Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stahlstimmen  (Read 1580 times)

Peadar

Stahlstimmen
« on: June 16, 2019, 06:27:28 PM »

What does this signify - metal plate on a pre-anchor Hohner
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Stahlstimmen
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 06:46:16 PM »

"Steel reeds".
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Peadar

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:06:19 PM »

Thanks

Graham Spencer

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 07:19:55 PM »

You're welcome!
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »

German is a great language for concocted words from existing words.  My favourite is Feuerundlebensversicherungsgesellschaft.  That’s a fire and life insurance company in English.  Stahl is steel in German, and Stimme is, among other meanings, voice. 
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Sebastian

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 03:30:16 PM »

My favourite is Feuerundlebensversicherungsgesellschaft.
Yes. Only problem: It's not an existing word.  >:E

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 03:46:20 PM »

Indeed. At best it would be written: "Feuer- und Lebensversicherungsgesellschaft".

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »

Indeed. At best it would be written: "Feuer- und Lebensversicherungsgesellschaft".

Well that’s what my German teacher taught me circa. 1963
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Peadar

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »

German is a great language for concocted words from existing words.  My favourite is Feuerundlebensversicherungsgesellschaft.  That’s a fire and life insurance company in English.  Stahl is steel in German, and Stimme is, among other meanings, voice.
Then, if German plurals form in the same way as (Scottish) Gaelic ones... "Stahlstimmen" is equivalent to "Steelvoices" ( Gaidhlig=> Guthan Stailinn)

And in another continental European language ( don't know which one ) "Voces de Bronze" (brassy plate on my most recent aquisition in AD) gives me  Guthan Umha / Voices of Bronze.

So what national market was "Voces de Bronze" aimed at?

Graham Spencer

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »

Then, if German plurals form in the same way as (Scottish) Gaelic ones... "Stahlstimmen" is equivalent to "Steelvoices" ( Gaidhlig=> Guthan Stailinn)

And in another continental European language ( don't know which one ) "Voces de Bronze" (brassy plate on my most recent aquisition in AD) gives me  Guthan Umha / Voices of Bronze.

So what national market was "Voces de Bronze" aimed at?

The Spanish-speaking market would be a fair size, I'd guess - most of Central and South America, to start with..........

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal