Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned  (Read 18604 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Re: Theme for the Month for July 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 11:47:48 PM »

Mine was written for piano accordion, but is partly playable on DG, and more so with some fiddling - thinking of trying the opening as a mainly right hand intro (to get the chords right). When the tune came out in the early 80s it was the first time I could agree with my brother (he also liked Peaches, which I couldn't get, and Monty Python, which I was just a bit too young to understand - I was more of a Goodies boy).
I think it's right up there with Here comes the Sun.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 01:07:49 AM »

It's a fabulous tune. A long time favourite. Never would have have occurred to me to play it on a melodeon but Sebastian's setting just seems to drop into place on the CF.

DG players start here

X:181
T:Golden Brown
M:3/4
L:1/4
Q:1/4=188
K:Emin
"Em" e3/2b/2z/2e/2 | "Bm" B3/2f/2z/2B/2 |1 "C" c3/2g/2z/2c/2 | [M:4/4] "G" bagf :|2 "D" d3/2a/2z/2d/2 | [M:4/4] "C" cBAG !coda! ||
|: [M:3/4] "Am" A>c z/2e/2 | "G" dBG | "Am" A>c z/2e/2 | "G" dBG |
"Am" Aae | "G" d3 | "Am" cde | "G" d3 | "Am" zae | "G" d3 | "Am" cde | "G" dB2 |
"Am" ABc | "G" B3 | "Am" ABc | "G" B3 | "Am" ABc | "G" B3 | "Am" BAE | "G" D3 !D.C.! :|
% "Gm" G>B z/2d/2 | "F" cAF | "Gm" G>B z/2d/2 | "F" cAF |
% "Gm" zB/A/B/A/ | "F" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "Gm" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "F" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "Gm" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "F" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "Gm" B/c/- c2 | "F" z3 |
% "Gm" zB/A/B/A/ | "F" B/A/B/A/B/A/ | "Gm" B/A/ G F/D/- | "F"  D/C/- C z | "Gm" z g/f/- f/d/ | "F" c B/A/- A | "Gm" z g/f/- f/d/ | "F" c B/A/- A !D.C.! ::
% "Gm" [Dd]3 | "F" [Ae]3 | "Gm" [Bf]3 | "F" [Cg]3 & baf | "Gm" [Dd]3 & c'ba | "F" [Ae]3 & a3 | "Gm" [Bf]3 | "F" [Ce]3 & fec |:
% "Gm" [Dd]3 & gfg | "F" [Ae]3 | "Gm" [Bf]3 | "F" [Cg]3 & baf | "Gm" [Dd]3 & c'ba | "F" [Ae]3 & a3 | "Gm" [Bf]3 | "F" [Ce]3 & fec "^fade out" :|
|: !coda! "Am" [Ee]3 | "G" [Bf]3 | "Am" [cg]3 | "G" D3 & abg | "Am" [Ee]3 | "G" [Bf]3 | "Am" [cg]3 | "G" D3 & gfd "^fade out" :|
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Sebastian

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 09:47:32 AM »

Mine was written for piano accordion
Yes, I ran into the some kind of problems again.  ;D :-\ >:(

Well, it’s a song where you need two melodeon players side by side to play it adequately. :||: :|||: :-*

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 11:20:54 AM »

Lovely contributions both Greg and Sebastian! Thank you (:)
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2019, 11:10:16 PM »

I do hate being greedy, but I kind of have 2 submissions for this theme.

Firstly is my real submission for this month, a tune called "Metal Crusher", by Toby Fox. I've been wanting to learn this tune for a while now, but never really got around to learning it properly, so, I used this theme as a reason to do just that.

If you're unfamiliar with it, Metal Crusher is a tune from popular internet sensation slash video game "Undertale", and the normal instrumentation is via chip tune/synth. Additionally, it's a Phrygian Dominant tune, meaning that it is a mode of the harmonic minor scale. In this case, I've positioned the tune as B Phrygian Dominant (from E harmonic minor), due to the presence of the B major and the E minor chord, which are the only chords really found in the A part of the music. The scale is B C D# E F# G A B. This does however rely heavily on your D# being in the same direction as the B major chord, so, in my case, on the press. The B part of the music leans out, using the C chord and actually out of the scale to an F chord, which I unfortunately don't have but try to make do without.

In addition to leaning out of the scale in the chord department, it also uses a number of accidentals that I don't have, Bbs and Fs often right next to D#s, meaning I juggle which octave the tune is in and don't really play it all that properly in some places as a result. Some of these work just fine, others not as well. I'm only 98% up to speed on playing it, so I smoothed over a couple of little snafus during my playing, I'm sure you won't mind, darlings!

I'm very fond of this tune, and the game it's from, and am pleased to be able to play it at all. The difficult realisation that you simply can't play a lot of your favourite tunes from other genres on a diatonic instrument like this has been growing more concerning to me, but, I wouldn't be playing music at all otherwise.

My submission can be found here:
https://youtu.be/oYLd7UiY63U

Stop configuration:
3 voice: on
Low Bass Fundamental: on
Chord Thirds: on

The original version of the tune can be heard here: https://tobyfox.bandcamp.com/track/metal-crusher

Eagle eyed viewers may note that my 3 voice stop is now 'on' when positioned down, rather than up, as in previous videos - the action of the slide has now been turned around so that stops down = all on, which is my preference.

---------------------

Anyway, if that wasn't enough, I also have another submission:

This time last year, we had another theme, Musical Heroes. I also used that theme as a reason to finally learn a tune. However, it's uh, let's say it's really taken a while to learn the tune I'd wanted to, at least to play it as well as I've wanted. It's the tune I played to fall in love with the 3v Oakwood I own, and while I've played this tune out and about a few times, this is the first time I've really managed to record it (or, in fact, play it) with an acceptable 'miss' rate of only 1-2 notes, although with a little bit of rhythm wonk.

That tune is The Liberty Bell.

Speaking plainly, our forum's own Anahata is a huge inspiration to me, and I was particularly in awe of his playing in his submission for this tune, back when it was TotM. I knew some day I wanted to learn it, so, when the idea got into my head last July. I slowly creeped around the forum, reading about his arrangement and exactly how he approached playing the piece, while also slowly transcribing his performance. I found the same piano score that was shared in the TotM thread, eventually also as a musescore file, and used that as motivation and inspiration to further augment the arrangement where I could - a few extra chords in the A music to fake an E F# G, a bit of counter melody in the B, and really trying to fatten up that D music, and just really try to sound as much like a Calliope as possible. At the time of his recording, Anahata's Oakwood's accidentals directions were both the opposite of how they are in mine, so, I had to work out how I wanted to account for this, especially in the awkward D music. To be honest I think I mostly found the difference beneficial.

So anyway, while it's rather stretching the definition of 'just' learned to be 'just' performed, but really I'm thinking, just back date this one a year maybe.
My other submission, The Liberty Bell:
https://youtu.be/j27aV8uc5hU

When I finished recording that, I felt like I was just about ready to go fight something - quite the rush... And, naturally, everything is 'on'.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:18 PM »

Great stuff Gena. Especially Liberty Bell. Takes me back to my youth.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2019, 11:38:27 PM »

Fabulous rendition of Liberty Bell. I'd already been inspired/got some ideas from others when I did mine, but you've definitely raised the bar a bit higher with that one.
That 3 voice Oakwood sounds great on that tune too.
I think you're right about the accidentals too - but I couldn't face re-learning it since I reversed mine.
Just listened to the other one now - another fine example of a party piece pushing the instruments to its limits!
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Sebastian

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »

What Anahata said. I especially like the Metal Crusher! It’s 8) .

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »

What Anahata said. I especially like the Metal Crusher! It’s 8) .

Yes, Metal Crusher is stunning! My son came.across and said 'no way' when I was playing the video - huge Undertale fan :-) Well done Gena :-)

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2019, 05:47:20 PM »

Yes, Metal Crusher is stunning! My son came.across and said 'no way' when I was playing the video - huge Undertale fan :-) Well done Gena :-)

I would imagine a good majority of 2.5 row DG instruments should be able to swing the melody 'properly' in B phrygian dominant, D#s & Bbs in 2 octaves and an F or two would make a big difference, as then you can do the B music without as much octave juggling. It also helps to have access to F natural on the bass end (and an F# bass would help, too). Plus then you don't need such long fingers!

I have the tune in ABC, but since it is neither a trad or folk tune, probably best not to post it here - scores can be found online though. Instead, here is a small humour piece:

What is the best chord on a D/G melodeon?

B major [A]      30      [​B] B major

❤️

B major [C]              [D] B major

Fabulous rendition of Liberty Bell. I'd already been inspired/got some ideas from others when I did mine, but you've definitely raised the bar a bit higher with that one.
That 3 voice Oakwood sounds great on that tune too.

So, I mean, technically I have been kinda working on it for like, well, I started a year ago. I'm not sure if you recall describing your performance as a (non stony) stepping stone but when I found that post, it did encourage me to try and find some ways to incorporate more parts of what would be an ensemble brass band into it.

I'm a bit strapped for time, and I'm bad at words, but it means like, a whole lot to me to know that you like it and think what I was able to do is neat. Trying to 'rise to the challenge's that the piece (particularly combined with the arrangement you made for it) asks of you has for sure taken me a while, but it's made me a much better player - I still need to apply the lessons and knowledge more broadly across the rest of my playing.

Plus, I also have the ABC of my transcription + modifications for the arrangement I played, which I'm aiming to figure out sharing on the forum somewhere.

Plus, thank you all of the above + youtube people who've shared comments, I really appreciate them.

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »

I'd forgotten I said that, but on re-reading other things I posted at the time I see that it was thrown together in a hurry (though there was some very concentrated work for those few days) so obviously I thought it could be improved with practice.

Trying to 'rise to the challenge's that the piece... asks of you has for sure taken me a while, but it's made me a much better player

I hope you find so. I've had that experience with many ToTM - certainly out of my comfort zone, and hopefully improved my playing too.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2019, 06:32:19 PM »

My other submission, The Liberty Bell:
https://youtu.be/j27aV8uc5hU

When I finished recording that, I felt like I was just about ready to go fight something - quite the rush... And, naturally, everything is 'on'.
Absolutely bloody brilliant! Bravo, Well done indeed!  (:) :|glug
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page

Hi all, as you'll probably have guessed, I'm rolling this theme over into August. A few reasons, it's holiday season, some great tunes will be being taught at festival workshops and I'd really like to hear what's current, and it gives me the opportunity to pick one of the tunes played by someone last month and learn it for this month!

Cheers,

Clive

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2019, 01:34:51 PM »

Winders - 3/2 hornpipe taught by Leveret during their weekend workshop event at Halsway Manor this year. Perhaps I should play it more slowly ?
I plan to play it with 'If you will not have me...' - another great 3/2

https://youtu.be/SoDuqV0p1wE

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2019, 06:44:04 PM »

Gena has raised the bar higher than anything I can muster - as Steve said, bloody brilliant.  Well done.

Here's my little addition to the thread - Just As The Sun Was Setting, a lovely waltz recently learned for a step clog dance.  Not a tune I'd come across before but a friend found it in an ABC library.  I believe JK has recorded it but not sure if he wrote it as well.  Others will know more than me.

I've put it in Em rather than Am, but I think it still works:

https://youtu.be/pETlXWb6d_4

One of those tunes that benefits from having the D# on the push!  I know I did it for a reason.  N (:)
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2019, 08:29:47 PM »

Shreds & Patches was on the intray as a runner up in TotM, so why waste an interesting tune.  A couple of skeletal versions which leave space for development if it turns up again.

https://youtu.be/ssckPTZ1RKA

All the best

Bill

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2019, 08:42:14 PM »

Here's my little addition to the thread - Just As The Sun Was Setting, a lovely waltz recently learned for a step clog dance.  Not a tune I'd come across before but a friend found it in an ABC library.  I believe JK has recorded it but not sure if he wrote it as well.  Others will know more than me.

Yes, I'm pretty sure he is credited as the composer, and it's on his album "Going Spare".
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2019, 09:41:16 PM »

Loved 'Liberty Bell' as well - great playing Gena !
Strikes me that I might have to try to learn it... ::)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2019, 10:54:36 PM »

Just As The Sun Was Setting, a lovely waltz recently learned for a step clog dance.  Not a tune I'd come across before but a friend found it in an ABC library.  I believe JK has recorded it but not sure if he wrote it as well.

He did - I've just found it in my copy of the Opus Pocus book (I thought it sounded familiar!) and definitely by JK and copyright EFDS Publications (it sez 'ere.) Nice tune; I like the way it sounds so chromatic in the B music even though it only uses one accidental.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2019, 10:25:30 AM »

Winders - 3/2 hornpipe taught by Leveret during their weekend workshop event at Halsway Manor this year. Perhaps I should play it more slowly?
I plan to play it with 'If you will not have me...' - another great 3/2
https://youtu.be/SoDuqV0p1wE
Julian

What was the name of the tune Julian?
Hugh
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal