Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned  (Read 18603 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Re: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »

Hugh - Re the 3/2  - Leveret just called it 'Winders' - from the Edward Winder ms I believe. I have found a version online but it's lost on my desk somewhere...

Julian

Old Bones Dance Band

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2019, 12:12:52 PM »

Thanks Julian, I've now found it in Andy Hornby's book.
I like playing 3/2 hornpipes: they really drive along. I enjoyed your playing, presumably your arrangement was influenced by Leveret?
John Offord in his John of the Green book talks about 'tune families' and this tune seems to belong to the family that includes Bobbing Joan, Pawkie Adam Glen, Old Age and Young, and Come ye oer frae France,
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Julian S

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2019, 12:47:46 PM »

I like playing 3/2 hornpipes: they really drive along. I enjoyed your playing, presumably your arrangement was influenced by Leveret?
John Offord in his John of the Green book talks about 'tune families' and this tune seems to belong to the family that includes Bobbing Joan, Pawkie Adam Glen, Old Age and Young, and Come ye oer frae France,

Yes - definitely influenced by Leveret. I really love their approach to ensemble playing.
3/2s are great ! A lot of them do sound similar - I find it quite difficult to remember which I'm playing sometimes. Tune variations gradually became new tunes I suppose.
I note John Offord has a chapter on using them for dances - something I must think about.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2019, 08:01:08 PM »

Julian, would you be willing to share La Source version, ideally with chord suggestions? I'd love to have a go too. Always loved their playing.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2019, 08:03:35 AM »

Here you go - freshly learnt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDSXQbqMsuc

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2019, 08:13:25 AM »

Ohhh that's nice Martin, I  like that!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2019, 05:14:23 PM »

Firstly is my real submission for this month, a tune called "Metal Crusher", by Toby Fox. I've been wanting to learn this tune for a while now, but never really got around to learning it properly, so, I used this theme as a reason to do just that.

My submission can be found here:
https://youtu.be/oYLd7UiY63U

BOOM! That hits the spot for me. Lovely rendition. Care to share your abc with us/me? Thanks!

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2019, 10:01:59 PM »

I like playing 3/2 hornpipes: ... Come ye oer frae France,

I never noticed Come ye was a 3/2 hornpipe. Holy Smoke! Was probably confused by its connection to Rocky Road to Dublin.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2019, 06:28:21 AM »

BOOM! That hits the spot for me. Lovely rendition. Care to share your abc with us/me? Thanks!

Hi Fred, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I normally would include ABC for anything fancy I do, but since Metal Crusher's a modern composition & not a folk tune, I think it's probably a bad idea to post it on the site directly. However, I can point you in the right direction!

I dug up this piano arrangement a fan made: https://musescore.com/jestermusician/undertale_metalcrusher loaded up in musescore and after recognising the mode, transposed it to B phrygian dominant, rather than Eb phrygian dominant the score is written in - the score is written with 7 flats, which is of course the wonderful key of... C flat!? But, we're here for the relative minor of this, Ab minor, of which Eb is the 5th scale degree, with phrygian dominant being built from the 5th scale degree thus it all makes all of the sense. Transpose to G major/E minor or up by +8 and you'll get approximately what I'm playing - I had to play around with shifting up/down by an octave in the B music to make it fit the accidentals I have. After the transposition, I noted that the arpeggios in the B music described the chords of C, B, F and G, and these make up the majority of accompaniment for that part of the tune. When I'm not just playing basses, it's because I don't have an F chord, which should make it pretty easy to figure out where to put it, if you do have one.

If you'd like to have a go at playing it, depending on your box, first figure out if you can play in a Harmonic Minor - eg we have B major on a DG melodeon for playing in E harmonic minor, but the viability of that depends on your D# accidental. You may be able to make other harmonic minor scales though, if you have a 2.5/12 system. Having a half row will help if you don't have long gangly fingers like me, too.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »

Not an expert, but I would have thought that posting ABC for a transcription you made yourself would not infringe any copyright rules.

For example, The Leeds Town Library would not allow Nick Barber to photocopy James Biggins' Book (source of gems like the Tumblers Hornpipe), but he was allowed to bring in a sheaf of manuscript paper and copy them by hand.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

penn

« Reply #70 on: August 07, 2019, 10:38:41 PM »

It's just as well Clive extended the month as it's taken me quite a long time to get it to even an acceptable level.
From Playford this is 'Bloomsbury Market', I first came across this on the wonderful recent Topette!! album.
https://youtu.be/OMzxnhnMdxs
Gren

Kon

• Regular debater
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »

I am the opposite of an expert on English folk tunes, so this is an entirely unqualified opinion, but I really enjoyed that Gren! A lovely tune, I thought, and played melodiously. Thank you for sharing!
GC Erica

penn

« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2019, 10:35:02 PM »

Thanks Kon, your comments are much appreciated. I can’t say I’m much of an English expert either, but I’ve been enjoying the Toppette CD so much I had to learn to play at least one of the tunes. I really wanted to do Civet de Chevreuil from the same record, but couldn’t find any ABC or dots.
Gren

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2019, 06:13:34 PM »

I've learned this rather nice madrigal from Monteverdi (as you do), Si Dolce e il Tormento - it's quite a short piece when you break it down, like many song tunes are, and it is open to *large* amounts of improvisation for those with the inclination. I'm using one here (2nd and 4th time) but there's a lot more you can do, as the rather seminal recording on Mare Nostrum II by Paulo Fresu and all demonstrate. A rather pale imitation of that, but interesting to see how far I could take it on a single instrument with not a lot of practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GxhdahgHzM

Since recording of that went rather well (first go!) I took some time to 'polish' another idea I had, which was notably to rip off Greg's idea of doing 'The Wounded Huzzar' from last month (he, he!). Nice tune, here played in D - thanks Greg!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGPe8zAN04

Both played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G.

Peadar

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2019, 11:45:24 PM »

Maybe a bit of a brass neck to present  Amazing Grace  as "Tune I have just learnt" (learnt the fingering at least 3 months ago).....but having got to the top of Carn an t-Sagairt Mor (The mountain of the large priest) it had to be a hymn.

https://youtu.be/7IG8MlvPQVQ

The RAF lost a plane and 2 aircrew here in November 1956- the plane hit the mountain.Bits of it can still be found and some have been placed at he summit cairn...visible in the video.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:01 AM »

Winders - 3/2 hornpipe taught by Leveret during their weekend workshop event at Halsway Manor this year. Perhaps I should play it more slowly ?
I plan to play it with 'If you will not have me...' - another great 3/2
https://youtu.be/SoDuqV0p1wE
Julian

Just back from Sidmouth (taking 8 hours on Friday) and here is the abc for Julian's tune above.

X:1
T:Winders Hornpipe
S:Andy Hornby Winder book - Edward Winder
L:1/8
M:3/2
Z:Hugh Taylor, August 2019
K:C
A4 c4 e2 dc|d2 g2 g2 G2 BcdB|A4 c4 e2 dc|e2 a2 a2 A2 BcdB:|
|:A2 a2 a2 gf e2 dc|B2 g4 G2 BcdB|A2 a2 a2 gf e2 dc|e2 a2 a2 A2 BcdB:|
|:A2 c2 E2 A2 c4|d2 g4 G2 BcdB|A2 c2 E2 A2 c4|e2 a2 a2 A2 BcdB:|

Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Fred

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2019, 12:41:42 PM »

A tune I've just learned in the past 2 weeks and thus still a bit rough around the edges:

Tré Martelli - Mazurca dra vila

https://soundcloud.com/laubblaeser/mazurca-dra-vila-take-1

Pariselle workshop accordion in G/C
One medium voice
Two times through plus ending

Julian S

« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2019, 12:49:15 PM »

Great, Fred ! Another tune on my 'must learn' list. I heard Tre Martelli last winter in a concert in Italy - really regret not buying their cd.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Fred

« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2019, 01:08:38 PM »

Great, Fred ! Another tune on my 'must learn' list. I heard Tre Martelli last winter in a concert in Italy - really regret not buying their cd.

Julian

The A part is actually fairly easy - it's just a Pachelbel canon except for the last two bars or so. The B part is a bit more tricky to learn as it has this very long sequence on the pull (A chord in the original, D chord in my case). But it's great to learn some bellows control, so I'd say go for it!

P&T has uploaded a rough transcription of the tune on this forum some while ago. I'll just reattach it here (hope he doesn't mind) in case you can't find it.

Mark Leue

• Regular debater
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2019, 01:32:03 PM »

From where did this cool Mazurka originate? I always appreciate your clean and crisp playing!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal