Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2019: Mazurka Des Ecoliers De Saint Genest  (Read 6741 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Hello all - this month's tune is...

Mazurka Des Ecoliers De Saint Genest (to give it it's full title) - Here's a nice 'straight' version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SsHrdytq0 of this wonderful tune by Gilles Chabanat. I think I missed the link off the poll, so to show what can be done with a crazy amount of talent, Cyrille Brotto's version goes a little like this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHq3GcWjY3s

Be interesting to see what people come up with on this one; I think the versions I'm seen on youtube are typically played on G/C, but in E minor. Using a similar fingering system on a D/G would put you in B minor, but I think it should probably play in Em on a D/G fairly simply too. Off to give it a go...

ABC and music notation for a few different versions can be found on The Session, here: https://thesession.org/tunes/7854 along with a very, very dull discussion as to whether it's in 3/4 or 9/8. Personally, I think 9/8 rather better describes the tertiary nature of the tune (3 sub beats to each beat if that makes any sense) but there you go!

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

The more observant amongst you will have noticed it's not July 1st yet. Oops! Calendar and brain malfunction - never mind; off we go!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Had a quick go in Em on a D/G... it fitted way better than I expected. Much easier than the Bm fingering...

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.

Apart from the astonishing playing of Brotto, and what a great sounding box too (this video was an inspiration to play - I noticed I commented on the video 4 years ago) - his version has a different ending to both sections - in E minor the chords and melody in the session.org versions both end with a D chord for the turnaround (perhaps being a substitution for B minor not available on a GC box). Brotto just plays the melody and chord to end on Em for both sections. That's probably what I'll end up doing as that is the version I first heard. I'm already working on it, but have a cut on the tip of my RH first finger which is a right pain. Nothing wrong with the version that repeats after a D chord - it leaves it hanging in a nice way, but I might go for the squarer version.
Seems like a good tune to practise right hand chords to.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

Can't belive I'm first on this...
https://youtu.be/8U6BIvlKYEE
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond

Franglais I'm afraid, but fun to try. Once through melody on a one row in F, then a couple of times each on a G/C and a D/G.

https://youtu.be/8y78kgk0qtk

All the best

Bill

playandteach

Thought I'd do a quick take with some ideas I may develop over time. Not the finished article, hopefully.
Also - watch volume levels - recorded very close to the camera as there's a tent in our living room, and can't edit the volume - lastly, piano is playing in background, but didn't want to stop my son playing...
An early post means that I can listen to others (I try to avoid this until I've decided how to play it etc. and also because if the thread is full of good versions I find it hard to take the risk.
Here it is.
Comments disabled. Linked only to this forum.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=un3pYiL-0j4

Here is my version, warts, fluffs, clanks and all. Salty is definitely due for a service !
Pretty straight, as I've played it for quite some while.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music

Thought I'd do a quick take with some ideas I may develop over time. Not the finished article, hopefully.
Here it is.
Comments disabled. Linked only to this forum.

After your earlier comment about possibilities for RH harmony, I wondered what you had in mind.
Those chromatic RH runs are great (and very French!)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=un3pYiL-0j4

Here is my version, warts, fluffs, clanks and all. Salty is definitely due for a service !
Pretty straight, as I've played it for quite some while.

Julian

Great rendition. It shows that you have played it for quite some time already. Not much to improve here but if I may comment on the rhythm, I'd say that you could try to focus more on the two and three in each beat. That would give it a bit of a "lighter" tone and the melody can shine even brighter.

Here it is.

Oh I love those runs down the scale that you did with your right hand. Will definitely look into incorporating these in my own playing of the tune.

Franglais I'm afraid, but fun to try. Once through melody on a one row in F, then a couple of times each on a G/C and a D/G.

https://youtu.be/8y78kgk0qtk

All the best

Bill

The version on the G/C pokerwork seems interesting to me. What exactly did you modify to have the tune sound like that? It gets a bit of a major feel to it (instead of the minor feel it definitely has in most renditions I've heard so far).

Oh, and here's my version:

Two versions of this tune (bundled in a Soundcloud playlist), both played a bit differently.
I couldn't decide which one I liked more so I opted for option C and uploaded both.
Take 2 is a bit faster and guides you through the melody.
Take 3 is a bit slower and takes its time to breath.

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/sets/mazurka-des-ecoliers-de-saint-genest

playandteach

Re: Tune of the Month for July 2019: Mazurka Des Ecoliers De Saint Genest
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2019, 04:23:45 PM »

Looks like FolkBluesBeyond's GC version is in C major, and F major for section B, rather than the A minor and D minor that you might expect for that melody. It definitely gives it a different feel.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 08:24:47 PM »

Looks like FolkBluesBeyond's GC version is in C major, and F major for section B, rather than the A minor and D minor that you might expect for that melody. It definitely gives it a different feel.

Yes, exactly what I thought but wasn't quite sure (and was too lazy to test it out). Thanks for confirming, will definitely have to relearn it in a major key and re-record it to give a third impression on how to play the tune. (:)

playandteach

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 10:41:09 PM »

To be honest, I just had a quick look at his left hand. A bit like the bit in Indianna Jones when he shoots the guy with the sword, sometimes the easy option is just too easy to overlook.

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 10:03:01 PM »

Hi all - here's my take on this, played as is my way at the moment, on a Bb/Eb Hohner Preciosa.

https://youtu.be/GIFJcbQn-8A

I'm using "E minor" fingering, rather than the "B minor", so I end up playing in C minor here.

I seem to have forgotten how to play french-style mazurkas properly - they come out a bit lumpy, so I'm *trying* to put a bit of feel into it, but to be honest, I think I've got a long, long way to go. Actually, now I think about it, I think the issue may be more that the style of bal mazurka has changed since I first started playing French music - when I was learning, bands like La Chavannee ruled supreme, but then bands like Naragonia et al came along and changed the game with a rather more laid back style. Still haven't fully got my head around it, but am trying :-)

Cheers,

Clive

Ransom

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »

https://youtu.be/MmiGUSaQE8g

I was sure this one would take me the whole month again, as these have tended to do. But something passable fell together with surprising promptness.

playandteach

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 05:12:21 PM »

Nicely done. Very secure, and the box sounds lovely too.

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:01 PM »

I'm really enjoying this lot of contributions. Thanks to everyone who's posted.
I don't really have any recording facilities apart from my phone, but if I get a chance I'll have go at his.
I played solo last night and realised just how badly my newly found stage fright affects me these days. Having the opportunity of a retake is such a calming factor.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

playandteach

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 11:05:31 PM »

I've found solace in uploading recordings that are deliberately less than perfect as it takes away the stress. I don't mean that I mess up on purpose, but rather just say it is work in progress and not edit at all.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:31 PM »

I'm really enjoying this lot of contributions. Thanks to everyone who's posted.
I don't really have any recording facilities apart from my phone, but if I get a chance I'll have go at his.
I played solo last night and realised just how badly my newly found stage fright affects me these days. Having the opportunity of a retake is such a calming factor.

Recording yourself is, for me, a very ... unsettling thing to do. I am always surprised at the differenc e between the way I think I sound and the way I really sound. It can be very humbling but it is, in the end, very worth while. The feedback you give yourself really does improve your playing. The think is, as P&T says, don't go for perfect. Go for a recording that expresses what you're trying to do. We all know what happens as soon as we turn the recorder on.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Grape Ape

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2019, 08:47:35 PM »

Could not agree more with the last two posts.  That said, I decided to have a go. It’s been a while since I posted a video to youtube, something I usually only do when I have had a few as was the case last night.  It’s far from perfect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KnpJyfnVHGY
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal