Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intro and advice needed.  (Read 1429 times)

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
  • Saltarelle Aether II B/C 21/8
Intro and advice needed.
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:30:11 PM »

Hi All,
A little personal history. I’m 68 years old and have been playing music of some kind since I was 13 years old.

I’ve been a member of melnet for a little over a year. This will be my first post however.
I came to melodeon by way of Irish Traditional Music. Started out as a fiddle/mando player that wanted to add melodeon to the mix. I bought a B/C box and started in with the help of some basic youtube vids. So I’ve been playing now for a little over a year. Progress has been slow but I’m ok with that. Just playing for myself these days.

A funny thing happened during that year. As I became more and more enamoured with the instrument, I started listening to its use in different genres. In my exploration I have discovered so many great players and such different music that I feel I would like to explore.

Here is where some of my questions for forum members starts.
Although I started on a semitone box ( and am happy with its use for ITM ), I would now like to explore the fourth apart system. I know this lengthens the learning curve but I’m ok with that.
Of the players I’ve discovered, my favorites are as follows:
Andy Cutting, Martin Coudroy, Remi Geffroy, Stephane Delicq as well as a band named Naragonia. I think my favorite at the moment is Stephane Delicq. Although I have a hard time finding any discography of his, Mostly youtube offerings and covers.

Of the systems I’ve researched I feel that the G/C tuning might be a good place to start. I enjoy the lower tone range of the G/C and I noticed that the bass layout is closely similar to my existing McComiskey layout on my B/C. Differences being the Amin and the F on push instead of D. I'm very open to opinions and suggestions. Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

I have many more questions but I thought I would start here to tap into the wealth of knowledge that is this forum. Thanks and happy to be a member.

Ken

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Intro and advice needed.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 08:42:58 PM »

Hi and welcome Ken,

nice to meet you. It's cool that this forum has a steady influx of new players and discussion participants. Hope you'll like it here and don't be shy to ask whatever crosses your mind (but do use the search function first as most people forget about it easily). Where are you from by the way?

About your choice of a fourth-apart box: I highly recommend getting a G/C box if you want to play Delicq and Naragonia and other French music because that's what they often use. You will definitely like the low tone of the G/C reeds as most people do. I reckon you'll get used to the bidirectional F on the bass side pretty soon as it is highly versatile in its usability.

If you need further instructions on where to look for boxes, how much to spend, which manufacturer to get, etc., don't hesitate to ask. This forum has a very active buy and sell section with some great deals and there are even a few shop owners on here who will gladly help you with your search.

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 08:56:58 PM »

Welcome Ken. I see you live stateside, so the predominance of D/G on this side of the pond, won't affect you as much. G/C is great I love those keys, and I can sing with one playing in the home key of C, which isn't always the case when the home key is G, as in a D/G box. There are several great tutors for G/C, the best ones come in both French and English, so no problems there.
Pignol Milleret, and Yann Dour are the best two as far as I know.
Get into 4th apart, and learn some nice new tunes.

Good squeezing

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:45:22 PM »

Some of us had workshops recently with the Naragonia players. You are talking my world. There'll be many here to help. Delicq died young within the memory of many here, and has many keen advocates.
There's recently been a thread on here to ask players if they are ok to say where roughly they are from. I see you are from Virginia, you might find help in the flesh, but just yell if you need anything. Particularly if you are looking for tunes. I did buy some Delicq CDs a while back, but actually prefer the tunes to the recordings. There are two clips that I know of on youtube of him playing.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:47:53 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:09:53 AM »

Hi Ken and welcome to what is possibly the nicest forum on the planet. C/G is a good choice for your first fourth apart box given the repertoire you mention. Please bear in mind that variants like D/G, A/D, C/F, B/E and Bb/Eb and so on are only of achedemic interest to anyone other than scholars and nerdy geeks. You're not one of those, right? Right? RIGHT?  :o ::)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

playandteach

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:38:55 AM »

C/G is a good choice for your first fourth apart box given the repertoire you mention. Please bear in mind that variants like D/G, A/D, C/F, B/E and Bb/Eb and so on are only of achedemic interest to anyone other than scholars and nerdy geeks. You're not one of those, right? Right? RIGHT?  :o ::)
Abso - blooming -lutely. If you look at my response you will only see encouragement about the choice of repertoire. Anything else is partisan. Ken, Pete is right that this is the best online forum. We might disagree on things with passion, but the passion is why forums exist and before you know it, you will be the one to answer the questions.
Plus of course we do have genuine resident experts (not me).
Also, you can flip-flop. Be gender neutral, or pick a key,,, you can change your mind later and lose no friends in the process.

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 03:09:10 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I know I have a long way to go in my endeavors.
There are a few questions that I have concerning the basics of a 4th Apart system.
 As I am presently playing a B/C box with a flat keyboard ( recommended by most Irish Trad players ), I am wondering about the possible transition to a stepped keyboard. Have any other players found that going back and forth between the two is a problem? I use sliding a fair amount in Irish playing but I don't notice this technique used as much in other styles of playing.

Another challenge is going to be the use of Bass keys. I have not delved into this much at all so far. Irish tunes are very melody oriented and using just the treble side is usually sufficient to get along.
In playing English of French music I see the basses are used extensively. Any tips for getting started in their use?

Also, playing a G/C system, is it important to have the ability to close off thirds in the basses? I see may boxes do not have this stop as standard.

So far in my exploring this forum I have noticed the presence of many G/C players. That's encouraging for me. Viewing some of the TOTM offerings I am quite impressed with the talent on this forum.
I can see I'll be spending a  lot more time here.

Ken

playandteach

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »

My DG box has a stepped keyboard, my GC not. I had to go and look at them because they feel very similar.
I don't have 3rds on my GC box, and often switch them out on the DG box. I wouldn't let the lack of a 3rds stop put me off a box I really liked.
There are ways round it if necessary.
There are many approaches to adding the left hand. Some would say start with both hands, so that you don't put the skill off. I can always put some patterns together if there's a tune you would like to learn (assuming that it is something I'd be able to play, if it is a fast Irish tune it might be beyond my technique).
Naturally I don't know where your current skills lie and wouldn't want to assume anything.

Ken McAlack

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 08:53:42 PM »

Hi Playandteach,
Up to this point I have used my bass keys very little. An occasional drone to punctuate a phrase end.
I see that in a lot of the music I'm listening to now there is some sustained bass/chords used as well as the "um pah pah" used for rhythm and melody accompaniment.  This will be a new skill for me.
I'm also pretty new to the melodeon as well. A little over a year at this point. I feel that I've only waded in up to my ankles so far. So at some point I might like to take you up on some video exercise examples. Thank you for offering.
At my present age I am not as quick to assimilate new skills but I plan to keep on trying. I love music and love learning new things.

Ken

playandteach

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »

You'd be welcome. Probably best if you decide on a tune to learn. There will be stronger players and experienced teachers out there (out here) but I'd help to get you going, within my own limits.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal