must be larger or the reeds will choke.  Also remember that it is not possible to make a Hohner Club IIB play like a Castagnari or a Mélodie.  The reeds are just not made to the same quality standard.

-Y-:
Oh, thanks for your input Theo. However I realise that I may have used the wrong word. I was talking about the response of the buttons/levers, and not the reeds.
It's not easy to describe but it's really the mechanisms that I find a bit slow, you have to really exagerate all the fingers movements to achieve anything, which is kind of tiring in the long run.
I know that I won't transform it into a Castagnari but maybe there something to be done anyway?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version