Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth  (Read 7470 times)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
Re: Sidmouth
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2019, 04:10:40 PM »

I'm playing for the Dartmoor step-dancing workshop on the Wednesday.

Have you learned the tune? >:E >:E :|glug

Which one? Lisa keeps finding new ones!
'Nother pigeon on 'nother gate, boy.... :|glug

On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

MelonBox

• Respected Sage
    • Mel Biggs Music | Melodeon Teacher
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 08:57:14 AM »

Thanks Rob for posting the workshop times!

I'll be looking at How to take your playing to the next level intended to give intermediate players tips and tricks for how to challenge their improvement and challenge the plateau effect!

Sidmouth Festival don't specify workshop level requirements, so I am expecting a wide range of abilities and that's A.OK with me! It is a festival after all. However, I am gently stipulating that participants have reasonable grasp over left-right hand coordination and good knowledge of your left hand bass map.

If these two things are something you struggle with, I'm not saying 'don't come, you won't get anything out of my workshops!' - quite the contrary - but you may find them extra challenging. I'm all for challenging people in workshops as it gives you something to take away and work on in your own time, so this isn't a bad approach.

Also good to note that the three workshops will not be progressive so you can come to one or all as you please.

See you soon!  8)
Castagnari Trilly DG and GC, Castagnari Tommy DG all by Acorn Instruments,
Hohner Picoletta Bb/Eb and Hohner Student 1 C/F conversion set up by Mike Rowbotham.

Pick Up & Play with Mel Biggs - Online beginners course: https://melbiggsmusic.co.uk/puap

Mel Biggs Musician | Melodeon Teacher
www.melbiggsmusic.co.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 09:11:09 AM »

Yes, David, I have decided which tunes I intend to use for my melodeon workshops at Sidmouth. While I can't guarantee that these won't change, I'll probably use Valse à Bouffard (Patrick Bouffard's Waltz) for the first workshop, which is entitled "Playing with Feeling", although this title doesn't appear in the programme.

Having realised that I have used Valse à Bouffard twice before in workshops at Sidmouth, I have decided to ring the changes, so for the first Relative Beginners Melodeon workshop I'll use the Bledington Morris tune, William and Nancy and The Chanter's Song (aka The Chanter's Tune and The Song of the Chanter) an Irish variant of the English song known variously as The Rambling Soldier, The Rambling Sailor, Young Johnson and The Trim Rigged Doxy.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 10:07:05 AM »

Uncommon tunes at a steady pace
Rugby Club downstairs, Thursday 1.30

Following on from Frank Lee's 'Tune Swap' workshop/session at Whitby two years ago, Peter Corkhill on fiddle and myself on melodeon, will be running a similar session which we've called 'Uncommon tunes at a steady pace'. The idea is to play tunes that are not part of the usual session repertoire, and for attendees to introduce their favourite tunes that other musicians may not know.
Peter and I will start off with 2 or 3 of our tunes played a few times thru' at a steady pace, giving other people time to pick them up. We'll then ask for contributions from others. There will be no obligation to contribute!
If any of you Melnetters attend, please make yourselves known.
Cheers
Hugh
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 11:22:42 AM »

You are clashing with Granny's Attic at the Woodlands Hugh. Sadly I cannot make your session as I'm "on Duty"

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »

Having realised that I have used Valse à Bouffard twice before in workshops at Sidmouth, I have decided to ring the changes, so for the first Relative Beginners Melodeon workshop I'll use the Bledington Morris tune, William and Nancy and The Chanter's Song (aka The Chanter's Tune and The Song of the Chanter) an Irish variant of the English song known variously as The Rambling Soldier, The Rambling Sailor, Young Johnson and The Trim Rigged Doxy.

Thanks Bob. See you on Saturday.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2019, 05:41:16 PM »

You are clashing with Granny's Attic at the Woodlands Hugh

Well with a program like Sidmouth's, we were bound to clash with something. Hopefully not everyone will be at the concert.
Tumbling Tom Band

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 07:57:05 AM »

I have a plan to be there for Sunday, along with the family (so my mum Anne and my husband Jason), so hopefully I shall see some of you all around.

I'm interested in trying to make it to Hazel Askew's workshop on squeezing adjacent to singing (#337) - I usually schlep around by the sea front & blackmore gardens, and the workshop is at 'C of E primary school classroom' - the school appears to be a 30 minute walk away from the coast. Is that the right location, and, any tips on getting there as efficiently as possible?

Hopefully will see many of you around! I'm not sure how late we're staying since we day trip, and often things are a bit too busy for me in the evenings.

Wicked Lady

• Dino Baffetti Art 86, Castagnari Tommy, BP2
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »

Gena; the C of E Primary school is only a straight walk up the main road away from the sea (carry on past the cinema and it's on the right) and more like 15 minutes max, certainly not 30!

I did a workshop there last year and the only problem I had was trying to find the correct classroom...……...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »

... more like 15 minutes max, certainly not 30!

Yes, I'd second that. We did an Irish Set workshop there last year I think artists' reception has been there is past years.  A bit of a hike but not too far.

Just notice Hazel's workshop clashes with the jig competition. Oh well, that's Sidmouth.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Barry M

• bmelodeon
  • Good talker
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:49 AM »

An hour with the wonderful Tony Hall (336) also clashes with Hazel Askews workshop on singing with melodeon (337)
Which is a shame
So much going on bound to be timetable clashes :-)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 10:21:27 AM by Barry M »

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:57 AM »

Can anyone suggest some friendly and welcoming sessions? I haven't been to Sidmouth for years and there's so much going on!
Steve from Wakefield

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 10:41:09 AM »

Can anyone suggest some friendly and welcoming sessions? I haven't been to Sidmouth for years and there's so much going on!

Hi, check out the Loose Knit Band's nightly sessions in the ground floor bar of the Rugby club. You won't get friendlier sessions anywhere in Sidmouth*

* other friendly sessions are available.

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 11:12:03 AM »

Thanks, Helena. That's really helpful. Any suggestions for daytime sessions?
Steve from Wakefield

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

Thanks, Helena. That's really helpful. Any suggestions for daytime sessions?

You could try Bob's 'Well known tunes...' which is more or less a session otherwise try the Swan, the Radway or the Bedford.

The Bedford tends to the Irish side of things sometimes, the Swan can be hit and miss and the Radway *may* appear unfriendly but actually isn't.  The Radway gets my vote simply because you can find/cause tunes at pretty much any time.

I don't think we've met but do say 'hi' if you see me - I look remarkably like my profile picture.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 11:46:32 AM »

I have heard that the landlord/owner of the Bedford Hotel is encouraging people to try and 'improve' the sessions in it, to get away from every third tune being Captain Pugwash or something similar. I know one of our good local bands are taking residence I think on Wednesday and will run the session. Might even take a look myself.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:12 AM »

Depends on what kind of music you want to play, but for English/Euro tunes I agree with Helena about the Radway. There will usually be music being played between 11.00am and 11pm, though tends to dip around tea time.
Say hello if you see me, I'm like my photo!
Tumbling Tom Band

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:56 AM »

Thanks,Hugh. Will do.
Steve from Wakefield

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »

Yep, the Radway is always a good bet.
If it gets quiet just have a pint and wait. Another group of people will re-populate it very sortly!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 12:02:22 PM »

If it gets quiet just have a pint and wait. Another group of people will re-populate it very sortly!

If you start playing more people will appear magically.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal