Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blank W: lines with Tradmusician app  (Read 1197 times)

Jozz

• Good talker
  • Greetings from the Netherlands!
    • Stichting Bon Artz
Blank W: lines with Tradmusician app
« on: July 18, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »

I use the combi EasyABC - Tradmusician (android). Recently I began using lyrics for the first time.

I found that EasyABC interprets a blank W: line like expected, it displays a blank line and white space to seperate chorus/verse or chunks of text where it is convenient.

Tradmusician app however, does not. It will disregard the blank, and the next lyric line immediately follows without white space.

Funny thing is, while the app does not show blank W: lines on the main ABC display page of a tune, it does so within the ABC editor of the tune. So the lines are imported with the file, but ignored somehow on the ABC and sheet music display pages.

I was wondering if this might be a bug or am I missing a setting somewhere? As a workaround, I put a character like '~' on the line, but it would be nice if it would just work like EasyABC.
Stichting Bon Artz - We present and support authentic music and small-scale performance arts.

Roger Hare

• Urmston, Lancashire, U.K.
Re: Blank W: lines with Tradmusician app
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 10:40:55 AM »

...As a workaround, I put a character like '~' on the line...
Have you tried putting \040 on your 'blank' W: line? This is the octal code for a space - I stress,
I haven't tried this, but it might work, and thus get around the tedious fudge of putting a 'dummy'
character in there (I used to have to do something similar with text annotations, in cases where
there are two lines of annotations, one of which is largely empty - I used a full-stop...).

I don't think the 'parser/editor' within TradMusician is as 'sophisticated' as the one within EasyABC,
so it might well barf at something like this. Certainly it's the case that using a slur (A2 A2), when
a tie A2-A2 is meant causes TradMusician to go completely bonkers when playing back a tune.(*)

If you're a masochist with too much time on your hands ((:)), you could look at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-breaking_space

(*) Or maybe it's the other way round - can't remember now...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 11:04:53 AM by Roger Hare »
For more about Manchester Morris, The Beech Band Folk Club or anything else,  please use the private messaging facility.
My (large) ABC Tune Book is here.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 02:12:02 PM »

In my experience mobile apps are nothing like as full featured as computer programs like Easy ABC, ABC Explorer etc. My apps are IOS so I've no direct knowledge of Tradmusician other than that of another musician in the morris side I'm in. He seems to spend a lot of time swearing at his android tablet and I know he uses Tradmusician.

Under the body text and before the first W: line, you could try the command:

%%vskip 20  (the larger the number, the larger the space)

I use Tunebook SD on an iPad which is often considered to be the best ABC app around, but to be honest it ignores most %% commands, although it does accept vskip. It's worth a try but I wouldn't hold your breath!

Edit: typo!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:46:04 PM by Pete Dunk »
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Jozz

• Good talker
  • Greetings from the Netherlands!
    • Stichting Bon Artz
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys

I have tried both but neither worked in my case. I guess I'm sticking to the workaround of putting a seperating char instead.

Most likely one of the things that got overlooked in development, but I found no place to post a bug report other than a Play store review. Last update of the app was april 2018, so I guess that's it.

I actually have no problems with Tradmusician. You can't beat the price. I use it only for displaying, not for editing, and this app can read from a synced folder which is a must.
Stichting Bon Artz - We present and support authentic music and small-scale performance arts.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal