Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Scandanavian, Finnish, etc Folk Tunes  (Read 15904 times)

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
  • Pokerworks, Crane Duets, Bandoneon
Scandanavian, Finnish, etc Folk Tunes
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »

Being very new to melodion I'm sorry if I ask obvious questions.  I'll try to learn and only ask once.  Is there a good source for Scandanavian folk tunes that can be played on a G/C box?

I hope that it's not an obvious question.   :P
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes." - Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club

"OOP-ACK-THHPT!" - Bill the Cat

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
Re: Scandanavian, Finnish, etc Folk Tunes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 05:03:11 AM »

This is a great place to start.Hundreds of tunes and many of them also have recordings that you play along with if they're in your keys.
http://www.spillefolk.dk/

Also, keep in mind that you can pretend  that your G/C is an F/Bb,A/D or Bb/Eb and play tunes in those Keys as well.It's a good idea to get accustomed to reading music in keys other than the ones that you actually have.

Chris

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:09:40 AM »

Hmmm + only 1940 tunes eh! :Ph  Some quite diverse - Ireland and Shetland but and absolute gold mine for the Baltic.  8)

For domestic reasons I'm looking for Saumi tunes (here for a wedding). Google translate toolbar (clever stuff!) has made stalwart efforts with that Danish but leaves terms it doesn't know 'as is'. May I take it that Fyn, , Midtfyn, Nordfyn are from Finland? And what is a Fynbo please. If any danish speaker could post a quick glossary  - we'd all love him forever  :D

But otherwise thanks for posting me/us at a quite fantastic resource. Isn't the www incredible sometimes?  Chris, in sunny Helsinki

PS: just found a Union Jack on the Nodesamling/findnoder pull down menu. When you click it the instructions and wrappers change, if not the tune notes. Excellent. And it seems to tranfer a cookie - follow on pages stay in english.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:19:38 AM by chrisryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:21:18 PM »

Hi Chris,

Thank very much for posting the link.  I'm an old music teacher so reading the notes isn't hard .. just getting all the connections from notes to fingers/hands.  If it's too hard I can always pull out the concertina.  It doesn't really mind the key.

Now I'm not too sure about learning one of those languages, though.
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

"How great life is if you just accept the small gifts and don't waste time on wishes." - Clinton "Bubba" Hare, Airheads Beemer Club

LJC

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:57 PM »

Here is my current favorite Swedish tune attached, playable on a DG but it would fit a GC perfectly. The National Association of American Nyckelharpa has a good website, its not melodeon music, but they have some good sound files and the dots for quite a few choice tunes. Their address is http://www.nyckelharpa.org/

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:43:40 PM »

LJC,  I'd think the Nyckelharpa would be tougher to learn than a Maccan Duet concertina.  Yikes.  But the website is quite nice and there's music to play.  I appreciate the post.
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:31:03 PM »

Currently, one of my favourite Scandinavian tunes is Scottish fran Norbotten. It also goes very well with Weasel's Revenge.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 02:34:06 PM »

Talking of Scandinavian tunes, I believe the tune below is Danish but I have no idea what it is called. Can anybody enlighten me, please?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 03:13:27 PM »

Can anyone enlighten me as to how I can print out these tunes?? Ta.

sCANdanADIAN

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 04:05:55 PM »

No need to translate,just click where it says "English" and you'll see "Fiddle Tunes".You can select by dance type,Hambo,Waltz,Polka etc or Country or region.The tunes with Mp3 is usually what I click,most of the tunes are performed by the Folkets Hus orchestra which is Danish.The Danish tunes are played well but they don't always get the right feel for the Swedish,Norwegian and Finnish tunes though more recent recordings are sounding much better.

There is a great selection of Norwegian Polskas played on accordion by Jon Birger Grytdal,just search Polska and listen to all of the Rorospols (N).

Chris Ryall,I'm not a native speaker or much of a reader but I do know that Fyn is an Island in Denmark so all those tunes are from east Fyn,middle Fyn and north Fyn.Pretty close to the English isn't it ;).I've read that Danes will go to England an remark that the towns are all named after Danish towns,just mispronounced!

Folkets Hus has a modest selection of Finnish polkas and the occasional scottish and waltz.I know of a few more sites of Finnish music and there are a couple of good U-tube channels that I'll post up later today.

Chris

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 04:19:23 PM »

Right click and save as an image, then double click the image and it should include a print option under File.  I hope this will work for _most_ operating systems that you might be using?
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 04:55:44 PM »

Right click and save as an image, then double click the image and it should include a print option under File.  I hope this will work for _most_ operating systems that you might be using?

alternatively save the image and paste it into a word doc (or Open Office writer  ;))

I don't have a connection from the lap to the printer so I mail it to meself and print it off at the desk top ....
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl

Matthew B

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »

You might want to pick up a copy of Harmonica & Accordion in Sweden (Munspel och handklaver ), Caprice Records 1995, CAP 21482.  Its fascinating, and has some great tunes on it, some of which will suit your key choice. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 01:26:30 PM »

The Danish equivalent of the 1001 O'Neill's has loads of tunes in most "normal" keys and if you read the dots is an absolutely superb collection. Known as the 358 it is published by Danske Folkdanseres
Spillemandskreds and contains 708 tunes in two books. Just google "Dansk Folkedanseres Spillemandskreds" and see what you find. I bought the books over the internet, use them regularly and have seen them used by Scandinavian bands at dance festivals. Although the tunes claim to be Danish, I've come across plenty from the books in Norway and Sweden so I expect you can add Finland to that.  Most of the tunes seem to be from the period 1750-1850 and some appear to originate in the UK.

strad

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 01:31:21 PM »

Thanks for the help in printing out tunes from here. Now all I have to do is learn 'em.

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 03:48:38 PM »

This is brilliant.  I can't get the Danish Folk site shopping cart to work yet but will email them.  Thanks again, everyone, for your responses!

Does anyone know of an english-language site that sells the 358?  I get into the checkout screens and can't really decipher what they're asking for in the fields.  ???
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:32:59 PM by saguaro_squeezer »
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »

Any guidance on which accordions are most waterproof?

http://www.folkemusikhusringen.dk/limonet.jpg
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

saguaro_squeezer

• Good talker
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 01:32:23 AM »

Is there a Pokerwork Polar Bear Club?  How would it survive immersion at 0 degrees C?   :o
Rod Wagoner
Tucson, AZ

HallelujahAl

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 09:43:38 AM »

Back to topic albeit ever so briefly, here's a Norse tune called the Hardy Norseman. Can anyone shed any light on it for me?
AL

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

A Finnish polka I like (and co-incidentally just found it in ABC this lunchtime) is Ievan Polkka (Ieva's Polka).  On the net http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/cgi/abc/tunefindit's in Bm but http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php you can convert it to a key you're happier in on the GC box.
Ciao Bellow

Darren
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal