Discussions > General Discussion

A4 or A5

(1/2) > >>

windybutton:
Hello there,

I have a couple of questions

On my "Musical note to frequency conversion chart" it has A4 = 220 HZ and A5 = 440
And on other sites it has A4 = 440 , am I missing something?

Sometimes when writing about tuning beats people may state a two reed box as
M0   M+ 15 .
if it's not written as A = 440 am I to assume that's what their meaning?.

Looking at a Hohner GCF MM button layout chart it has the low G3 just as G then as you move up the scale C (4) has a little 1 next to it , then next octave C (5) has a little 2 next to it then a little 3 next octave C 6
What do they mean?

Any Info greatly appreciated

Roy

Bill Young:

--- Quote from: windybutton on August 12, 2019, 06:50:17 AM ---Hello there,

I have a couple of questions

On my "Musical note to frequency conversion chart" it has A4 = 220 HZ and A5 = 440
And on other sites it has A4 = 440 , am I missing something?

--- End quote ---
If your "Musical note to frequency conversion chart" is like this one it is wrong in starting the octave numbering from A. Octave numbering starts from C. C4 = 262 and A4 = 440. See, for example, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_pitch_notation

Tone Dumb Greg:
I suppose, if it's an LMM box the Low A reed on the middle octave will be tuned to 220hz. The M reeds will be 440Hz.

Steve_freereeder:

--- Quote from: windybutton on August 12, 2019, 06:50:17 AM ---Sometimes when writing about tuning beats people may state a two reed box as
M0   M+ 15 .

--- End quote ---
This refers to the offset between the 'at pitch' reed and the sharp, tremolo reed. In this case the difference of +15 is almost certainly in cents, not beats per second (which would be very wet indeed!)

A difference between the two reeds of 15 cents will result in a tremolo of approx. 8 beats per second for the note A4. It will vary across the range, so for a constant offset of 15 cents you will get the following beats per second (approx. values)

A3: 4 bps
A4: 8 bps
A5: 16 bps
A6: 32 bps

As anything more than about 8 bps is hideously wet and to the point of being excruciatingly out of tune, the cents offset needs to be reduced as you go higher in pitch.

baz parkes:
I thought this was going to be about tune print outs for workshops.... :|bl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version