Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oakwood Baffetti's  (Read 3113 times)

lefthandsqueezer

Oakwood Baffetti's
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:16:19 AM »

Hello all.
I'm looking for some general feedback regarding Oakwood Baffetti Binci II boxes.
I am a left handed player and play true left handed instruments most of which have been especially made for me by Castagnari (lovely people).
When I order a Casta I know I'm going to get a top quality box that will last but I want a fairly loud two voice and baffetti have agreed to make one for me.
So just general comments from Baffetti owners on quality and playability, are you happy with it? etc.
Just looking for info to help me decide.
Cheers.
Hohner Pokerwork (Modified by me to be a Lefty.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
Re: Oakwood Baffetti's
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 11:24:11 AM »

I have had a DB Oakwood Super 2 since 2015 and it is my box of choice.  Easy to play, loud when it needs to be and subtle when needed as well.  Whilst the original tuning was great, I have had it Dedic tuned to -5/+5 cents by Martyn White who has done a superb job.  I wouldn't part with it for love nor money.

When you say "...baffetti have agreed to make one for me...", my understanding is that Oakwood Baffettis are standard Baffetti boxes that are "pimped" by Martyn Banks at Oakwood Instruments and available only at squeezeboxes.co.uk.  So Baffetti making one for you might not be the same as an "Oakwood" Baffetti - a straight comparison might not be possible/sensible.

I also have a DB Black Pearl II (bought on a whim at Shrewsbury last year).  It is OK and plays well, but is nowhere near as good as the Super 2, so consequently gets played less.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:30:39 AM by nigelr »
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:34:30 PM »

Thanks for that Nigelr. I was thinking it would be a good box but decided to just get some opinions before parting with the cash. I have spoken to Oakwood and they in turn spoke to Baffetti so I am sure it will be the same just that the reed blocks would be fitted the other way around during construction.
Being a two voice it won't be that complex internally and there is only the one bass stop to deal with. I know a little about this sort of thing having converted a couple of Hohners the lefty spec during my time.
Can't see it will be a problem for them.
Left handed Castagnari Handry, Mory and sander (Yes they will make you one.) Lovely people.

Joan Kureczka

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »

I agree with Nigelr -- love my Super II. Very fast, capable of being very subtle or quite loud. Top end a bit squeeky is the only negative I can think of.  Beautiful tone on the basses. Still my favorite, and most played box.
MAD: Oakwood Baffetti Super II, Loffet Pro, Oakwood 3-voice, Castagnari Sander, Salterelle Pastourelle II, Smythe "Flea," and a crazy blinged up Pokerwork

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 09:26:35 PM »

The Oakwood Baffetti Binci is the chosen weapon for many morris musicians, including Ian Dedic and the rest of Hammersmith. With the Binci reeds, they are loud, responsive, well built boxes with a strong bass section.

The Oakwood DB Super 2 enjoyed by Joan and Nigel uses different reeds with the objective of delivering a more subtle sound overall.

My Oakwood Binci is my most played box.
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 01:39:25 PM »

Thanks Andy. You've answered my next question which was going to be, what is the difference between the Oakwood DB Binci II and the super.
I'm looking for a loud box. My best instrument at the moment is my Mory, it has a lovely tone but as well as weighing in at nearly 12lbs I find it a bit quiet for sessions.
Now this info has put a spanner in the works as I will have to decide between the Okwd DB binci II or the Super as there's only a couple of hundred quid or so in it. I've looked but can't find any youtube vids comparing the two. Maybe Martyn should put some videos out.
Talking of Oakwood, they must be on holiday at the mo as their not answering their emails.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »

Martyn is currently getting blown away in the storm hitting Sidmouth Folk Festival whilst holding down his Squeezebox stall in the Music tent.
On wednesday a friend was buying a DB Oakwood Special 3voice, giving it a confirmatory squeeze and I overheard Martyn say he'd be away for a few days afterwards.
Just so's ya knows!
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:28:45 PM »

Thanks Andy. You've answered my next question which was going to be, what is the difference between the Oakwood DB Binci II and the super.
I'm looking for a loud box. My best instrument at the moment is my Mory, it has a lovely tone but as well as weighing in at nearly 12lbs I find it a bit quiet for sessions.
Now this info has put a spanner in the works as I will have to decide between the Okwd DB binci II or the Super as there's only a couple of hundred quid or so in it. I've looked but can't find any youtube vids comparing the two. Maybe Martyn should put some videos out.
Talking of Oakwood, they must be on holiday at the mo as their not answering their emails.
Confirming Andy's post about the difference between the Dino Baffetti Binci II and the Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super. My wife owned each of these boxes for a few years. Just to be clear, we are talking D/G instruments here.

The DB Binci II, as Andy has said, is indeed a LOUD box. Great for morris - knocks pigeons off perches at 100 yards - but a bit too shouty for companiable sessions or solo playing. Also it is a 10/9 button layout, so you are missing the highest (knee end) notes on each row. That may not be a problem for you if you don't normally play up the dusty end, but it can become restrictive with a 4th button start. My wife got annoyed with the shoutiness of the box after a year or so, and got a...

...Dino Baffetti Oakwood Super. Still a loud box but not quite as bright as the DB Binci II. I can't remember if it had Binci reeds - I think they were Voci Armoniche, which would account for the slightly mellower sound. Also still the 10/9 layout. After another year of playing she sold that too and got a...

...Castgnari Laura, which she is very happy with. Plenty loud enough for morris, but also flexible in tone for sessions and gentle ensemble playing.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Robin Tims

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »

I have had my Oakwood Binci 2 for just over a year. The choice was based on the need for a light compact quality box with 'normal' sized buttons and spacing, which sadly tended to move me away from my favourite maker of choice, Castagnari. My old fingers are not as nimble as once they were and the necessary absence of a couple of treble buttons at the squeaky end seemed a price worth paying. I stayed with 3rd button start of course.

First I tried a couple of standard Baffettis. The first one was well used with lovely soft bellows and good tone but, well, a bit tired, so I tried a brand new one and hated it really, after a while, as it just seemed so stiff, unwilling, and generally hard work.

Rather nervously I bought, necessarily unseen and untried, a standard new Oakwood Binci 2. This was a revelation. Nice soft bellows, fast response, good tone and excellent volume, though a bit more challenging to play quietly. Very nice bass end (with thirds coupler). The action suits me perfectly. Construction and finish seem beyond reproach and include decent straps etc. Only problem initially was one sticky reed on the B bass chord but this snag disappeared with more playing and now seems fine.

Much as I did love my little Lily D/G I nearly always reach for the Binci.

'best

Rob

Castagnari Clovis D/G. Irish Conc Co 'Eiru' C/G. Wheatstone Aeola 48b English Treble. Weltmeister Rubin 60 Bass P. Accordion.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

All the Oakwood Supers that I’ve seen had Artigiana reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 04:37:08 PM »

Playing style and tuning has a lot to do with volume as well.  One reason I like the Super 2 rather than the Binci is that it is not as harsh but can be just as loud when needed.  Martyn White's Dedic tuning has made mine very even across the treble end in terms of volume and tone and I can certainly be heard alongside a Binci when playing out for Morris.  I think I probably have to squeeze a bit harder on the Super 2, but really not by much.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »

I quite regret putting my Super 3 up for sale (offers definitely open !) but needs much unfortunately. I don't know how they compare with the 2s, but mine has certainly been loud enough for morris, low reeds in or out, but still subtle enough for performance with violin and guitar.The bass is really good in my opinion. Ok, maybe the build quality isn't quite as good as a Castagnari - but then you pay quite a bit more for one.

Julian
Old Bones Dance Band

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 09:33:31 PM »

I had one called Leonardo (the Binci) and it was a lovely box, still is in fact, I sold it to a mate.

However... then I got a 'proper' Oakwood, number one of the new range.  There's no comparison.  The Oakwood is simply stunning to play and the build quality a whole level up from the Baffetti.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:36:34 PM by Helena Handcart »
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 09:30:15 AM »

I have owned both 2 and 3 voice standard Binci machines. 2 voice=loud and light, my first choice for playing for morris. 3 voice=much more flexible, great sound and response but got a bit heavy for me so got sold and replaced by a Tommy.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2019, 04:48:11 PM »

Completely agree with earlier comments, it's a case of horses for courses.

If the primary use is morris go for the plain Baffetti Binci, it's got more "bite" to the sound than the Super and because of this sounds louder and is better at cutting through background noise; I also think you need less effort to get a given amount of sound (loud) out of it than the Super. It's also perfectly usable in sessions so long as you hold it back a bit, also OK for song accompaniment if you do this but the tone isn't ideal because it's so strident. Also the Binci reeds seem pretty much indestructible, between Smiffs we've got (I think) 8 of these boxes and I don't think anyone has had to replace a reed in spite of mucho thrashing.

If you want a box better suited for quieter playing and song accompaniment but still very good for Morris (compared to most other boxes) then the Super might be better. The 2V one is lighter and (I think) a little bit louder and brighter than the 3V one (in 2V mode), but the 3V one has the low reed option when you want that sound.

The biggest difference is the way the volume changes with bellows pressure; the Binci gets loud very quickly so you need little effort to play outdoors for Morris, and goes all the way up to 11 if you squeeze harder. The Super has a more gradual volume increase (and is easier to play quietly) with pressure, needs a bit more effort (for the same volume) for outdoor Morris, and only goes up to 10 -- which is still louder than most other boxes.

All are excellent boxes, and should of course be ordered with Dedic tuning ;-)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:00:27 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

lefthandsqueezer

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 07:23:43 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback, very useful. I initially thought the Binci II would be my choice but reading all the posts I think I will go for the super as I mainly play in sessions and want a lighter faster box than my Mory (much as I love its sound) and play for morris very rarely.
I have emailed Oakwood to ask if a lefty version of the super is possible and as Baffetti have already said yes to a lefty Binci II I'm hoping and assuming that it is.
Not had a reply as yet so I don't know if Oakwood are at a festival or maybe they cannot contact Baffetti as August is holiday time in Italy.
Lastly, do any of you knowledgeable folk know if Oakwood are attending Towersy festival this year as it's my local?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 09:11:11 PM »

Not had a reply as yet so I don't know if Oakwood are at a festival or maybe they cannot contact Baffetti as August is holiday time in Italy.
Lastly, do any of you knowledgeable folk know if Oakwood are attending Towersy festival this year as it's my local?

Yes, I doubt you'll get a reply from Italy until September.
I spoke to Martin at Sidmouth. Oakwood are doing Whitby but not Towersey.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

richard.fleming

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 09:05:08 AM »

The Super has a more gradual volume increase (and is easier to play quietly) with pressure, needs a bit more effort (for the same volume) for outdoor Morris, and only goes up to 10 -- which is still louder than most other boxes.

'up to 10'? 10 what please?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

JD

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 09:59:50 AM »

If you haven't seen the film "This is Spinal Tap" you won't get the joke.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »

The Super has a more gradual volume increase (and is easier to play quietly) with pressure, needs a bit more effort (for the same volume) for outdoor Morris, and only goes up to 10 -- which is still louder than most other boxes.

'up to 10'? 10 what please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xgx4k83zzc
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal