Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing with instruments in A, eg., Half long pipes, fiddles  (Read 5615 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Playing with instruments in A, eg., Half long pipes, fiddles
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2019, 02:40:59 PM »

So doesn't the context of the song need considered before you decide to leave a note out, or to change it? This isn't black and White is it? There are shades of grey here ...

I totally agree with that, David. And the use in chordal accompaniment of notes that don't occur in the melody of a folk tune that has a gapped scale is something I used to waste time thinking about. (Lately I have decided that life is too short to be a (total) purist and besides everyone thinks that a C chord against the long E in that G-pentatonic jig that has no Cs in the melody sounds great, and it's hard to convince them or yourself that something else sounds better!)

What made me ask whether you were winding us up were your words
Think the main place I know it is as a lead into the tonic, used at times. As just a lead in probably it can be dropped.

So out of interest what are most melodeon/folk tunes like, how often do they use a 7th, and what is it used for?

The question about what most melodeon/folk tunes are like is what really boggled my mind. Let's just say that not all traditional tunes are in the Lovely Joan category with gapped scales. I don't even want to start thinking about what the 7th degree of the scale might be "used for" - you seemed to be implying that where they occur 7ths aren't important and can conveniently be dispensed with... and I thought, you can't be serious!  ;)  :|glug
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:43:46 PM by Stiamh »

gettabettabox

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2019, 04:21:00 PM »

Last night, when going to sleep, David was pondering on ''Twinkle twinkle little star'' and ''Ba-ba black sheep.''

Sounds pretty serious to me.

[All in jest David  ;)]

Matthew B

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »

If you're going to do it on the box, better to vamp on the off-beat only. And if you stay silent where the chords don't :||: fit, hey presto, you've got a regulator accompaniment!  :||:
Thanks Stiamh, that's very helpful.  Also this fellow has posted a handy tutorial on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftIOZzwvG4c.
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2019, 04:30:09 PM »

Last night, when going to sleep, David was pondering on ''Twinkle twinkle little star'' and ''Ba-ba black sheep.''

[All in jest David  ;)]
Brain that won't switch off - so might as well use it to do something. Alas only songs I know by heart are nursery rhymes ....

gettabettabox

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »

Nocturnal or early morning ''tune torment'' is not uncommon in musicians methinks. Asleep or awake.

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »

That's totally normal with me. Nay wookin' furries.
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2019, 09:09:00 PM »

What made me ask whether you were winding us up were your words
Think the main place I know it is as a lead into the tonic, used at times. As just a lead in probably it can be dropped.

So out of interest what are most melodeon/folk tunes like, how often do they use a 7th, and what is it used for?

The question about what most melodeon/folk tunes are like is what really boggled my mind. Let's just say that not all traditional tunes are in the Lovely Joan category with gapped scales. I don't even want to start thinking about what the 7th degree of the scale might be "used for" - you seemed to be implying that where they occur 7ths aren't important and can conveniently be dispensed with... and I thought, you can't be serious!  ;)  :|glug
The 'Leading-note" is a common way of saying the seventh https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leading-tone and wikipedia says "leads melodically to the tonic" hence its name (can't be bother to search further).

As Sharps carols were easily available, had a quick look through, again it was something like half the carols contained no seventh. Mainly when they started on the tonic; where as carols that start on the fifth or so, the tune often went through the seventh.

Yes you are right, the gap is odd to me as well, semitone are important to music, as major and minor chords show.

I guess half the problem of changing the seventh for another note in a chord, is it means recognising a chord in real time, I can't work that fast :(

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2019, 09:43:18 PM »

Incidentally the small pipes are tuned either in A or C, concert pitch.

Except for ...

...and there's more :)

So, the answer is to know exactly which piper and set of pipes you will be playing with!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Peadar

« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2019, 11:09:23 PM »

Incidentally the small pipes are tuned either in A or C, concert pitch.

Except for ...

...and there's more :)
So, the answer is to know exactly which piper and set of pipes you will be playing with!
Which probably depends on what country you are in and what part of that country....another reason for melnet members to include location on their profiles!
Why should the devil have all the best instruments???
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal