Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned  (Read 18608 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Theme for the Month for July and August 2019: Tunes You've Just Learned
« Reply #120 on: August 31, 2019, 08:30:08 PM »

...The way ceilidh's have always worked in the West Highlands is that anyone who is willing and able to sing/play/dance is expected to do so. That's what makes the ceilidh a community event and ever so slightly different from an otherwis similar concert. I treat ThOTM as a sort of online Melodeon Ceilidh.

They sound a lot like the sessions I go to, here in Cornwall.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Peadar

« Reply #121 on: August 31, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »

...The way ceilidh's have always worked in the West Highlands is that anyone who is willing and able to sing/play/dance is expected to do so. That's what makes the ceilidh a community event and ever so slightly different from an otherwis similar concert. I treat ThOTM as a sort of online Melodeon Ceilidh.

They sound a lot like the sessions I go to, here in Cornwall.

Yes....though I suspect that even in Cornwall under 8's are probably frowned upon in pubs.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #122 on: August 31, 2019, 09:42:42 PM »

Yes....though I suspect that even in Cornwall under 8's are probably frowned upon in pubs.

Depends on the pub.

I know what you mean, though. Different cultures.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2019, 11:21:12 PM »

Thanks all - really enjoyed this theme this time round; on to the next one now! As usual, please feel free to stick any late contributions onto the end of this thread.

Ellisteph

« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2019, 11:47:54 PM »

One of my favourite renditions of the Old Morpeth Rant is Aaron Horlock's Day 172 of his Tune A Day adventure, so far as I know, it's only on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/aaronhorlockmusic/videos/310406656155586/ but should be publicly visible. I first became aware of the two versions of the tune from the playing of Ellisteph who posted just before me in this thread in fact! He performed the pair when this was TOTM and was probably the main influence in me feeling like these were tunes I wanted to learn, as well as how I go about playing them. Thanks Ellisteph!

Hi Gena I'm so pleased you felt inspired to learn these tunes after watching my video. You've made a great job of it; I watched your video then watched mine & wondered why I was playing so fast. Then I watched Aaron Horlock and realised that I must have played at that speed to keep up with the fiddle players at my local session. In future, however, I shall play it slower as It sounds much better. One of those tunes which it is all too easy to speed up on as you are playing. I must start using a metronome.

Ellis
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Peadar

« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2019, 08:39:39 AM »

https://youtu.be/oKLYC_Kh05k

Thanks for posting your video Peadar. I like the sound of old squeezeboxes like yours - an echo of music from many years ago.

(There had only been 6 views when I watched the video but someone had already marked it with a 'thumbs down')  ??? If that person is a member of melnet then could they please enlighten us about what motivated this negativity?

:M "Leac a' Li nam shealladh" :M ........Right notes in the wrong order.  :|bl :|bl Work in progress. By the time I have learnt the other 8 verses the tune might be sorted.
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #126 on: September 08, 2019, 07:45:06 PM »

No&Mi  Permis de valser

Missed the deadline, as always seems to happen, but I had intended to record this, and since there’s a No&Mi discussion going on right now elsewhere on melnet, thought I would tack this here.

I learned it by ear on a G/C, but play it on a Pariselle D/G here (LM)... the air hole is so much bigger on this box that I can better manage the emergency demands for air.  I like it better in the original key though (E-flat, perhaps?)

Editing done – cut out the repeat since I have nothing interesting or even different to add. Have to work on recording quality, some day.

constructive criticism welcome.

Here: https://soundcloud.com/fcdiato/nomi-permis-de-valser-1-sept-2019

The original:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4z2ZO_Jb7k
fc diato

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2019, 08:55:32 PM »

Here's a late one, which I hadn't heard in August so couldn't record it then. It's a song by Richard Thompson, I cannot fathom the words but am quite taken by the tune.

https://youtu.be/biNC6vtL3Nk
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #128 on: October 24, 2019, 01:02:12 AM »

Here's a late one, which I hadn't heard in August so couldn't record it then. It's a song by Richard Thompson, I cannot fathom the words but am quite taken by the tune.

https://youtu.be/biNC6vtL3Nk

That's a beautiful tune. My wife sang it in a folk club the first time we met.

The words are a mix of a general theme of alienation and specific references to Richard's Thompson's girl friend, Jeannie Franklin, a designer and seamstress, who was killed in an horrific accident when Fairport's van crashed on the way home from a gig, in may 1969. Their drummer, Martyn Lambert died, too. Liege and Lief was recorded a few months later.
Greg Smith

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #129 on: October 24, 2019, 01:06:32 AM »

Thanks for that info, Greg. Most enlightening.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #130 on: October 24, 2019, 02:23:13 AM »

The words are a mix of a general theme of alienation and specific references to Richard's Thompson's girl friend, Jeannie Franklin, a designer and seamstress, who was killed in an horrific accident when Fairport's van crashed on the way home from a gig, in may 1969. Their drummer, Martyn Lambert died, too. Liege and Lief was recorded a few months later.

I believe "Crazy Man Michael", on the same album and also written by Richard Thompson, also refers to this crash.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal