Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Older one row pokerwork bass clatter - buttons removal  (Read 2367 times)

suesqueezer

• Piana accordion player now attempting all buttons!
Older one row pokerwork bass clatter - buttons removal
« on: January 14, 2008, 08:28:34 PM »

Hi there everyone,

As a new member, I find this site greatly informative! I've recently attempted to do some adjustments on my older honey Pokerwork Hohner, and would like to attempt to silence the bass side clatter. Can the existing bass buttons be removed (how's that done?) to put felt or leather washers under the buttons and also within on the valves, can I adhere another piece of leather to existing surface? (Two of the 4 basses are extremely noisey) Your alternatives to my suggested remedies also appreciated! Thanks !

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Older one row pokerwork bass clatter - buttons removal
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 10:03:04 PM »

If you want to do both the buttons and the pallets, it is much, much easier to dismantle part of the bass mechanism, than to try to do it in place.  Trust me on this, I've done it dozens of times.  What might appear to be shortcuts take longer in the end.

The buttons are a very tight push fit on the ends of the rods.  It is quite easy to cause damage while removing them, and even easier to bend the rods while replacing them.  Less potentially damaging is to remove the pivot pins on the inboard ends of the rods, But before you do this check you have some pins of the right diameter as replacements, the originals usually break when you straighten them to pull them out.  Once the buttons on their rods are out you can either fit a new felt washer, or ream out the holes and line with a felt bush.

To put new facings on the pallets you really should remove the old leather first.  If you just add more you will fine the buttons sit low and you have to bend the levers to get them back to the correct height. Its not impossible, but you need to know the consequences.  To remove the old leather you need to remove the pallets from their levers first, peel off the old leather and sand smooth, the glue on a nice soft leather about 1 to 1.5mm thick.

Have fun!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

suesqueezer

• Piana accordion player now attempting all buttons!
Re: Older one row pokerwork bass clatter - buttons removal
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 04:08:14 AM »

Thanks for the great instructions - I will no doubt have fun tinkering away!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.