Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Sidmouth  (Read 7474 times)

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
Re: Sidmouth
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2019, 12:34:31 PM »

Given my playing, it would probably drive people away!
Steve from Wakefield

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:12 PM »

Very true!
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:11 PM »

Harsh, Thruppeny Bit, but true.  (:)
Steve from Wakefield

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2019, 02:01:26 PM »

Argh.... abject apologies Steve.
My 'very true' was in reply to Helena's comment about playing a tune in the Radway and people come out of the woodwork.
It obviously cross - posted  :-[
I certainly would never  cast aspertions about anyone's playing.
I do apologise.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2019, 02:06:12 PM »

I have heard that the landlord/owner of the Bedford Hotel is encouraging people to try and 'improve' the sessions in it, to get away from every third tune being Captain Pugwash or something similar. I know one of our good local bands are taking residence I think on Wednesday and will run the session. Might even take a look myself.
Q

True...John Shepley  (who some may know even tho he plays a PA) has been charged with running sessions in a semi organised manner...my understanding is that there will be a band booked to lead tunes with opportunities for others to play along then lead a tune themselves...but that is only my understanding, which is frequently flawed... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2019, 03:46:59 PM »

Gena; the C of E Primary school is only a straight walk up the main road away from the sea (carry on past the cinema and it's on the right) and more like 15 minutes max, certainly not 30!

I did a workshop there last year and the only problem I had was trying to find the correct classroom...……...
Yes, I'd second that.

Disaster averted, it seems; rather than ask Google maps, I should have checked the venue map here https://sidmouthfolkfestival.co.uk/venue-map/ - in my defence I had wanted directions.

Google maps seems to suggest a very different location if you search for 'Sidmouth c of e primary school' vs 'Sidmouth Primary school', I'll edit in a pin in a bit to demonstrate because doing so on a tablet is a hellish experience.

Thats my legs saved, thank you both for sanity checking.

edit:

https://goo.gl/maps/qHT3rYLF1naY356MA Where google thinks "Sidmouth C of E Primary School" is, near the Balfour Arms, apparently.
https://goo.gl/maps/hQjfY1h15jkn6Gcx7 Where the venue actually appears to be.

They both have the same phone # and website so I imagine gmaps has managed to get itself confused.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:10:27 PM by Gena Crisman »

Steve Fox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »

Argh.... abject apologies Steve.
My 'very true' was in reply to Helena's comment about playing a tune in the Radway and people come out of the woodwork.
It obviously cross - posted  :-[
I certainly would never  cast aspertions about anyone's playing.
I do apologise.
Q
No apologies necessary! I was only pulling your leg. And the comment was so beautifully apt.
Steve from Wakefield

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2019, 05:59:47 PM »

:Ph
Thanks Steve!
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2019, 08:10:16 AM »

Off to Sidmouth in 2 minutes.

I shall wear a melnet badge.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2019, 11:02:14 PM »

I made it to Hazel Askew's singing accompanying workshop yesterday, and I enjoyed myself (despite being a very unskilled singer). I got to look at all the interesting melodeons everyone had, 2 Emmanuel Pariselle course boxes, a lady with a Castagnari 1914 was to my left, then Serenellinis, Dinos, Hohners & Castagnaris for days. It was my first box workshop so it's probably the most I've ever seen at a time. Mostly DGs, at least one person had a GC. We played & sang in E minor.

It was listed as "intermediate / advanced", and that seemed like an apt description. It was a mix of right hand chords/arpeggiation techniques/patterns, different bass patterns we could use and having an alternative chord sequence. An additional skill that came in handy was being comfortable matching the chords changes up with written words without eg bar lines or beats, which is something I do a lot at a ukulele singaround I go to.

At the end we picked out a different technique for each verse, to form a (overly busy) arrangement for the song (about 6 or 7 verses, no chorus), but it was a neat and empowering exercise.

I went to the Royal York and Falkner, for a song and music session hosted by English Rebellion, which was also wonderful. I didn't do much meeting of people this year otherwise, though. That's my sidmouth over for this year - hope everyone else has a good week!

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »

Hi Gena. I was the “improver” but not yet “intermediate” with the Serenellini Lady on your right so here’s a belated hello. Playing the tune by ear was way beyond me, but once we got onto the various accompaniments I was more comfortable. I also went to Bob Ellis’s excellent workshops for Relative Beginners which are more my level and a great way of learning new tunes. I’ll be trying Mel’s Intermediate workshops too. Sidmouth has (almost) too many melodeon workshops this year.  (:)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 10:13:07 AM »

There are never too many workshops!!
I remember leaving feedback to say we need more. At the time Ed Rennie was the only one doing absolute beginners.
I'm pleased they have taken on board repeated comments about melodeon workshops and broadened the choices hopefully to fit in with people'sv various abilities.

I've had a workshop with Hazel Askew a year ago at Halsway. It was an excellent workshop and run in a very laidback and caring way. A very talented lady!

Hopefully will get down tomorrow into the Bedford with friends running the afternoon session and then Bob Ellis's evening sesh... I hope!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2019, 10:48:16 AM »

Hi Gena. I was the “improver” but not yet “intermediate” with the Serenellini Lady on your right so here’s a belated hello. Playing the tune by ear was way beyond me, but once we got onto the various accompaniments I was more comfortable.

Oh, lovely! Very nice to meet you! I was vaguely surprised that I wasn't seeing more Serenellinis around, generally. I thought I had spied a Selli somewhere, the Lady's 2 voice cousin - I had been thinking it must have been yours at the workshop, but, evidently not. I hope that you have a good time at the other events & workshops! I was very pleased to find two scheduled events that were relevant for me, and both on a day I was actually there, too!

I do somewhat wish I had made a short recording of part of the song as few others opted to, to help keep the melody and which parts had the longer pauses in my head, but I'm pretty sure I have it right.

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2019, 09:01:43 AM »

My “Lady” has a “Selli” basses end which is where Serenellini put the model name so on first glance she appears to be a Selli but the stop on the melody end shows she is actually a Lady! And she’s called Selli to add to the confusion. Enjoy the rest of Sidmouth.  :||:  :||:

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2019, 10:07:19 PM »

Thanks to everyone on melnet who attended my workshops and Well Known Tunes structured sessions and also to those who attended the Loose Knit Band sessions in the evenings. I hope everybody had as good a time as I did.

Set off at 06:00 this morning for the return journey to beat the worst of the weather and met virtually no hold-ups anywhere on the 7-hour journey home. That's never happened before!  Maybe getting out of bed ridiculously early in the morning is the best way to avoid the traffic chaos. I'll have to try it again next year.

There was a pretty little polka played in the Loose Knit Band sessions that I think was called Plucking Raspberries. I've managed to transcribe the dots from my addled memory, but I can't find anything about it on the internet. Does anyone know whether it is an old tune or a recent composition and, if the latter, who wrote it?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 10:29:02 PM »

Bob, that was a good plan.
Around late morning the M5  by Exeter really busy, backing back onto A30 and A38 as people evacuated from west.
Earlier East Devon council emailed the traders telling them the esplanade was closed due to forecast.
Have just heard the LNE cancelled and Bulverton evacuated due to concerns for safety of roof.
A lot have heeded advice and gone, my daughter had help dropping her tent as wind now horrendous so going home shortly.
Just hope everyone keeps safe in the winds....
Thrupenny Bit

David A

• Good talker
  • Serenellini Lady D/G
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »

Thanks to Bob, Hazel and Mel for their respective excellent and varied workshops during the week. The early termination of the Granny’s Attic / Belshazzar’s Feast concert was disappointing but understandable given the way the roof beams of the marquee were flexing. Fortunately this morning was dry so there was only the wind to cope with whilst packing up. Is it too early to start planning for Sidmouth 2020?

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2019, 07:02:59 PM »

“There was a pretty little polka played in the Loose Knit Band sessions that I think was called Plucking Raspberries“

Hi Bob

Plucking Raspberries is a tune discovered by Martin and Jacqui recently. That is not it’s proper title I believe. Contact Jacqui for dots.

Sorry I only got to one session this year, but too many other commitments.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2019, 10:18:42 PM »

Thanks Martin. I already have the dots. I just want to know the origins of the tune.

Sorry I didn't see you at more sessions or have the opportunity to talk. Hopefully, next year!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »

Just back from Devon, spent a week near Dartmoor after Sidmouth.  I made the Hazel Askew playing for song workshop and sat through some excellent music while volunteering at the Woodlands.  Including an excellent concert with Tony Hall & Damien Barber and of course the Granny's Attic which was great especially as I was at the aborted Bulverton Concert on Friday evening where they played a third of their set before the bouncing roof and lights caused the stop. I was saying to my neighbour I was glad I wasn't sitting under the lights just before the decision.....
Sadly my melodeon re(developed) a problem after the workshop so I was effectively melodeonless for most of the week and 'slumming it' on my Anglo.  Which visited an excellent Brian Peters workshop with my daughter.
No purchases despite hour spent in the music intrument places but my daughter bought a nice mandolin and native flute (I suspect the money used may have my handprint on it!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal