Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon storage and practice carts and dedicated practice spaces.  (Read 2802 times)

Blake

• Regular debater

Hello fellow squeezers!
I have a small herd of boxes at present: a Benny G/C, Mory D/G, and a Morse baritone English Concertina. Before practice I generally have a routine of gathering instruments, music, a stand, pencils, computer to access reference vids, etc. Then after practice, I have to put all that away. I'm thinking of building something akin to an A-V car for all my squeezers and accoutrements for easy practice set up and wrap up.

I'd love to see pictures of any such carts or dedicated practice areas you folks have to consider in my design.

Thanks!
Blake
Castagnari Benny GC#, Mory DG#, Geordy GC, Mignon C
Cajun Custom in C by L'Anse Grise
Hohner Pokerwork GC and DG
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Melodeon storage and practice carts and dedicated practice spaces.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »

I have a piano room. But I have to move from there if my kids are playing the piano. Then I have to move from the kitchen if one of them is in there. I think I need a shed. I like keeping the instruments out though. On the piano usually. I keep my bike in the living room too. I'm lucky to get away with it.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 03:33:00 PM »

I have a piano room. But I have to move from there if my kids are playing the piano. Then I have to move from the kitchen if one of them is in there. I think I need a shed. I like keeping the instruments out though. On the piano usually. I keep my bike in the living room too. I'm lucky to get away with it.
This post is delightful. Sounds like a happy musical, fit family.  I do have a wonderful shed for such things (image attached, but my adult son took it over as his  crash pad. Always happy he comes by. :)
Morse Baritone English Concertina, and some busted up Wheatstone trebles I need to work over.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 04:10:22 PM »

I absolutely agree about having instruments ready to pick up and play around the house.Only trouble is,when you've got 13 or 14 of 'em they do start to get in the way...........

Mine - the ones in playing order - live on a couple of shelves.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

playandteach

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 07:50:09 PM »

I do have a wonderful shed for such things (image attached, but my adult son took it over as his  crash pad. Always happy he comes by. :)
Now I have shed envy. Fortunately we don't really have the space in our garden. We do have a bike shed, but it's full of bikes, hence my best bike being indoors. We do have a ceiling mounted washing rack in our house with very tall ceilings. Perhaps I could add another for melodeons.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »

Mental predictive text read ceiling mounted washing machine. I then reread............

Blake

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:40:53 PM »

Now I have shed envy.

I actually lived in that 9x11 off-grid shed with a melodeon, a concertina and three large dogs for 18 months. Saved a boat-load of cash to build a real house, and learned that even with less than 100 sq.ft of living space, a melodeon is still essential gear.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 09:29:44 PM »

I’ve got five chickens living in about 100 square ft  32 sq.ft. In the coop and 64 sq.ft. In the run.
There happy enough:)

A customer of mine gave me this chest / toy box  ;) that I’ve been using to hide a few.
Really it isn’t quite big enough to fit them standing upright.
Doubles as a place to sit.
My boxes are usually in the living room tucked next to the couch, within reach.

Edit: not a cart though!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 09:33:44 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 09:41:58 PM »

"A customer of mine gave me this chest / toy box  ;) that I’ve been using to hide a few.
Really it isn’t quite big enough to fit them standing upright."

I was horrified to read the above, until I saw the picture and realised that you were talking melodeons, and NOT chickens!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 10:21:22 PM »

"A customer of mine gave me this chest / toy box  ;) that I’ve been using to hide a few.

I was horrified to read the above, until I saw the picture and realised that you were talking melodeons, and NOT chickens!
On the other hand I quite like the idea of free range melodeons.
On the actual storage front, my daughter has an Ikea Kallax 4 hole unit on castors. The holes are only 13 inches square, but I have something similar made out of oak. It's really simple for any carpenter to make. Mine has mitred corners, but butt joints are dead easy if you get oak boards cut to size. Not that cheap of course, but you could make it out of a cheaper wood.

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 10:52:39 PM »

" You could make it out of cheaper wood"  The  storage chest for my melodeons, used when I am out of the house, is made from 22mm MDF top and sides  and 44 mm bottom that doubles up as a bench seat and will give the instruments a slightly longer survival time in the event of a fire.

playandteach

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 11:28:42 PM »

A: do you really put your instruments away every time you're out?
B: I like the idea of a fire in some circumstances - wicked witch of the ozwzrd 'I'm melting, I'm melting' (inside joke I'm afraid, not to mention bad taste and misquoting water for fire).

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 11:40:26 PM »

I'm always surprised when people say "in the event of a fire" or something along those lines. Do they really expect to have a fire in their house? I don't, so I tend to keep at least one melodeon out and ready to squeeze.
I'm still addicted to 1 rows, and keep my current favourite on the floor, right next to where I sit. As I'm not allowed to play it in earshot of my carer (!), it's ready to pick up as I make my way to the lav! (It's the furthest away from the rest of the house, and also the furthest from neighbours living or bedrooms.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2019, 01:54:40 AM »

Not to worry Winston, my chickens don’t live in the chest!! They have an 8’x16’ shed with 8’x8’ loft and the attached run. The run could be bigger, free range would be great.....but they be lunch in no time.
 (:)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2019, 07:29:03 PM »

I was discussing melodeon organisation with another sufferer who told me that IKEA sell a range of bookcases which are commonly used for this purpose.  I think the range in question is called Billy.  I don’t know.  But it would be fairly simple to pitch up at IKEA with a representative instrument and try their products for size.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 07:46:21 PM »

I use  Ikea Lack. 
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

ChrisP

• Respected Sage
  • West Yorkshire, UK
    • Chris Partington
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 11:00:02 PM »

I use  Ikea Lack.
Lack for melodeons, eh? Sounds like a case of MAD.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2019, 07:28:52 AM »

Mine live in an IKEA bookshelf, I can't remember which type.
My 'go-to' one never quite gets put away so lives on a coffee table for a quick grab on way to conservatory.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »

Melodeon's like (& fit) Billy bookshelves. That is until the books take over. Then they sit on top of the shelf frame.

Phil B

• Regular debater
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »

Question from Playteach  A: do you really put your instruments away every time you're out? "  Yes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal