News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sydney  (Read 1646 times)

tiny

Sydney
« on: June 26, 2019, 08:01:52 PM »

Hello,

I shall be in Sydney September 12th for five days. Then moving onto Brisbane for 2 days.  Any sessions  that would welcome and English melodeon player?  (:)  I shall not have an instrument but always good to listen and say Hello.

Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Sydney
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »

I have a friend who has played here, and he says they are a great mob. I would suggest you contact them and ask about sessions. Annandale is a Sydney suburb.

https://www.facebook.com/The.Loaded.Dog.Folk.Club/

Sir John

SJ

Another contact point     https://folkfednsw.org.au/
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:00:13 AM by John MacKenzie (Cugiok) »
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 10:57:39 AM »

hi Lizzy

September should be a good time to visit Oz, before the heat of summer really hits.
There are some Sydney sessions and dances listed at http://www.bushmusic.org.au and if you PM me closer to the date I might be able to lend you a D/G box to play. A lot of our 'bush music' tunes are of English origin and have mutated a bit over time. Same probably goes for the bush musicians too ... must be all the sunshine and lager. There's an energetic local morris side called 'Black Joak' who might enjoy some tunes with a visiting muso.

Brisbane has quite a few English players and there's a Friday Bayside Tunes Session at Frenchies Cafe in Wynnum, 142 Bayside Terrace. Every Friday from 7.30pm.

cheers, Ian

tiny

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:44 PM »

Thank you for the information. I leave England in three days.

The Brisbane Friday session would be my choice but of course I am not in Brisbane then.....smallest of sighs...

The Sydney session and links don't seem to be what I am looking for or fit into my itinerary.  Shame as I would have very much liked to have shared some music together.

I am in Melbourne for a short period of time but limited to a Tuesday night.

So I hope to hear the music in the distance or maybe on the streets.

Thanks again

Than

tiny

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »

I have just had  a memory thing...a long time ago I knew Tristram Glover ( he was a boy then) ....I think he is in Australia....hmmm burbling now.... Yes I know it is a big country  ;D

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 04:09:30 AM »

Don't know anyone named Tristam over here. He might've changed his name to fit in... Bruce maybe?😀

tiny

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 10:19:08 AM »

:D

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2019, 11:35:27 AM »

Tristan is a member of the Chipolatas, an amazing act!
Looking at their web page, they are in Oz and have dates around Perth in September. Check their website.
If you ever have an opportunity to watch the Chipolatas, you must. They are just so much fun to see, underlying an amazingly skillful bunch of people. Totally energizing!

Tiny, yes I remember Tristan as a member of Old Spot, an amazing dancer at 12 years old.
I caught up with him a few years back at Towersey when he was with the Chipolatas.
As ever theh are always touring....
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 10:22:08 PM »

Terry Jacob would be a good contact for english players in Brisbane. He's on facebook and twitter but I don't have his phone number. I'll be playing at Yass when you're in Sydney, and other english players are very thin on the ground around here. Its a good time to be visiting Oz and I hope you enjoy your travels downunder. Cheers, Ian

ozbhoy

• She'll be right mate
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 02:55:14 AM »

Bayside Bush Dance WYNNUM
3rd Saturday (21st Sept)
Terry Jacob performs with this group: Phone 07-3396-5846,
Wednesdays  Belswagger Morris practice Red Hill Community bowls Club 6.30-8.00pm Contact Kevan 0413-856-785
Wednesdays Ragged Band Morris practice Harry Oakman Pavilion roma street Parklands 6.30-8:30pm Contact: Graham White 0413-115-248 All information in The Folk Rag Brisbane. If you need a DG Melodeon I can lend you a Lilly or a Tommy if you ant to play  8)

She'll be right mate

Hohner Erica G/C: Castagnari Lilly D/G: Castagnari Tommy D/G: Busilacchio G/C: 1 Row 4 Bass (Hohner 1040) G:

tiny

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 07:40:55 AM »

Please excuse my general reply to you all, I have still not mastered the reply button!

Thrupenny bit  Ah yes The Chipolatas....I'll look out for them.....thanks for the memory prod...Yes Tristan was a talented young dancer with the fabulous Old Spot Morris.

Smiley.... I've just looked up YAZZ not far from Canberra where I shall be for a week but leave just before YAZZ starts....my timing is not working out for the music side of my visit!! Have a great time the festival looks great.

ozbhoy...Thanks for the helpful information and the offer of a loan of a box.  (:)

Lizzy

tiny

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »

I have had a great time in Australia . Although I didn't get to play or join in any sessions I did have the most amazing time. And I did see a very old one row on show in a long time old house...a bit like our National Trust? Photo to follow if I can.

Thank you to all who gave information and suggestions much appreciated .

Beautiful country. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal