Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cuckoos Nest version ?  (Read 2153 times)

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Cuckoos Nest version ?
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »

You're right Penn, I updated my post.
So far as the origin of the tune goes, Mike nailed it

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015096441368;view=1up;seq=1

Maybe you could add your version to the TOTM Don?
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

penn

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »

Yes Greg that’s what I remembered seeing. Before the internet it wouldn’t have been easy to verify the origin of a tune. But... who knows anyway? Maybe someone will find some more “proof” at a later date?
Nice tune and Squeezy and Pete make a great job of it.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »

I’m not usually one for an argument (particularly with Mr Squeezy) and i’m very happy to be shot down in flames for being wrong but the third Cuckoo tune sounds very much like Cuckoos Nest longborough on the Morris Ring site
You're quite right; I'd forgotten the Longborough tune was a major version. You wouldn't think I'd been a Morris musician for 47 years, would you? Mind you, it is very similar to Ilmington..... (and in my own defence, it's  probably 25 or 30 years since I've had to play any Longborough!)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:13:58 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Gena Crisman

• 🇬🇧
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 09:18:04 PM »

So, as far as I can tell, still after everything, no one has posted the exact URL with a time index;

https://youtu.be/oOFTio1zkS8?t=561 - shortly before Peter starts playing his intro part for Paddy Carey's.

In any case, thank you very much Malcolm for a link to the video in question - I had no idea if was an hour long recording of them performing, uploaded by the festival itself. I shall watch it with some interest at a later time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal