Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EATMT Melodeon & Concertina Weekend  (Read 3072 times)

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
EATMT Melodeon & Concertina Weekend
« on: June 21, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »

Starting a new thread for this because I don't want to driftify Mel's thread about her Derbyshire playgroup event. 

I was pleased to read Steve's posts about the melodeon & concertina weekend to be hosted by the EATMT but can't find anything about it on their website diary

Is this event a sort of successor to the old 'Melodeons & More' weekends that used to be held in March each year?  Does anyone (hello Steve) have any further details to share at this point?

Thanks

Helena
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
Re: EATMT Melodeon & Concertina Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »

EATMT send out regular newsletters it mentioned in the last one.  More info is due in mid July.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 02:59:34 PM »

I found a brief mention on the website but mid July is leaving it late, people's diaries get filled up and some who would have liked to attend may well find themselves already booked up.

Howard Jones

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 04:06:31 PM »

There is a reference to it at the bottom of their welcome page, it appears to be part of "Cider and Song at The Museum of East Anglian Life, Stowmarket" 18 & 19 October 2019:

"for the more serious players a “Pressing the Buttons” day of workshops for concertina and melodeon players. Booking detials will be made avaible for Pressing the Buttons in mid July."

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 05:03:10 PM »

Starting a new thread for this because I don't want to driftify Mel's thread about her Derbyshire playgroup event. 

I was pleased to read Steve's posts about the melodeon & concertina weekend to be hosted by the EATMT but can't find anything about it on their website diary

Is this event a sort of successor to the old 'Melodeons & More' weekends that used to be held in March each year?  Does anyone (hello Steve) have any further details to share at this point?

Thanks

Helena
Yes - it's going ahead on Saturday 19th October at the Museum of East Anglian Life in Stowmarket. Workshops as follows:
Beginner's melodeon - tutor Otis Luxton, who is a member here though not active for a while.
Intermediate/advanced melodeon - tutor yours truly, content will include some East Anglian tunes!
English concertina - tutor Sally Barrett
Anglo concertina - tutor Alan Day - will be teaching mostly by ear.

There will hopefully be an open session on the Friday evening and a concert by a local band on the Saturday evening.

As people have indicated, more information will be on the EATMT website soon.
Apologies on behalf of EATMT for the lack of information so far. There has been only one member of staff (Alex Bartholomew) looking after everything until now; she is a volunteer working only two days a week, so there is a limit to what she has been able to do, although I understand she now has an assistant. The new (3rd) director David Cain is still finding his feet, but he is committed to getting things going again.

I don't want to make too much of this on the public forum, but as indicated on the Derby playgroup thread, the EATMT nearly collapsed completely after an appalling choice of (2nd) director after the retirement of Katie and John Howson who had run the trust successfully for very many years. PM me if you want to know more.

Anyway - do make a note of the date and come along if you can.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:37:11 PM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »

Acorn Instruments will be there
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »

Acorn Instruments will be there
Hooray!  (:)  (:)  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: EATMT Melodeon & Concertina Weekend 'Pressing the Buttons'
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 12:36:16 AM »

NEWS!

Bookings are now open for the new East Anglian Traditional Music Trust venture 'Pressing the Buttons' workshops, going ahead on Saturday 19th October at the Museum of East Anglian Life, Stowmarket, Suffolk. Tutors are Otis Luxton, Steve Dumpleton (melodeons), Sally Barrett (English concertina) and Alan Day (Anglo concertina).

Also sessions on Saturday lunch time, plus a Saturday evening concert (details to be announced).

On the Friday evening there is an evening of Traditional Music and Song with a session led by Suffolk-based Company of Horham Old School who are being joined by a number of local musicians. The MC for the evening is Richard Cove who regularly hosts a Traditional Music session at the Blaxhall Ship Inn on the East coast of Suffolk.

Full details and booking information HERE

Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
Pressing the Buttons
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 12:05:38 PM »

Being a big fan of the former Melodeons and More event run by EATMT I was pleased  to see the new version 'Pressing the Buttons' taking place alongside the EATMT Cider and Song Festival this October.

I've just signed up - anglo for me and intermediate melodeon for my partner. Prices are super reasonable and there's camping available too. Excellent all round.

Hope to see a good number of familiar faces during the weekend.

Event details here
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 12:33:41 PM »

[[ADMIN]]

Topics merged.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
Pressing the Buttons: EATMT Melodeon & Concertina Weekend
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 07:25:59 AM »

Alex Bartholomew (administrator for the East Anglian Traditional Music Trust) tells me that there is a steady stream of applicants for this event, but still plenty of spaces available.

After the damage and shambles caused by the abrupt resignation of the director who had just been appointed to replace John and Katie Howson, EATMT is now starting to get back on track. Please support this event if you can. We want to rebuild confidence and return to the former success of events such as the very popular 'Melodeons and More' and 'Traditional Music Day'.

Even if you can't come yourself, please spread the word to your melodeon- and concertina-playing friends who may not be Melnet members.

Further information here and a booking form here.

Hope to see you there!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2019, 09:15:48 AM »

Just a reminder that the 'Pressing the Buttons' workshop spaces are filling steadily, so if you haven't already done so, get your applications in very soon.
Application form here.

EATMT coordinator Alex Bartholomew writes:

The musicians have been booked via EATMT and now the Museum of East Anglian Life is busy organising the Cider side of the event which includes adding various craft stalls and activities for the day and building on last year’s event.  Camping has been added following popular requests for this as have a few beers alongside the vast number of ciders and lots of soft drinks and on site caterers.

Join us for music performances, workshops, a lunchtime music session, storytelling, food tasting and craft activities.

Friday 18th October 5.30pm

Taking place on the back lawn of Abbot’s Hall House, the bar in the Marquee opens on Friday evening at 5.30pm and tickets for the evening are £7.50 (via the Museum – in person or in advance via the Museum’s Cider & Song website).  There will be a Traditional Music Session from 7pm hosted by Company of Horham Old School with Richard Cove as MC (Richard is currently MC of the third Wednesday of the month sessions at the Blaxhall Ship Inn). You’re welcome to bring your instruments or just your voice and join in or to sit and sample the ciders and listen.

Saturday 19th October 11am-5pm; 7pm – 11pm

For a full and up to date list of stall holders and performers involved in the day, please refer to the Cider and Song website.  EATMT has endeavoured to cover performers with links from across the counties of East Anglia with varying styles of Traditional Music and so we hope there’s something for everyone. 

This year, the Trust is pleased to have involved:

Capstan Full Strength
Sound Tradition
Potiphar’s Apprentices
Stumpy Oak
The Harbour Lights Trio
The Sam Kelly Trio

For more information on this event, please visit the Cider and Song website or our Events page (scroll down for Cider and Song information).

Steve
Sheffield, UK.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »

Me and mum are planning on attending  (she's started to learn concertina now). I'm trying to persuade her to sign up for a workshop.
I read elsewhere about a session is that on the Saturday because I'll probably do that instead of a workshop. It was nice last time to look round the stalls etc.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »

I am coming down with a trade stall for the weekend.

My stall will be in The Old Peculiars Room in the Big House,I set up Friday afternoon and stall open from 10 till 4.30 on Saturday however I will be nearby from Friday morning.

If anyone wants to try any instruments on Friday or Sunday no problem,just give me a ring.numbers on web site.If you Phone landline it will be transfer to mobile.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.Looks like it will be a great event.

Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 07:29:06 PM »

Me and mum are planning on attending  (she's started to learn concertina now). I'm trying to persuade her to sign up for a workshop.
I read elsewhere about a session is that on the Saturday because I'll probably do that instead of a workshop. It was nice last time to look round the stalls etc.
Brilliant! it will be good to catch up with you both again - it's been a long time!
The Saturday session is over lunch time, I think.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 12:02:46 PM »

It was lovely to meet up with everyone again. And so great to get get stuck into a session at lunchtime  (I haven been to one in ages).

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »

After the event - some brief feedback...

Thanks to all who came to the workshops and other events! It was a lovely weekend, especially enhanced by the nice weather. Sunny Suffolk comes up with the goods again! There were lots of events going on as the main host was the Museum of East Anglian Life with their Cider and Song festival. Some great concert acts, especially if you like sea shanties and stuff like that.

For the East Anglian Traditional Music trust, there were melodeon and concertina workshops, step-dancing competition, jig dolls demonstrations and dancing, a led session on the Friday evening and more of a free-for-all session on the Saturday lunch time.

Workshop numbers were a little bit down compared with previous Melodeons and More events (the last of which was two and half years ago), and I have to say there were some mutterings from some of the participants about the (quote) "utter stupidity" (unquote) of arranging the Derbyshire playgroup day on the same date as the EATMT event. But elsewhere we've already gone into the reasons for the clash and there is nothing more to be gained in raking it over further now, except to ensure that no clashes occur in the future.

But this weekend has hopefully managed to re-establish the viability and desirability of future EATMT events which would be particularly of interest for melodeon and concertina players, and which would be independant of the Museum of East Anglian Life (who rather called all the shots this time).

So - two provisional dates for your diaries to avoid clashes...
  • Traditional Music Day, Stowmarket, Saturday 19th September 2020. Venue: The John Peel Arts Centre and adjacent church hall.
  • Melodeons and More type event at the end of March 2021 (back to its usual date slot).
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal