News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duets  (Read 837 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
Duets
« on: July 08, 2019, 04:45:31 PM »

I was recently asked if I could put something on youtube. I called in my old mate Charlie Smith and we recorded three duets as a demo. Charlie is playing the piano and I am using the Hohner Primatona. Although it has a full four voice LMMM set up, the tuning is a lot tighter than the factory original.

Tune selection was fairly basic the Dm and Am Waltzes are my own compositions. I've been playing both for more than 20 years. The arrangement on En Avant Blonde emerged as an extension of the first couple of takes. Although all is played live, these are not by any means the first take.

The Dm waltz theme is taken from a 19thC original. I'm sure I've heard Gus Viseur playing an extended version of this harmonic structure.

I'll be posting tune transcriptions and blogging the recording process.

We're very pleased with the results and we hope that you enjoy them too.

Am Waltz - https://youtu.be/nWXldxd3fIs

Dm Waltz - https://youtu.be/2LtpAshOGbo

En Avant Blonde - https://youtu.be/jgLakl70oLE
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Eshed

• Respected Sage
Re: Duets
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 05:03:11 PM »

We're very pleased with the results and we hope that you enjoy them too.
As you should be. Thank you for recording and sharing!
Do you have a Hohner from 1934-1945 with a serial number on?
Send me a private message or comment on the German Accordion Problem spreadsheet to improve the statistics of the project and get an estimate of the production date of the box if it is not known.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »

Very nice pieces Mike, bravo.

The Primatona sounds great. Actually I would have liked to hear more of it: I found the piano rather too high in the mix - on my system anyway.

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 08:34:51 PM »

All excellent! Wouldn't have though of a duel with piano myself, but they work beautifully together :)

Mike Hirst

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:10:10 PM »

I found the piano rather too high in the mix

Your probably right. The recordings were made this morning and the mix was hurried through before taking down the mics. I've got plans to play around with things at a later date.

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm liking the way this is going. We're planning on doing some more. Feels like it could be a bit of a project ...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 11:12:00 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Mike Hirst

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 11:13:37 PM »

a duel with piano
Is that what they call a Freudian slit?

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 12:08:10 AM »

I can't get the image of a Freudian slit out of my mind. Great to hear and many strong aspects to the whole venture. Really well done, but could the piano have a different role, not just subordinate? Please understand that whatever words I have used, I listened carefully and enjoyed it. I really hope you continue to develop this, and my main intention is to say: well done, keep at it, and thanks.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:23:49 AM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Ellisteph

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 11:20:33 PM »

I was recently asked if I could put something on youtube. I called in my old mate Charlie Smith and we recorded three duets as a demo. Charlie is playing the piano and I am using the Hohner Primatona. Although it has a full four voice LMMM set up, the tuning is a lot tighter than the factory original.

Great stuff Mike. A wry smile from me as I see you've put your one row down for once - although I would be just as pleased to hear it feature as your project develops.
Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Mike Hirst

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 12:19:32 AM »

Great stuff Mike. A wry smile from me as I see you've put your one row down for once - although I would be just as pleased to hear it feature as your project develops.

Thanks Ellis. I'll down your way next week. I hesitate to sy that I'll be up your end ...

Thursday is my mother's birthday, so I wont make the Nantwich session, but if you're going to Bryn's do, on Saturday, I might see you there.

AtB

Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:21:18 AM by Mike Hirst »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal