Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2019: Mazurka Des Ecoliers De Saint Genest  (Read 6743 times)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2019: Mazurka Des Ecoliers De Saint Genest
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2019, 10:29:38 PM »

I've found solace in uploading recordings that are deliberately less than perfect as it takes away the stress. I don't mean that I mess up on purpose, but rather just say it is work in progress and not edit at all.
Aye, I can only suffer through so many takes.
Also, on the (un)fortunate event that anyone watching my videos will meet me in person, they will have low expectations which I should be able to exceed.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:47:30 PM by Eshed »
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2019, 11:18:44 PM »

"anyone watching my videos will meet me in person, they will have low expectations which I should be able to exceed."

I wish I could say that!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2019, 11:52:21 PM »

That said, I decided to have a go. It’s been a while since I posted a video to youtube, something I usually only do when I have had a few as was the case last night.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KnpJyfnVHGY
That cheered me up. Great sounding box too of course. Maybe we should have a Theme of the Month when we have to record after taking some Dutch courage. I also liked that you added an intro and outro. Thanks for sharing.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Grape Ape

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 02:33:40 AM »

Thanks Play and Teach! Of course it sounded better the night of, but I think with some work on the timing and the basses (which of course go hand in hand) that I could take this one somewhere...

Grape Ape

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 02:39:54 AM »

The box by the way was purchased some years ago second hand at a good price and I am only know beginning to come to terms with it.  It is a lovely sounding HIGHLY responsive box- it can be unforgiving in its precision.

Also a “Dutch courage” theme of the month may end up eliciting 100s of videos from myself and those who like me enjoy a glass or two....

Could crash melnet as I sense I am not alone!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »

That said, I decided to have a go. It’s been a while since I posted a video to youtube, something I usually only do when I have had a few as was the case last night.

Very nice. Lovely sounding box, if frighteningly complex looking.
Your setting is utterley different to the way mine is working out.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

playandteach

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 05:25:22 PM »

It is a lovely sounding HIGHLY responsive box- it can be unforgiving in its precision.

Also a “Dutch courage” theme of the month may end up eliciting 100s of videos from myself and those who like me enjoy a glass or two....

Could crash melnet as I sense I am not alone!
That precision is exactly what I want. Apart from anything else you can't improve without feedback, and responsiveness is great feedback.
I'm going to take a week off the wine, but after that I'll raise a glass to you.

JimC

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »

Here's a version played in Dm on Sandpiper Curlew C/F. I was lucky enough to hear played by Gilles Chabenat when his trio 'Tondo'
visited the Les Batons French dance club in Hollingbourne, Kent earlier this year- was great to dance to!

https://youtu.be/cQ4YB7lwFhI

Grape Ape

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2019, 04:33:03 PM »

[/quote]

Not at all complex: the box has two reeds octave tuned with switches to engage or disengage each reed. It is amazingly light weight.  Not sure what you mean by “setting?”

Grape Ape

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 04:36:18 PM »

P&T, I am not sure I have received any feedback on my attempt other than the brutal honesty of my own recording which tells me I begin the song off tempo and that I should lighten up on the basses...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2019, 04:59:09 PM »

Not at all complex: the box has two reeds octave tuned with switches to engage or disengage each reed. It is amazingly light weight.  Not sure what you mean by “setting?”
[/quote]

Complex = what a lot buttons you have! Bass and treble. I've never tried anything bigger than a 2.4 12 bass.
Setting = (more or less) the way you're playing it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Grape Ape

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2019, 05:23:04 PM »

Not much different than a two and a half row.  The extra basses are reversals great for drone effects, the full row as opposed to a half row just provides a few extra accidentals. With the lightness of the box I don’t think it would seem overly complex once it was in your hands.

playandteach

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2019, 11:26:47 PM »

P&T, I am not sure I have received any feedback on my attempt other than the brutal honesty of my own recording which tells me I begin the song off tempo and that I should lighten up on the basses...
I mean feedback from the instrument. If you are finding it revealing, then it's doing everything you ask of it, and any bumps and slumps are player related. I think it's worse to have an instrument that responds with varying sensitivity. For example at modest air volumes my left hand chord notes don't always speak together, so I have to wait a bit or play louder.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2019, 12:50:58 AM »

... For example at modest air volumes my left hand chord notes don't always speak together, so I have to wait a bit or play louder.
It could be that some of the valves are a bit curled so that some air is being used to close the valve before the reed speaks. But otherwise this is normally an indication that the reed tip gaps need adjusting. It should be possible to adjust the gap so that all the reeds speak together even under relatively low bellows pressure. Ask your friendly local box fettler to do this for you  ;)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Grape Ape

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2019, 04:43:55 AM »

It was Saturday night, and I was feelin’ alright, so I decided to have another go...
This time on the low reed and only one take....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B618WqOp9OY&persist_app=1&app=m

playandteach

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:40 AM »

It was Saturday night, and I was feelin’ alright, so I decided to have another go...

Very similar post which backs up why I feel that we shouldn't arrive to get the very best mistake free version. We are who we are and the difference between a straight forward version and our Sunday best is minimal.
I would suggest playing a straight oom pah pah version to check on some bars e.g. bar 2 of the phrase which has 4 beats in it occasionally. Hope that's ok to pass on.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 10:48:50 AM »

Nice playing, was an enjoyable watch. Your timing is a bit off here and there (could also call it free time signature but eh...), so maybe that's something you could work on.
Same suggestion as P&T's comes to mind: play a simple oom pah pah rhythm with your left hand and try not to go off time as often. Or use a metronome to train you to stay in time a bit more often.

On a sidenote: I dislike having to clear my browser cache every time I click on mobile youtube links (because youtube sets a cookie for clicking on a mobile link and then directs you to the mobile page every time). If somehow possible, please post desktop websites and no more mobile links. Thank you very much. :)

Grape Ape

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2019, 03:14:35 PM »

Thanks for the feedback Fred and P&T. I appreciate it. I definitely know what you mean about the extra beat being thrown in... for some reason I really like to drag that note out and while I have fixed it while playing I always seem to return to the same mistake. I have found P&T’s remarks about not worrying about perfection to be somewhat liberating in posting videos.

Fred I am not a techy guy so I have no idea what you’re talking about in terms of browsers....

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2019, 05:42:25 PM »

Fred I am not a techy guy so I have no idea what you’re talking about in terms of browsers....

The links you post are in the format of "m.youtube.com" and that's the mobile website of youtube.
It would be better to use the normal website format "www.youtube.com" for desktop browsers.

Grape Ape

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2019, 06:06:01 PM »

Got it. The real question is why the video I posted for theme of the month keeps starting a few seconds into the tune rather than at the beginning of the video....
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal