Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth  (Read 7471 times)

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
Sidmouth
« on: July 10, 2019, 01:38:07 PM »

I know I'm not the only one going - after all Anahata seems to have a block booking at the Woodlands hotel (where I am volunteering).  The full program is now published https://sidmouthfolkfestival.co.uk/full-festival-programme-2019-now-live/.  Any suggestions on what not to miss - I am on the volunteer team for Tony Hall on Saturday and am sure to catch Anahata on at least one of three evening sessions.

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
Re: Sidmouth
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:46 PM »

Trying to ascertain details times/dates/locations of workshops but nothing seems to give me this information. What am I doing wrong?
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »

Trying to ascertain details times/dates/locations of workshops but nothing seems to give me this information. What am I doing wrong?

If you click on the word 'here' in the sentence beginning 'You can download...'  you'll get the whole programme: Sidmouth Folk Festival

It's not very clear as there are no visual clues that it is a link, but it is.

[Edit - edited to add a direct link to the programme ]
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:28:21 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 04:42:35 PM »

If you want a workshop.  Don't look through the main listings of concerts etc.  There are separate lists with enough information further into the program.

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 04:44:43 PM »

Have you got it yet Dick?
I'm planning on doing the John K 9.30am Workshops Mon-Fri plus various others. Last year a few of us met at the YMCA, I think it was running Mon-Wednesday, for an informal late morning session with cake!

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:14:03 PM »

I'm playing for the Dartmoor step-dancing workshop on the Wednesday.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 06:15:13 PM »

Ooh, that’s a lot of information to digest and sort out. Very many thanks.

If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 11:53:21 PM »

Anahata seems to have a block booking at the Woodlands hotel

Yes, three events at the Woodlands, and two of them are a "Trad Night Out" with MC Dan Quinn, Chris Ormston, Harbour Lights Trio and Jeff Warner all appearing at both. There are some different acts too...

I'm also "officially helping" Nick and Mary Barber in their Big Band workshop (sitting in the band and playing, that's all), and we have a few other events including an Anchor Gardens ceilidh with English Rebellion and Martyn Harvey.

(Edit: typo)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:27:58 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 10:18:35 AM »

The melodeon specific workshops
DG Melodeon absolute beginners – Ed Rennie, Sun – Thurs 3:30 – 4:15 & 4:30 – 5:15pm Kingswood & Devoran Hotel
DG Melodeon intermediates – Mel Biggs, Tues – Thurs 4:00 -5:30pm Lower Methodist Hall
Melodeon relative beginners – Bob Ellis, Sat & Sun 4:30 – 6:00pm  Rugby Club
Melodeon Master Class - Saul Rose, Mon – Wed 4:00 – 5:30pm Rugby Club
Song accompaniment on the Melodeon – Hazel Askew, Sun 2:00 – 3:30pm, Primary School Classroom

Could get into a different discussion on absolute, relative, intermediate - I assume master refers to Saul himself!

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »

"I assume master refers to Saul himself!"

If it doesn't , then it certainly should do! He's fabulous.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 03:26:44 PM »

Bob Ellis' Well Known Tunes at a Steady Pace are also very melodeon friendly.
Monday 1.30pm - 3.30pm, Tuesday 1.30pm - 3.30pm, Wednesday 1.30pm - 3.30pm and Thursday 6pm - 7.30pm.
All upstairs at the Rugby Club.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2019, 04:03:54 PM »

I think we could do with a 'Little known tunes at a steady pace' session, a bit like Frank Lee's 'Tune swap' workshop at Whitby.
Any takers?
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »

Thanks, Rob and Wicked Lady for the plugs for some of my workshops. I will also be offering a How to Learn Tunes by Ear workshop for players of any instrument on Sunday (09:30 - 11:00) in the upstairs bar of the Rugby Club and will be running our usual open session every night along with my colleagues in the Loose Knit Band from 20:00 in the downstairs bar of the Rugby Club.

Your suggestion of a Little Known Tunes session is a good idea - it just needs someone to lead it and a venue and it could be offered as part of the 'fringe' festival. The venue could be the downstairs bar in the Rugby Club one lunchtime or afternoon and I think you might have just volunteered yourself as the leader! If you want to do this, I could liaise with Sarah and Brian at the Rugby Club on your behalf, since I know both of them well.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 11:10:41 PM »

Bob: Have you decided which tunes you are going to teach in your Relative Beginners workshops? Some advance notice would be very helpful for those of us that struggle to pick up tunes either by ear or from dots if we only find out what the tunes are at the start of the workshops. Cheers, David

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:26 AM »

Yes, David, I have decided which tunes I intend to use for my melodeon workshops at Sidmouth. While I can't guarantee that these won't change, I'll probably use Valse à Bouffard (Patrick Bouffard's Waltz) for the first workshop, which is entitled "Playing with Feeling", although this title doesn't appear in the programme. For the second workshop, entitled "Foolproof Basses and Beyond", I'll use some or all of Click Go the Shears (a.k.a. Strike the Bell), The Oyster Girl and Mazurka Limousin.

Bear in mind that most people won't know in advance which tunes I am using and therefore, while all the tunes are fairly well-known, there will be some people in the workshops who are unfamiliar with them, so I will need to spend some time teaching the basic tunes. Therefore, there may not be much advantage in learning the tunes beforehand. I will also change the fingering during the workshops so that different arrangements can employ different basses, which means that anything you learn in advance may be different from the fingering we use in the workshop.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 08:29:43 AM »

Many thanks Bob. I fully understand there will be changes during the workshops but at least now I’ll know what the tunes sound like and be able to get an initial version into my brain & fingers. Cheers, David

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 03:21:16 PM »

Have you learned the tune? >:E >:E :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Katie Howson

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 03:25:55 PM »

Don't forget the Squeezebox Concert on Tuesday, 3.00-5.00 in the BEdford!!

Myself, Brian Peters, and Conor Keane, plus Keith Kendrick hosting. You probably know roughly what to expect from me and Brian Peters, but may not know Conor Keane.

He's appearing with wonderful fiddle player and singer Eileen O'Brien several times over the week, but also doing a solo spot on the said Squeezebox Concert.

Don't miss him, he's a brilliant player of Irish traditional music and also a composer of tunes, some with a distinctly French flavour (he lived there for a while I think). Here's one of the latter to whet your appetite.

"The Star of Brittany" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuxSkt-3Dw...

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »

"The Star of Brittany" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvuxSkt-3Dw...

Thank's. That's reminded me that I was going to learn the "Star of Brittany" prior to a very low key concert appearance at the Fête de l'Oignon, Roscoff, at the end of August.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 03:37:35 PM by Mike Hirst »
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »

Have you learned the tune? >:E >:E :|glug

Which one? Lisa keeps finding new ones!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal