Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: GUI software for Linux  (Read 2055 times)

Sebastian

GUI software for Linux
« on: June 30, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »

After more than 10 years my computer has developed serious problems in this summer's heat. I therefore got a new one and used the occasion to switch back to Linux. (Testing now Linux Mint.)

For the past years I used ABCexplorer for MS Windows. Is there a similar software with GUI for Linux for editing and collecting abc files?

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: GUI software for Linux
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 12:27:03 AM »

I personally use EasyABC on Windows, but it's available for Mac and Linux as well:
https://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/

Otherwise take a look here for more options:
https://abcnotation.com/software#linux

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 05:13:18 AM »

...used the occasion to switch back to Linux. (Testing now Linux Mint.)...
Off-topic...
Do you know if it's possible to install Linux Mint on top of Windoze? Thanks.
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 08:59:56 AM »

If you mean you still want to run Windows, your options are either:
Install dual boot, using a spare disc partition which you may have to create or get by installing a second drive, or
Use virtual lmachine software like Virtualbox (free software) so your Mint installation lives in one big file. This lets you run Windows and Linux simultaneously but needs lots of memory to work well.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

robotmay

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 12:00:03 PM »

I use easyABC on Linux. The install isn't as straightforward compared to Windows, as it doesn't have much in the way of pre-built packages. There are some configuration options in the preferences panel for easyABC which let you point out where the dependencies are installed, but once you get that sorted it works very well.

Personally I dual-boot my desktop using two separate drives, though I'll probably separate it out into two machines at some point as I find booting between the two a bit annoying (:)

deltasalmon

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 12:11:40 PM »

...used the occasion to switch back to Linux. (Testing now Linux Mint.)...
Off-topic...
Do you know if it's possible to install Linux Mint on top of Windoze? Thanks.

If you have Windows 10 you can go into your settings and enable Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) and then install a distro of Linux as a subsystem to Windows. There are directions here but I'd suggest only doing this if you're comfortable as an admin in both Windows and Linux.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Sebastian

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »

If you mean you still want to run Windows
Ok, I didn't say it clearly enough.  :|bl

For the past ten or so years I used MS Windows (and ABCexplorer). My new computer has no MS Windows, but only Linux. I know about apcm2ps, abcpp &c., but hoped, there may be a simple graphical front-end to those.

I will have a look at EasyABC (and maybe JedABC).  Thank you! :||:

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2019, 05:32:48 PM »

when I made the switch from WinXP to Linux ABC GUI tools were one of the few things that I missed. Following a brief foray into using lilypond, I found that using a plain text editor with abcm2ps and a document viewer I could do everything that I had previously relied on windows gui tools for. Indeed this is a far more flexible system and allows for infinite adaptability. I would urge you to knuckle down and investigate the full possibilities for working from the command line, not just with abcm2ps, but also abc2midi, abc2abc and abcpp.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Sebastian

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2019, 08:12:10 PM »

when I made the switch from WinXP to Linux ABC GUI tools were one of the few things that I missed.
Yes.  (:)

I found that using a plain text editor with abcm2ps and a document viewer I could do everything that I had previously relied on windows gui tools for.
Yes. When I did much of plainchant notation years ago, I used OpusTeX in a similar way: an editor to write the OpusTeX files, a DVI-viewer and a dvi2pdf-converter. And that's more or less what I did later for normal notation with ABCexplorer in MS Windows. But ABCexplorer integrates these scattered tools into a convenient kind of IDE. Cool! 8)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »

I found that using a plain text editor with abcm2ps and a document viewer I could do everything that I had previously relied on windows gui tools for. Indeed this is a far more flexible system and allows for infinite adaptability.

Yes! I also wrote a handful of simple bash scripts to make it as simple and painless as possible, and don't miss a GUI at all.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2019, 07:30:17 AM »

Off-topic...

Thank you for those hints about installing Unix/Linux. I've tried (and failed!) to install
3 versions in the past (Ubuntu, Red Hat and Tiny), including on a machine which came
with a partitioned disc which should have been ideal. This Mint Linux looks like it may
well be worth a try.

FWIW, I like the idea that a mixed strategy of using Command Prompt Window
commands with GUI utilities is a good way to go. I effectively do that to some extent
already, and the facts that EasyABC is available for Linux, and that Linux Mint comes
bundled with some utilities like LibreOffice, Firefox and GIMP is 'encouraging'. I think
I'll give it a go.

Thanks folks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 07:37:30 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2019, 09:20:11 AM »

There are good instructions on installing EasyABC on Linux at...
https://www.nilsliberg.se/ksp/easyabc/using_EasyABC_in_Linux.txt
MuseScore is a good music scripting program available for Linux (and other platforms). It comes with an ABC import plugin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal