Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon Foundations Weekend  (Read 1221 times)

RF Music

• RF Music
Melodeon Foundations Weekend
« on: June 23, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »

Hi everyone, I wanted to sound out the melodeon community to gather some opinions.

I've been chatting with one of my friends about running a melodeon weekend somewhere in the South East, probably in Surrey. He mentioned there's not much very local to him so he has to drive quite a way to go to any of the melodeon weekends. I'm looking at doing a weekend for ideally about 10 people, looking at things like cross-rowing, bass accompaniment, using the higher octave and playing in an unusual key. It's aimed at slow but thorough learning to give you the foundations to move on to explore what this crazy instrument can do, challenge your playing and learn new techniques in a safe and non-judgemental environment. It won't be suitable for absolute beginners and more advanced players may find the pace of learning a little slow. It's not intended to be a rip-off of the melodeon playgroup - we'll be working together in one group not split into ability streams.

I'm planning on the weekend being residential with us cooking and doing the washing up together, everyone pitching in, so the price will include all the meals and accomodation Cost will probably be in the region of about £100-£120 for Friday evening - Sunday morning.

Does that sound like it would be of interest / use to any locals in the South East? I haven't booked anything yet, but if there's enough serious interest I'll see what we can do. I'd plan to host the weekend out of the morris / festival season and at a time that doesn't clash with any of the other major events.

I've included a brief outline plan for the weekend if you'd like a bit more of an idea of what we'd be looking at.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks!

Andy
Saltarelle Berry (D/G), Saltarelle Laurentides (C#/D/G)

Nigel

• Respected Sage
Re: Melodeon Foundations Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 01:39:22 PM »

Nick F briefed me last weekend. It's a yes from me. I'll PM you, Andy.

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 01:54:15 PM »

Well, as you might expect, I'm very much up for this :)
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 03:31:36 PM »

"It's a yes from me."

Hehe, Nigel; "Have box, will travel"! (For those of us old enough to remember the TV series.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

RF Music

• RF Music
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »

Great stuff, thanks! It seems we have a little bit of interest so far (four people have messaged / replied which was more than I was expecting really!). I'll see what I can do to get this off the ground.

Cheers!

Andy

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

Great stuff, thanks! It seems we have a little bit of interest so far (four people have messaged / replied which was more than I was expecting really!). I'll see what I can do to get this off the ground.

Good for you!
Not sure if you have any dates in mind but perhaps you need to be aware of possible clashes or nearby dates. There can be a lot going on in the meolodeon world. These are some of the ones I know about:

Orginal Playgroup near Evesham: mid-February
Border Box in Oswestry: last weekend in February
Melodeons in Wensleydale: last weekend in April
June - early September: Festival season and frequent dance-outs for morris musicians
Derbyshire playgroup: mid-October
East Anglian Traditional Music Trust melodeon and concertina event: mid-October (may revert to end of March in future years)
Witney Supersqueeze: mid-November 

We need a melnet anti-clash diary!

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »

Good for you!
Not sure if you have any dates in mind but perhaps you need to be aware of possible clashes or nearby dates. There can be a lot going on in the meolodeon world. These are some of the ones I know about:

June - early September: Festival season and frequent dance-outs for morris musicians
East Anglian Traditional Music Trust melodeon and concertina event: mid-October (may revert to end of March in future years)

And for those who are int the US:
The annual Squeeze in: September 20-21, Western Massachusetts.

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »

Excuse me saying but I notice that there is already a Calendar heading, but it doesn’t seem to be used that often. Perhaps use of this might help?
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

RF Music

• RF Music
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 07:09:54 PM »

Good for you!

Thanks for that Steve,

It's really useful to have the dates of the major events all in one place so I can avoid double-booking! Times very much depend on accommodation and what other stuff is happening at the time. Clashing with other events is always a worry, and I'm trying to be super-sensitive about treading on anyone's toes! The format of what I'm trying to do should avoid that though!

Thanks for the good wishes too!

Cheers,

Andy

RF Music

• RF Music
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 07:12:25 PM »

Excuse me saying but I notice that there is already a Calendar heading, but it doesn’t seem to be used that often. Perhaps use of this might help?

Hi Dick,

Thanks for letting me know about that - I'll have a look at it!

Cheers,

Andy

Nigel

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 07:41:27 PM »

Please add to Steve's list, North East Melodeon PlayGroup/ Mels TOTB in June - exact weekend TBC soon. 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 07:48:54 PM »

The DGWeekend at Halsway Manor off Taunton/Minehead road ( just got home, fantastic weekend!) will be in early July next year.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Worldsend

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2019, 07:51:42 PM »

Yes please

Quite close to Hampshire!!

Early date appreciated to plan around work

Lesley H

• New Starter
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2019, 08:05:54 PM »

Yes, I’m interested too!  🙂
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal