Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement straps for Liliputs  (Read 745 times)

Barry Spaul

Replacement straps for Liliputs
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:07:18 AM »

Having just had a Liliput converted to DG, I had the unfortunate experience of a sudden strap splitting. As I say having just received it I was luckily still handling it with the care normally reserved for a “new born”. So I caught it in a vice like two handed save. So the point of my story is, does anyone know where to get replacement straps for my three Liliput lovelies? After my experience I am wary of trusting thin bits of ninety year old leather!

NickF

• Regular debater
Re: Replacement straps for Liliputs
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:13:11 AM »

I've bought straps for these from Charlie Marshall.
These - http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Shoulder_Straps.html#25
For the more - erm; 'rotund' player (like myself!) he does an XL version as well  (:)
I don't believe that padded versions are needed as Liliputs are so light...
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

NickF

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:14:55 AM »

Forgot to add, to use these it may be necessary to fit strap brackets (an alternative might be split rings or similar) - depends on your Liliput.
Serenellini 233, Streb, D/G Pokerwork, D/G Liliput, Bb/Eb Liliput, Bb/Eb Comedy Wardrobe (Hohner Model X), Bb/Eb Accidental Erika

If you can smile when things are going wrong, you must have someone else in mind to blame

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 10:22:24 AM »

Or if you want to make new straps then you can copy the original pattern, use the original buckle(s) and rivet the straps to the brackets as the originals were.  I’ve not been able to reproduce the grey finish in the originals.  If making new left hand straps I use veg tanned goatskin which can be sufficiently strong while also being thin enough to go through the original buckle.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Grumpy

• Grumpy
  • Regular debater
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:09:11 PM »

Same problems with my Liliput. Solved with black 1.2 cms leather straping from Ebay (grey not availble though) and fixing to the old buckles and strap mounts using "leather screw Rivits", available in several finishes and lenghts from our friends at Ebay very cheaply. When making final assembly would suggest a very small drop of LocTite on the screws (superglue would also work). Base strap is a standard Hohner from Charlie Marshall used without adjusting buckle just fixed using the original fishplates and two screws leaving several sets of adjusting holes as per modern pokerwork, all works fine.
Chris D, Surrey, UK
Getting old but still learning. Pokerwork G/D, Saltarelle L'Elfique G/D, Castagnari Lilly G/D and Hohner Liliput Declubed G/D + English concertinas, mandolins, recorders, tin whistles and other items unknown to household managment

invadm

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 04:39:33 PM »

if you wish to keep to the original grey finish,you can buy Unfinished leather strap and die it your self..small bottle of grey leather die and strip of leather cheaply available on eBay ;) you can finish the length/size as you like.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal