Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instrument incorrectly stored ?  (Read 868 times)

nedediah

Instrument incorrectly stored ?
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:05:04 PM »

I was away from home for a week, and on my return found that my better half, thinking to protect my beloved B. Loffet instrument from visiting marauders of the grandchild variety, thoughtfully put it in its case...upside down (i.e. with the bass buttons towards the floor) !  :( I don't think I can hear been any problem on playing it, but is it likely that the valve leathers could have been damaged?

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Instrument incorrectly stored ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:17:41 PM »

I don't think a week stored in that position is going to make much difference.
However, from the context of your post, are we to understand that you normally store the instrument in its case laying flat (horizontal)? To minimise an unwanted set in the valves (leathers) you should always store the instrument vertically, on its feet. If it's inside the case, store the case in that position too.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

nedediah

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:33:46 PM »

I don't think a week stored in that position is going to make much difference.
However, from the context of your post, are we to understand that you normally store the instrument in its case laying flat (horizontal)? To minimise an unwanted set in the valves (leathers) you should always store the instrument vertically, on its feet. If it's inside the case, store the case in that position too.

No, I always store it correctly, on its "feet", whether in its case or not. Hopefully the instrument is fine and just thought it was in Australia!

mselic

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 09:47:48 PM »

Most one-row boxes sit ‘upright’, meaning that neither the bass side or the keyboard are facing down. Technically speaking, this would mean that the valves are not resting in the correct position and would sag over time, however my one-rows have been sitting that way for years and all of the valves are just fine. I don’t think you have to worry about the valves sagging as much as is sometimes claimed...
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 09:58:45 PM »

Melodeon/accordion valves don’t suffer from droop in the way that concertina reeds do, so don’t worry about them.  This is especially true of modern instruments which have plastic valves on most or all reeds.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Dick Sadler

• Good talker
  • Pt.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 10:15:47 PM »

Seems to have turned out alright in the end.
 As a beginner never realised about positioning on storage. But on reflection and with benefit of hindsight what are the feet for!
However, seemed to have been reassured by the last comment so perhaps the last 5 months of laying box on its back won’t result in the damage I might have first thought.
If I didn’t have bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck at all.....

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 07:03:23 AM »

The real box killer storage solution is leaving it in a cupboard where condensation gets at it...so warm damp air (from heated but poorly ventilated home) alternating with cold air e.g. inside the cupboard where the air doesn’t get heated, so it cools in there, forms mould on your shoes (or whatever) and totally wrecks your box. I’ve seen a few instruments that have been finished off in this way, which is why when I get calls from people who say 'I haven’t played it for 10 years', I first try to establish where it was stored/if it has signs of damp (jammed couplers are a sign of trouble ahead).
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal