Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air button  (Read 3149 times)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Air button
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »

Just to mention Mustradem's DVD https://youtu.be/s4OMJGa1cfo

It is all about air control, the button, posture and avoidance of strain

(Link above is to the promotion video, not the actual product)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 08:13:56 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Squeaky Pete

• Squeaky Pete
  • Re-hohn a Hohner
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2019, 08:46:38 AM »

I played this box a little more and it's really a huge improvement. The raised bit is just enough to act like a typical Hohner jobbie, and although the spring is stiffer than any other club box I've tried, it is no great effort as the action is down now rather than in.
If anyone wants to do the same thing, it fairly easy.
The original push in button is soft bendy plastic and it it pushed over a wooden block. This is easy to get off. Then the block is trimmed flush with the face of the bass cover.
The little block itself is a bit of (in this case) beech and I tried a couple of shapes starting with almost a hook before I came up with this shape inspired by Chris's picture of a Van Der Aa box.
Fitting it was a little tedious as I had to keep checking to make sure it didn't foul the slot. I used fast setting PVA, none of this foaming stuff, and gave it a few coats of Danish oil.
Poker work DG.
Pariselle 2.6 DG, Ex-Club IIIBS CF,
Matching Liliputs in CF and DG,
Lots of sickly Hohners needing TLC,
Bassoon, Various Bagpipes........

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:09 AM »

Thanks Lester and Rees. I'll make those plan A anb plan B.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 02:05:37 PM »

It is all about air control, the button, posture and avoidance of strain

We are still talking about melodeons I trust...
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 03:58:55 PM »

More on topic, I have an old Hohner with a very short airbutton. Very similar to a pokerwork but barely proud of the cover. Suggestions for improving the situation welcomed.
Remove the bass end plate, gently ease the button up the shaft a little, Robert's your father's brother...

Robert is, indeed my Father's brother.
It was very tight and tricky  to ease up a bit at a time. Easier to pull it right off and then push it back on until it sat the way I wanted it. It was just pushed on, though, no adhesive involved.

Thanks for the confidence to actually do it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stockaryd

• Regular debater
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:51 PM »

According to my granny; "Squeaky shoes aren't paid for!"

That is also true in Sweden.
Hohner Corso, Hohner Erica, Emmanuel Pariselle, Gessner,   Koch,   Mariotti,    "China  NoName",   4 Toy,     -and now some more

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »

From my experience of having relatives without shoes or boots (not within the span of my memory, mind) I suspect that the only people in many poor communities to have new boots, which might well have squeaked, were bought on the never-never, so actually weren't paid for!
Most old wive's tales and granny sayings seem to have a kernel of truth, somewhere.
(Not unlike the scary tales of itinerant squeezebox players, eh? Gypsies and their like.)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 12:20:12 AM »

...I've tried the Hohner button and find it just cramps my thumb joint and have never got on with it...

Q

I suspect you were trying to push the button with your thumb. I don't know what others do, but I operate Hohner type air buttons with the fleshy part of my palm beneath my thumb. I don't think I could reach it and operate the bass buttons any other way. That works a treat, though.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »

I have small hands and with my natural position to reach the bases, the button seemed to sit around the joint in my thumb.
I could use it, but as said, I'm used to an Italian wedge. Using a Hohner button I would often find I was bending my thumb joint to operate it and after a while felt it cramping.
It could have been simply that this was the first time of using a Hohner button on my friend's borrowed Hohner. When I had the opportunity to buy one and was having the Hohner fettled before buying, I opted to change it to the wedge.
For me it was the easiest way forward, possibly the laziest way forward!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 09:15:54 AM »

Using a Hohner button I would often find I was bending my thumb joint to operate it and after a while felt it cramping.
Q

That's the difference. I just tried consciously operating the button while playing and found that it happens right at the base of the thumb in the joint that is considered part of the hand (the Basal Carpometacarpol joint. I looked it up  ;D). This is the most mobile joint in the hand and seems to be the most powerful. Probably the one you use with the wedge.

Anyway, I'd better lay off this before Theo gets upset.
Greg Smith

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 10:06:44 AM »

Well I'm pretty sure my hand size/position made that impossible, but it's too late now for me to test the theory!
I think Theo might understand, but yes, let's move on.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 10:34:17 AM »

Nothing to upset me here.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 07:42:31 PM »

I found much of this discussion amusing as it relates to my present circumstances.  I recently suffered a minor stroke, indeed I might well have missed it had it not left my left hand somewhat numb and clumsy.  Over the weeks, I have been making all manner of strange noises in the morris band as I create new neural pathways to regain the lost dexterity.  I've also used it as an excuse to swap boxes to see what currently works for me.

I find it easiest to operate the wedge type, but then can't get off it again, whereas the Hohner style button is a devil to get to, but I can release it easily, albeit with a deafening "thunk".  For the record, most of my own Hohners are full-sized Club models, so have wedge air buttons.  I believe some Club models have a second hole and mech linked in, allowing very fast bellows movements!

The primary grip has greatly improved, allowing almost full use of the index and middle finger, so I'm favouring tunes in D.  Must get more practice in G and get that ring finger working again.

Rob.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »

so sorry to hear that Rob. Stroke can be a terrible thing
  _       _    _      _ 

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2021, 05:49:13 PM »

Thanks for the kind words, all.  Seeing as I felt terrible for a week or more before the incident and have felt quite good since, I consider it no more than a warning.  It certainly decided me to quit smoking and the health benefits have been immediate and remarkable.  All told probably beneficial in the long run.

Rob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal