Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned  (Read 18622 times)

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2019, 07:40:53 AM »

I recently heard a waltz called 'Flower of the Highlands' and it took my fancy. It was apparently composed by Ted Konig in 2010.

https://youtu.be/ivEN0-nPXCk
You conveyed well why it took your fancy, thank you!
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Ellisteph

« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2019, 11:48:08 AM »

After complaining about Irish tunes featuring on Sanditon, here's an Irish tune I've just learnt: Tom Bhetty's Waltz. I'm sure I can do more with the bases yet but here's where I am now:
https://youtu.be/_PNuFf244Ds

There's a time and place for everything.

Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #102 on: August 30, 2019, 11:38:29 PM »

So, my submission for August is a pair of tunes, The Old Morpeth Rant, and, The New Morpeth Rant. The latter was TOTM when I joined melnet in April 2017, and it's stuck with me as a tune I wanted to learn for quite some time as let's say it didn't fall right under my fingers from the start. I do still struggle a bit with mid/ring/pinky accuracy in the B music. I did learn it probably later that same year, though.

The Old Morpeth Rant, though, is a little bit DG Melodeon exclusionary - Seemingly often played in G, it covers a full 2 octaves G to G, meaning you're going right up the top of the squeaky end, or, playing parts of it on the bass end, or, as in my case, making use of your low G scale layout to get full coverage. It's been on my list of tunes to finally learn now that I have a low G scale instrument, so, again, what a good opportunity to learn a tune! I think I eventually found this arrangement on the Session or ABCNotation, there are a lot of versions of the tunes floating around, with the 'New' and 'Old' monikers perhaps being largely a convenient but inaccurate discriminator. The Hardcore English book by Barry Callaghan, (and readily obtainable from the EFDSS) contains a large number of variations of this tune - I own the book, but, my playing here isn't really influenced by it, or the performance on the associated CD, so far as I know anyway.

One of my favourite renditions of the Old Morpeth Rant is Aaron Horlock's Day 172 of his Tune A Day adventure, so far as I know, it's only on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaronhorlockmusic/videos/310406656155586/ but should be publicly visible. I first became aware of the two versions of the tune from the playing of Ellisteph who posted just before me in this thread in fact! He performed the pair when this was TOTM and was probably the main influence in me feeling like these were tunes I wanted to learn, as well as how I go about playing them. Thanks Ellisteph!

The Old and New Morpeth Rants
https://youtu.be/1Q0qtTmJzso

Stop configuration:
3 voice: on
Low Bass Fundamental: on
Chord Thirds: on
Laundry: removed

I have to say, there have really been some fantastic videos, performances, tunes, well, just everything really in this thread for these two months. I'm enjoyed taking part tremendously, and particularly listening to everyone's submissions and whether it's been people's passion projects, challenges, or just an idea of what they've been getting up to, really. It's been truly great!

Peadar

« Reply #103 on: August 31, 2019, 12:09:09 AM »

Oran a rinn Iain Seonaidh Dhomhnaill ícCumhais (Iain MacCumhais) mu 1920.

Chi mi 'n Tir 's an robh mi nam bhalach/
Tir nan Suinn, Leac a' Li nam shealladh/
 Chi mi'n tir 'san robh mi nam bhalach .                                 

Air an cluich air seann nos "British Chromatic Accordeon". Tha mi fhadhast ag ionnsachadh am port - cha do chuir mi comh-sheirme ris chun ire seo.

https://youtu.be/oKLYC_Kh05k

Learning the  tune is still a work in progress. Not sure that it needs basses .The verses (all 9 of them) are couplets with a one line refrain which repeats the phrase of the opening line.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:11:55 AM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #104 on: August 31, 2019, 12:30:40 AM »

Air an cluich air seann nos "British Chromatic Accordeon". Tha mi fhadhast ag ionnsachadh am port - cha do chuir mi comh-sheirme ris chun ire seo.

Learning the  tune is still a work in progress. Not sure that it needs basses .The verses (all 9 of them) are couplets with a one line refrain which repeats the phrase of the opening line.

That's a lovely little tune and your playing is coming along nicely. Did you learn the tune by ear?
Is that your recent purchase? If so, it was a good one. To my ear (not renowned for being the best), it would benefit from a tuner's attention, but it plays nicely. The reeds sound great and the tune comes through very clearly. I would play drones, where I could, others might not.

Does the title translate easily? Am I right in thinking that the lines that followed are the first verse.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #105 on: August 31, 2019, 02:16:25 AM »

Learning the  tune is still a work in progress.

Thanks for posting your video Peadar. I like the sound of old squeezeboxes like yours - an echo of music from many years ago.

(There had only been 6 views when I watched the video but someone had already marked it with a 'thumbs down')  ??? If that person is a member of melnet then could they please enlighten us about what motivated this negativity?

richard.fleming

« Reply #106 on: August 31, 2019, 07:46:19 AM »

We could do with a private channel. I thought it sounded pretty good for someone who hasn't been playing for a year yet,( I believe.)
But put it up against all the amazing musicians that are out there and, if you didn't know the context, you might make a different judgement.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2019, 08:17:56 AM »

You can mark any video you post as unlisted and post a link here. Then it's only reachable via here. Is that something like what you meant by private channel?
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

richard.fleming

« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2019, 08:50:04 AM »

You can mark any video you post as unlisted and post a link here. Then it's only reachable via here. Is that something like what you meant by private channel?
Ideal. Maybe there should be instructions on mel.net on how to do that, so that people would know how to submit their playing to a sympathetic audience on the forum and not expose themselves to all the idiots out  there. Maybe like the 'Please read this before posting' at the top of the Buy and Sell page.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:52:44 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »

Here's another I've just learnt (although it's taken me months!). The Harmonious Blacksmith (Handel) minus the far-too-complex-for-me variations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzz5yNYwpqk

Martin

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »

only months?.... Incredible to even consider doing that on a 2 row 8 bass.
Brilliant!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2019, 10:31:43 AM »

Wow. Loved Harmonious Blacksmith ! Must look out the dots - trying to learn it would be a great exercise.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »

Not being in any Festival, I took Greg's idea and worked on a (different) Leveret tune.
The Cherping of the Lark:
https://youtu.be/6no-34rfxlI

Originally from Playford, where it's in F major, Leveret plays a hauntingly beautiful version in Gm which I promptly transposed to Am.
I've been playing with (read: overusing) right hand harmonies to try and get the "dreamy hypnotic" effect as Greg put it. Dutch reversal has been very very useful there.
Some mistakes as usual and even a few bars dropped near the end, but only a single real bum note so I decided not to record another take.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 04:24:40 PM by Eshed »
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #113 on: August 31, 2019, 02:27:11 PM »

Ideal. Maybe there should be instructions on mel.net on how to do that, so that people would know how to submit their playing to a sympathetic audience on the forum and not expose themselves to all the idiots out  there. Maybe like the 'Please read this before posting' at the top of the Buy and Sell page.

Well, to 'be real' with you for a moment, as it were, I think that many of 'the idiots out there' are actually in here with us. Marking a video as unlisted changes little in terms of how visible it will be to joe public. Something ridiculous like for every minute that goes by, 500 hours of content is uploaded to youtube, and the likelihood of anyone's eyeballs actually being directed to any of our content by youtube's algorithm are, shall we say, low. Experience also shows it's no defence.

But, that's no reason not to give it a go, I suppose. If you would like to learn more on this subject, this youtube support page should be helpful, although the video doesn't directly show the new (beta) youtube studio layout. but once armed with the knowledge of what you're looking for, it is relatively straight forward on all platforms, and almost always presented as an option when uploading a video.

It's worthwhile to use Unlisted when you just want to share your video with a group, but not have it be part of 'your channel', eg, if someone watched another of your videos, would you want them to be directed without context to this one? If it's not something you want presented like that, unlisted is a pretty good choice, but sometimes it also means that, as a viewer, you'll come across someone whose videos you enjoy and want to watch, but, they shared all their content here on melnet as unlisted and it becomes very hard to follow along with what they've been doing.

I've been playing with (read: overusing) right hand harmonies to try and get the "dreamy hypnotic" effect as Greg put it. Dutch reversal has been very very useful there.

I enjoyed this a lot, and glad I'm not alone on the right hand harmony train - although I think you're doing a lot better at/more with it than I am though. The box that seemed to vex you in times past seems so well behaved, a large amount of which I suspect is down to its owner. Nicely played.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 02:30:00 PM by Gena Crisman »

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #114 on: August 31, 2019, 06:32:30 PM »

I posted a video some weeks ago and noticed that before I even let anyone know it was there, it had 3 down thumbs, but it only had 2 views. Something is wrong in YouTubeLand. I'm not sure how anyone could have viewed it, let alone two people, let alone two people who would downthumb it three times.

Later: and now I go back and it's down to two downthumbs. Go figure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:35:14 PM by Gary Chapin »
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »

I posted a video some weeks ago and noticed that before I even let anyone know it was there, it had 3 down thumbs, but it only had 2 views. Something is wrong in YouTubeLand. I'm not sure how anyone could have viewed it, let alone two people, let alone two people who would downthumb it three times.

Later: and now I go back and it's down to two downthumbs. Go figure.

The moral is just ignore them. They're very unlikely to be real.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2019, 07:03:15 PM »

The moral is just ignore them. They're very unlikely to be real.

Preach.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Eshed

• Respected Sage
« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »

Regarding the dislike plague, my solution has been to just be very liberal with my likes, hoping to offset the numbers a little bit back to the green.
If someone practiced, recorded, uploaded and have been brave enough to put themselves in front of the world, they damn well deserve that silly little thumbs up and probably a lot more.

I enjoyed this a lot, and glad I'm not alone on the right hand harmony train - although I think you're doing a lot better at/more with it than I am though. The box that seemed to vex you in times past seems so well behaved, a large amount of which I suspect is down to its owner. Nicely played.
Thank you Gena! It's probably a combination. I've definitely improved and I know how to adjust my playing for the limitations of this particular box, but I've also tweaked it a bit (setup, dutch reversal, tuning, taping off one voice and thirds, bushing bass buttons) and played it a lot which I think had some burn-in effect.
It's a good insight on your part, though. I'm much more fond of it (and playing it) nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:23:29 PM by Eshed »

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2019, 08:19:04 PM »

If someone practiced, recorded, uploaded and have been brave enough to put themselves in front of the world, they damn well deserve that silly little thumbs up and probably a lot more.

100%  with you on that.
Nicely played, by the way  ;D
Greg Smith

Peadar

« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2019, 08:20:28 PM »

That's a lovely little tune and your playing is coming along nicely. Did you learn the tune by ear?
Is that your recent purchase? If so, it was a good one. To my ear (not renowned for being the best), it would benefit from a tuner's attention, but it plays nicely. The reeds sound great and the tune comes through very clearly. I would play drones, where I could, others might not.

Does the title translate easily? Am I right in thinking that the lines that followed are the first verse.

Did I learn the tune by ear....not quite....my lodger plays the PA a bit. I watched his fingers. He plays the tune in C. There's a shake/crathadh in the middle of the second phrase that I haven't quite got yet.

The box is indeed the new aquisition. I am going to leave the tuning alone for now- I will probably try some bass when the melody line is more secure.

Yes that's the fist verse. The line which gives the song is known by "Chi mi 'n tir 's an robh mi nam bhalach" is also the refrain.

I generally avoid translating Gaelic tune titles because the translation often gets hi-jacked and becomes the definitive name of the air.  That said the line translates as " I see the land in which I was a boy" .
Iain MacCumhais made the song when he was a crewman on a timber ship in  the Baltic trade circa 1920 (Clyde-Sweden). That run would have taken him through the Minch passing within sight of his native Harris 3 or 4 times a month

Very rough English phonetics: Kee mee (a)n cheer san roh mee nam bhal-ack...." Chi mi 'n tir/See I the land//'s an robh mi/in which was i //nam bhalach/in my boyhood. 

Smiley - and others- Thanks for the encouraging remarks.  I am not unduly concerned about the odd dislike. I choose to put any narrative on my You tube posts in Gaidhlig and to make them public....so I am likely to attract the odd thumbs down from the "Gaelic is pish" brigade regardless of anything else.
Of course it may be they just don't like the sound of old boxes.

The way ceilidh's have always worked in the West Highlands is that anyone who is willing and able to sing/play/dance is expected to do so. That's what makes the ceilidh a community event and ever so slightly different from an otherwis similar concert. I treat ThOTM as a sort of online Melodeon Ceilidh.

Gena- The thumbs down you got for "Because it's there" (Nov 2018) was probably a sign of envy.

Peadar

(Edit-it occurred to me that some people may just not like the sound of old squeeze boxes. No accounting for taste.)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:56:44 PM by Peadar »
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal