Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuckoos Nest version ?  (Read 2144 times)

Donski

Cuckoos Nest version ?
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »

Hello all :)
Just watching the excellent Shrewsbury festival "Knight and Spiers" video on Youtube..  At the beginning they play a set of 3 cuckoo songs... I love the third which is apparently a take on the Morris dance Cuckoos Nest but I cant find any reference to this version anywhere... I taught myself to play it although I think my bass could be a bit more imaginative.. anyone know anything about this version ?
Cheers
Don
Just starting out.. Black Diamond D&G

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
Re: Cuckoos Nest version ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:45:47 PM »

According to the discography on their website, it says the third tune is Cuckoo's Nest (Longborough).
If I could find my album copy, it probably has more info about all three.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Donski

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 04:52:41 PM »

you're a star !  straight into google and wham :) https://themorrisring.org/sites/default/files/sheetmusic/longboroughCuckoosNest1.pdf  Just realised that's the first version (2nd tune) .. the 3rd one is the tune in question.... ?

starts at about 9:20 with the plucked violin.

cheers
Don

« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 04:58:05 PM by Donski »

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »

If you look in more detail on the Morris Ring site,  you can actually listen to all the tunes online.
For starters, you'll also find 'The Cuckoos Nest' in Bledington,  Ilmington, Sherborne at least. And there are probably others as well.....
You might find the one want.....
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:42:04 PM »

Just watched the relevant YouTube video:  the third "Cuckoo's Nest" tune starts at about 7.15, and is pretty much the Ilmington version.  The first tune is a version of "The Cuckoo is a Pretty Bird", the second, in a minor mode, is a take on the Bledington, Longborough & Sherborne versions (they often shared musicians, so the similarity is no surprise) of "Cuckoo's Nest", and the third, in a major key, is about right for Ilmington.

The tune that starts at about 9.20 has, to me, the feeling of an Irish 12/16 slide, and may or may not have a cuckoo significance. Nice tune, though..........

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »

Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:10:13 PM »

I would suggest that the OP learns how to create a link to a point in a Youtube video he is referring to. It's not difficult and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but if you have a specific question then please do us the courtesy of setting a link to the precise moment a tune you are asking about starts. If you don't know how to do this then ask, we will be more than happy to help.  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Donski

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 09:22:52 PM »

I do actually know but wasn’t sure if links were allowed as many sites these days don’t allow them.. and it’s very simple to use the search bar in YouTube by typing Knight and Spiers.. I can show you how if need be ! (Unnecessary)

Thanks those that did reply.. I am still none the wiser as it appears it may not be one of the cuckoo songs at all... I think I have John’s email I’ll drop him a line..
Don

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:30 PM »

... I think I have John’s email I’ll drop him a line..
Don

you could try sending him a pm.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:44 AM »

Melnet has a specofic link button, 2nd on 2nd row, but even easier …

1. press the share button in youtube (or whatever), select copy link
2. Simply paste (ctrl-C or right click) the link, "as is" into your forum text

Melnet / SMF does the rest! I may be churlish but have stopped answering queries that require me to make a search beforehand, maybe get that wrong 😐

Internet, more stricly WWW is "about" links. Hope this helps, also others …  😀
  _       _    _      _ 

Howard Jones

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:21 AM »

I was in a session once where someone started off with a couple of different versions of "Cuckoos Nest", someone else then carried on with another version, and so on for about 15 minutes before we ran out.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 10:38:41 AM »

....and every version from Howard's session,  if played by a Morris musician, would reflect the way their side dances it in their tradition.
A good tune would be brought from one side to another if hiring a musician, or heard by your musician, which did happen.
Nowadays with more mobile people and the internet the same thing can happen with a tune.
Take 'Serpentiner och Konfetti' a Swedish tune introduced to the morris world by Ian Dedic of this parish and danced by sides all over. A modern version of the old process of sharing great tunes and adapting it to fit your side's style.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 10:54:18 AM »

Hello all :)
... I taught myself to play it although I think my bass could be a bit more imaginative.. anyone know anything about this version ?
Cheers
Don

Don't be too embarrassed about not being able to play as well as Squeezy. Very few people can.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 09:25:51 PM »

I would suggest that the OP learns how to create a link to a point in a Youtube video he is referring to. It's not difficult and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but if you have a specific question then please do us the courtesy of setting a link to the precise moment a tune you are asking about starts. If you don't know how to do this then ask, we will be more than happy to help.  ;D

Or we could just give the help without being harsh or expecting to be asked, that's how we do things on melnet.

Create a YouTube link to a point in the video
Play the video on YouTube until you get to the place in question, stop the video (spacebar will do that), select SHARE (next to the thumb, up thumb down under the video window), when the window opens tick the START AT checkbox and copy the link which will start the video at your requested place.

Donski

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 09:57:35 AM »

The word from the great man himself... it’s Paddy Carey’s Jig !
Thanks to those who were kind...
Don

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 10:18:39 AM »

The word from the great man himself... it’s Paddy Carey’s Jig !
Thanks to those who were kind...
Don

Thought it sounded Irish! Glad you got it sorted.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

penn

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 10:41:34 AM »

I’m not usually one for an argument (particularly with Mr Squeezy) and i’m very happy to be shot down in flames for being wrong but the third Cuckoo tune sounds very much like Cuckoos Nest longborough on the Morris Ring site https://themorrisring.org/sites/default/files/music/longboroughCuckoosNest11.mp3?uuid=5d29a550c7947
I thought Paddy Carey’s Jig was the totm we did in February? That does appear on the Spiers and Knight album and presumably in this concert video too.
And to stir the pot even further, isn’t Paddy Carey’s English anyway?
>:E
Gren

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:28 AM »

We did Paddy Carey's Fortune, Penn, which is, I think, a different tune. At least it sounds very different to me. You're confusion over the Cuckoo thing is because the OP incorrectly thought PCs Jig was part of the same set. It is the tune that follows it.

[I take my remark back, on another listen, it is Paddy Carey's Fortune. I just didn't recognise it  :|bl  It is, indeed, an English Music Hall spoof on an Irish tune]

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,23470.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:14:09 AM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith

Donski

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 11:03:28 AM »

The confusion being; John introduces three songs as a trio of cuckoos...  they then play Paddy’s jig without introduction.. ( on the video anyhow) in my naivety I assumed it was part of the cuckoo trio... my search for a tune like that under “cuckoo” proved fruitless, hence my coming to you guys for help.  My first post in years... the rest is history :)
Don

penn

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »

Aha! That’s cleared that one up then, ta.
I still think their Paddy Carey’s Jig is the same as Paddy Carey’s fortune (or at least, the one I did for totm was). PC’s Fortune was the title of the song I believe, but the tune is the same. And I still maintain the original song was English but that’ll get me in trouble.
Gren
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal