Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Halsway DG Weekend 2020  (Read 2361 times)

RachelAtHalsway

• Good talker
Halsway DG Weekend 2020
« on: August 15, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »

Details are now up on the website for next year's DG Weekend at Halsway.

Andy Cutting, Anne Niepold and Hazel Askew return as tutors for Improver (those familiar with the basics of the instrument but still getting to grips with things like right and left hand co-ordination and row crossing) through to Advanced levels; Mel Biggs will be running a separate course in parallel to the main weekend aimed at total beginners (boxes available to borrow). Acorn Instruments will be back too. Tutors' gig on Sat night. Camping available in addition to accommodation in the house.

We're already 3/4 full, so don't hang about!

DG Weekend (Andy, Anne, Hazel): https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/dg-melodeon-weekend-2/
DG Beginners Weekend (Mel): https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/dg-melodeon-beginners-weekend/

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
Re: Halsway DG Weekend 2020
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 12:27:11 PM »

It's a shame all the single rooms have gone.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Sharon

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 06:46:12 PM »

Details are now up on the website for next year's DG Weekend at Halsway.

Andy Cutting, Anne Niepold and Hazel Askew return as tutors for Improver (those familiar with the basics of the instrument but still getting to grips with things like right and left hand co-ordination and row crossing) through to Advanced levels; Mel Biggs will be running a separate course in parallel to the main weekend aimed at total beginners (boxes available to borrow). Acorn Instruments will be back too. Tutors' gig on Sat night. Camping available in addition to accommodation in the house.

We're already 3/4 full, so don't hang about!

DG Weekend (Andy, Anne, Hazel): https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/dg-melodeon-weekend-2/
DG Beginners Weekend (Mel): https://halswaymanor.org.uk/event/dg-melodeon-beginners-weekend/

Are there showers / loos for campers?

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:29 AM »

I’m pretty sure that if you’ve paid for the course they will let you use the manor’s facilities. Including meals. But best to check with them directly, they’re very helpful.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »

It's a fantastic weekend!
The tutors are excellent, as is the  accommodation and food. My non participating wife has enjoyed just getting away for a weekend and being pampered. You can also walk up the footpaths onto the top of the Quantockjs.

I immediately booked for next year. It comes recommended as an excellent weekend all round!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 09:35:24 AM »

I've signed up for one of the singing weeks in Feburary. May look to do a melodeon course later - that is if I can find one that will take a BC player ...

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »

They typically have different prices for residents, non residents and campers.  Campers includes meals.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:14:49 AM »

Yes, all tastes catered for, in fact catered very well for!
David, the weekend we're talking about is specifically a DG weekend, I don't think they run other flavours at Halsway, but Rachel will know.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 02:19:58 PM »

I'm going camping  :||:
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »

...David, the weekend we're talking about is specifically a DG weekend, I don't think they run other flavours at Halsway, but Rachel will know.
Cheers
Q

The Leveret week should be well worth while. I did last year's weekend and it was quite an experience and the evening sessions were as good as you'll find anywhere.
Greg Smith

David Summers

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 02:52:25 PM »

The Leveret week should be well worth while. I did last year's weekend and it was quite an experience and the evening sessions were as good as you'll find anywhere.
Leveret I see as one of the top bands on their respective instruments, so I expect there week to be very high class. That to my mind needs I first need to be very comfortable with my melodeon, able to play in several keys with fluidity. Alas I'm not there yet, just simple tunes so far, and looking to move away from C - so probably need to become comfortable first.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 03:37:11 PM »

Greg, do I therefore deduce we might actually have chance to meet and be able to chat without our Morris sides going in opposite directions?
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 06:13:45 PM »

Greg, do I therefore deduce we might actually have chance to meet and be able to chat without our Morris sides going in opposite directions?
Q

After all the brief encounters  ;D.
Greg Smith

RachelAtHalsway

• Good talker
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 11:51:55 AM »

Quick update:

Andy, Anne & Hazel are teaching three groups - Elementary, Medium & Advanced.
Mel is leading a 'Getting Started' weekend alongside.
I hope that makes sense. See website for descriptions of each group.

The Elementary group is now full.
We've a couple of places left in the Medium group.
Advanced is ok at the moment, and we've space also in the 'Getting Started' thread with Mel Biggs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal