Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mystery ABC instructions...  (Read 355 times)

Roger Hare

• Respected Sage
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
Mystery ABC instructions...
« on: July 29, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »

I've come across an (old) ABC file which has instructions like:

% !STAVE 0 '' @
% !INSTR 'Staff 1' 0 0 @

I've looked in GG's Making Music With ABC2, Steve Mansfield's Tutorial, Steve Merrony's
ABC Reference Card and the ABC standard and can find no reference to such instructions.
They do appear to be commented out...

Can anyone tell me what they mean please?

Thank you.

Roger.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 05:12:42 PM by Roger Hare »
Roger Hare, Urmston, Lancs., U.K. (rjhare at outlook dot com)   Manchester Morris Men   Beech Band
Music Packages (ABC/PDF/MIDI)    Thompson's Compleat Tutor for Fife (c.1765)

Gena Crisman

• Respected Sage
Re: Mystery ABC instructions...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 06:16:20 PM »

I do not recognise them, and they do indeed appear to be commented out - but, maybe that is on purpose. Commented out lines are sometimes still used as messages to the programs interpreting the ABC code (eg they both end in a suspicious @ sign), so, I would guess maybe they're instructions for an older piece of software that has fallen from favour. On top of that guess, I'd think that they seem to be attempting to label said staves in some unimportant way.

Roger Hare

• Respected Sage
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 07:04:30 PM »

... I would guess maybe they're instructions for an older piece of software that has fallen from favour. On top of that guess, I'd think that they seem to be attempting to label said staves in some unimportant way.
I think you may well be correct.
The text associated with the file mentions Harmony Assistant, but I can't see anything about
these directives in the HA web pages (indeed, it seems to be an entirely GUI-interface program).
I tried 'uncommenting' the lines to see what happened and (as I expected) the ABC generated
score was mangled (for instance, the A and E of STAVE were interpreted as musical notes A and E).
I think I will just delete them...

Thanks.

Roger
Roger Hare, Urmston, Lancs., U.K. (rjhare at outlook dot com)   Manchester Morris Men   Beech Band

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2019, 11:32:40 PM »

They're just some kind of aide memoire manual comments, aren't they? I use Harmony Assistant. It's entirely GUI based, though you can import and export ABC. Results can be quirky but I've never seen it generate anything like that.
Greg Smith
DG Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, CF Hohner, Pressed Wood 1040C

Roger Hare

• Respected Sage
  • Urmston, Lancs., U.K.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »

The final answer is that this stuff is an unwanted, but harmless by-product of a program called
Music Time and some other unidentifed software used to generate the ABC files. Nothing to do
with ABC...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal